• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Do you think that the second return of both Misty and Brock was meant to be in tandem with spring break? Because that’s what seems to be the case to me

Does anyone wanna see a remake of the Diamond and Pearl series? I know when the remakes for the DP games were announced, I got this weird fantasy of a DP ANIME remake being announced, with only Ash and Dawn travelling together(sorry, Brock...love ya, but ya gotta go), Team Galactic introduced early on, less Team Rocket but more focus episodes for them, Tobias actually being given an explanation, the Galactic arc being stretched out a bit longer, Turtwig remaining a Turtwig, Pikachu falling for Buneary instead of the other way around(or at least both having feelings-obvi this wouldn't be elaborated on, cause pokemon-but its cute), and...yeah.

Honestly, I just want to see Ash and Dawn travelling together again. :bulbaLove:

Turtwig remaining a Turtwig,
I disagree on that one. Turtwig's evolution actually had a nice arc going on about how Ash couldn’t handle slower Pokémon, and even Turtwig had issues adjusting to itself: leading to one of the best scenes with a main cast Pokemon paired with a rival Pokémon. The simple solution is just giving Torterra more battles and wins. It should've been used at the Sunnyshore gym.

I disagree on that one. Turtwig's evolution actually had a nice arc going on about how Ash couldn’t handle slower Pokémon, and even Turtwig had issues adjusting to itself: leading to one of the best scenes with a main cast Pokemon paired with a rival Pokémon. The simple solution is just giving Torterra more battles and wins. It should've been used at the Sunnyshore gym.
Torterra was used at the Sunyshore Gym, though. It's just that it was made the fall guy. Just like in literally every battle it participated in after evolving, with the SOLE exception of beating Candice's Sneasel as a Grotle. But that's it. Torterra literally didn't win any other battles besides that one after it evolved...

Why must you do this to my favorite Sinnoh Starter, anime. Why :(

Torterra was used at the Sunyshore Gym, though. It's just that it was made the fall guy. Just like in literally every battle it participated in after evolving, with the SOLE exception of beating Candice's Sneasel as a Grotle. But that's it. Torterra literally didn't win any other battles besides that one after it evolved...

Why must you do this to my favorite Sinnoh Starter, anime. Why :(
Infernape really was a proto-Greninja in terms of robbing Ash's other Pokémon development time and spotlight, although not to the same degree.

Infernape really was a proto-Greninja in terms of robbing Ash's other Pokémon development time and spotlight, although not to the same degree.
Infernape actually had a character arc though, and the Pokemon with most personal stakes against a rival. I wouldn’t compare it to Greninja due to those facts alone, who lost most of its personality traits just to show off its power.

Not exactly, the other pokemon actually developed while it was around and not every single battle Ash had was all about how incredible Blaze was.

Not exactly, the other pokemon actually developed while it was around and not every single battle Ash had was all about how incredible Blaze was.
Yeah. I suppose Torterra is the one who really suffered. Gible was just introduced late, so it didn't have that much development time to begin with.

I honestly think Infernape is just as bad as Greninja, maybe worse, if only because Greninja waited until the last year while Chinchar was clearly being set for greatness all series. Even as a Chimchar he was stronger than the vastly more experienced Pikachu and then evolved twice and handled half of Paul's team. At least Greninja mostly just kept getting the last win.
Infernape was even allowed to sit out battling Tobias so his battling career would go out on a high note.

I honestly think Infernape is just as bad as Greninja, maybe worse, if only because Greninja waited until the last year while Chinchar was clearly being set for greatness all series. Even as a Chimchar he was stronger than the vastly more experienced Pikachu and then evolved twice and handled half of Paul's team. At least Greninja mostly just kept getting the last win.
Infernape was even allowed to sit out battling Tobias so his battling career would go out on a high note.

Huh...never really noticed that, but I see what you mean.

The main difference between Greninja and Infernape though is their stories. A lot more people are attracted to Infernape's story than Greninja's because Greninja's just didn't get much development. I think if Infernape didn't have such a sound story and driving force behind its character, then people would probably dislike it a lot more than Greninja. The anime gave Greninja the same treatment as Snivy when it came to stories; gave an actual interesting and unique story that could be expanded on and shown...but isn't. Why? I get the whole logic of "if the formula isn't broken, don't fix it" but they've shown us before they aren't afraid of trying new things. So why were two perfectly good potential storylines not visited?

Huh...never really noticed that, but I see what you mean.

The main difference between Greninja and Infernape though is their stories. A lot more people are attracted to Infernape's story than Greninja's because Greninja's just didn't get much development. I think if Infernape didn't have such a sound story and driving force behind its character, then people would probably dislike it a lot more than Greninja.
I'm not really convinced more people are attracted to Infernape's story in general, so much as just here. Greninja is wildly popular on twitter and it won Pokémon of the year, after all.
DP was not nearly as popular at the time as it is now; in a few years as people who started with XY (or BW) age into this forum I think the pendulum will swing in Greninja's favour.

That said Greninja is sort of memetically associated with that image of him KO'd by Megazard so maybe not. Greninja is somewhat adversely affeceted by XY running so heavily on hype about Ash as an ace with his awesome XY team (I recall some ad in a magazine saying it wash is most powerful, for instance) then not really delivering on it because he didn't do anything he didn't do in every previous series, then all his development got blatantly ignored in the following shows.

Because it’s fairly recent? Recent and hyped stuff tends to get more traction, logically speaking.
Greninja's been gone almost half a decade now. I still see people beg for him to come back.
Greninja's hype is here to stay. I'm just not sure if he'll make a comeback here or not, but in the general fandom he has staying power.

This is like, super random, but does anyone else notice how Pikachu always seems to be sitting/standing/held by/on top of someone? Like, is that his love language or something?

6eb450fbdf56902c98f83cede2167661.gif

tumblr_pgamilWfdZ1sx8ybdo4_400.png

hqdefault.jpg

EVEN THE POKEMON HOLD HIM.

68747470733a2f2f696d672e776174747061642e636f6d2f73746f72795f70617274732f3935353338373333392f69...png

BreakableNeedyAmericanalligator-size_restricted.gif

phanpy.jpg

f8e42b09da9d031cbf311a905887df5d.png

LIKE THESE AREN'T EVEN AN EIGHTH OF THEM.

Attachments

• tumblr_pgamilWfdZ1sx8ybdo4_400.png
    tumblr_pgamilWfdZ1sx8ybdo4_400.png
    191.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2021-04-02 3.47.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 3.47.39 PM.png
    235.8 KB · Views: 28
I always found that shot of him and Swellow smiling at each other adorable. Although if that's from where I think (Mossdeep Gym) it had the explanation that Swellow was flying him around in the fight.

Other times he just likes climbing on people's shoulders/laps.

Wait, it gets better.

Screenshot 2021-02-27 at 11.42.40 AM.png

I honestly can't tell if the anime gives us these moments on purpose or not, since their super small and barely anybody notices them. Actually Pikachu's relationship with his teammates in general just tends to be ignored for some reason-by both the writers and the fandom itself.

I honestly can't tell if the anime gives us these moments on purpose or not, since their super small and barely anybody notices them.
In some cases I sort of suspect he sits on people's laps or shoulders to make him more visible in certain shots without having to pull the image back. The one with May is a good example. In other cases it might be so the characters don't have to crane their necks down to look at him.
(Also when he got amnesia and joined TR he jumped onto James' shoulder).

Actually Pikachu's relationship with his teammates in general just tends to be ignored for some reason-by both the writers and the fandom itself.
I'd guess it ties into how Pikachu doesn't really get character arcs outside small "beat this opponent" ones since the OS ended.

(Although speaking of the fanbase ignoring his interactions with the rest of the team I just now realized it's odd I see almost no shipping between Pikachu and other of Ash's Pokémon--I saw him with Bulbasaur once, and I get the impression Poipole got some attention for a bit. Otherwise it's mostly outside the team.)

Back
Top Bottom