• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Welp looks like this might be the 1st Generation where all 3 Starters are going to (Fully) Evolve

Gou will accomplish the one thing Ash has never done.
It’s not like evolving the starters is that much different from evolving anything else. Ash has fully evolved 3 separate 3-stage Pokémon in one series in the past.

It’s not like evolving the starters is that much different from evolving anything else. Ash has fully evolved 3 separate 3-stage Pokémon in one series in the past.
I know. I just think it's kinda funny if you notice that Starters have a much better chance of Evolutions when they DON'T go to Ash! XD

(I think only Piplup and Chespin were exceptions to this so far)

I know. I just think it's kinda funny if you notice that Starters have a much better chance of Evolutions when they DON'T go to Ash! XD

Never really saw what the big deal was about Ash not getting fully evolved starters or even pokemon. Especially since majority of his pokemon don't NEED to evolve to prove their strength.

Never really saw what the big deal was about Ash not getting fully evolved starters or even pokemon. Especially since majority of his pokemon don't NEED to evolve to prove their strength.
This is true in most series. Tho Journeys seems to believe that Evolution is the end goal to development for whatever reason :unsure:

Just look at what happened to Lucario and Cinderace.

Or look at Sobble who's entire life became dedicated to becoming like Inteleon.

Or look at Eevee who's inability to Evolve is a Plot Point

Or even look at Pikachu who despite literally never wanting to Evolve ever, still was shown with in Evolution sequence in the 1st Episode

And now Goh might end up with 3 Fully evolved Starters despite not being a Battler

I'm not sure why Journeys is so weird about this

This is true in most series. Tho Journeys seems to believe that Evolution is the end goal to development for whatever reason :unsure:

Just look at what happened to Lucario and Cinderace.

Or look at Sobble who's entire life became dedicated to becoming like Inteleon.

Or look at Eevee who's inability to Evolve is a Plot Point

Or even look at Pikachu who despite literally never wanting to Evolve ever, still was shown with in Evolution sequence in the 1st Episode

And now Goh might end up with 3 Fully evolved Starters despite not being a Battler

I'm not sure why Journeys is so weird about this
Eevee and Pikachu aren’t great examples since they both count against your main point that evolution is the end goal. I honestly don’t see much more of an emphasis on evolution as a goal here than in past series.

Eevee and Pikachu aren’t great examples since they both count against your main point that evolution is the end goal. I honestly don’t see much more of an emphasis on evolution as a goal here than in past series.
I'm not sure about Eevee.

She really seemed to want to Evolve but can't for "Unknown " reasons.

Her inability of Evolution is meant to be an allegory for Chloe searching for a Goal that she can't find yet.

If Chloe finds her goal, will Eevee evolve? Hard to say. (There's also a possibility that Chloe may not ever end up having a specific goal)

I'm not sure about Eevee.

She really seemed to want to Evolve but can't for "Unknown " reasons.

Her inability of Evolution is meant to be an allegory for Chloe searching for a Goal that she can't find yet.

If Chloe finds her goal, will Eevee evolve? Hard to say. (There's also a possibility that Chloe may not ever end up having a specific goal)

Well we can't really say much about that, since there are two possibilities here: 1-its an allegory. 2-Eevee can Gigantamax. And Evolution as a goal actually seems to fit Eevee-many evolutions: many possibilities.

Cinderace is an example of evolution being a complete failure. Evolution wasn't even the goal here, there was hardly any buildup, there really wasn't any reason for Cinderace to have evolved, and it didn't even do much to its character-which sucks because the Goh and Raboot arc had some potential.

Lucario, I feel, is another example of this. As is Sir'fetched. While the former is rather random, the latter is supposed to be an evolution that's been built up...but after being treated as if it didn't exist for so long, suddenly having focus episodes spread out in odd places, and then evolving after THREE episodes-yeah, that's not well done at all.

To be fair, Ash took a lot more work to do it in most cases. Just compare Infernape and Cinderace, or Froakie and Sobble.

To be fair, Ash took a lot more work to do it in most cases. Just compare Infernape and Cinderace, or Froakie and Sobble.
I was actually comparing it to Sliggoo who was arguably more rushed than Raboot was. Actually, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Monferno get a lot of criticism for being rushed as well. Point being, I still don’t see the “one point for Goh being better than Ash” implications here.

So I was watching XY021 and this line popped up:
1617877083306.png
Please tell me this is a one off thing. I just started (re)watching XY a few days ago and this is one of the many episodes I initially missed, and while I'm mostly indifferent to most that's been going on so far, this part really made me cringe irl.

Please tell me this is a one off thing.

Luckily, this was cut from the dub to Serena just saying that she liked to attend to her appearance instead of generalizing it. It's a good thing, too, as that line is incredibly toxic. Though, it's annoying it was included at all in the beginning, especially considering Japan's culture: kids already have stress from Japanese exams, you wanna spread that kind of message to the females there? :cautious:

So I was watching XY021 and this line popped up:
1617877083306.png
Please tell me this is a one off thing. I just started (re)watching XY a few days ago and this is one of the many episodes I initially missed, and while I'm mostly indifferent to most that's been going on so far, this part really made me cringe irl.

i really wanna say no, but then im reminded that at the end of xyz serena claims that ash is her goal and she wants to one day find him again as a more "mature woman" which is....... yikes. i think this is why i dont particularly like serena: i can get behind her character growth and say its good (though i'll go against the masses and say that mays chara development was better and more believable), but when she does stuff like this and the aforementioned icky way they sent off her character, i feel like they leaned WAY too hard into amourshipping in a way by letting her crush almost control her character in some instances: of course not all the time, but imo xyz was grating to watch when serena had big focus because 90% of the time it was about her crush. her parting words also make you think: if her goal is ash, why did she become a pokemon performer?? why did she become a pokemon coordinator afterwards?? it really makes her will and determination for these things feel hollow because we KNOW they arent what she wants to do with her life..... some random 10 year old boy is

Back
Top Bottom