• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I was just re-watching the very first episode of AG and realized something: Ikue Ohtani is the best voice actor ever. If not, then she's definitely up there, just for her performance on Pikachu. In that entire episode, all of Pikachu's lines are just done so amazingly that you can feel Pikachu's feelings and thoughts right through the screen. Like, for instance, when Pikachu runs off the cliff: he sounds as if he's in immense pain and is nearly crying, almost desperate. It takes a lot of talent for the audience to be able to understand a character-with only three syllables to use-just by hearing the tone of voice from the context. This isn't the only episode either, there's so much more, and even when Pikachu doesn't play a major role, you can tell Ohtani still puts effort into all her lines, no matter how small it is.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about whether or not you think Ash's Dracovish is the main or major focus on the Pocket Monsters 2019 series, did you know?

Does anyone think that Pikachu might have Stockholm Syndrome? I mean, I'm just questioning everything about how Pikachu feels towards Team Rocket ever since the Snowbelle Arc of XY where he was basically calling out to Team Rocket after they decided not to kidnap him and like...you want them to kidnap you???:confused:

I mean, Journeys basically made Jessie and James think Pikachu love them so...uh...I mean, from their perspective they think Pikachu has Stockholm Syndrome...

Does anyone think that Pikachu might have Stockholm Syndrome? I mean, I'm just questioning everything about how Pikachu feels towards Team Rocket ever since the Snowbelle Arc of XY where he was basically calling out to Team Rocket after they decided not to kidnap him and like...you want them to kidnap you???:confused:
TR's relation with Ash and his companions has often been conflicted; they rooted for him in some leagues, after all.

I mean, Journeys basically made Jessie and James think Pikachu love them so...uh...I mean, from their perspective they think Pikachu has Stockholm Syndrome...
TR have always been big on self delusion, to be fair, and Meowth confirmed his actual words were not so kind.

Really, though, that bit in XY is not even the most bizarre thing Pikachu has done involving TR considering he just fell asleep on Meowth's lap once.

TR have always been big on self delusion, to be fair, and Meowth confirmed his actual words were not so kind.

Wish we knew what he actually said lol. I honestly can't decide if whatever Pikachu said was so bad it would be consistent characterization or not, because Journeys so far is making Pikachu OOC and kinda bratty at times, but then again, Pikachu's had those "I'm secretly a devil" moments throughout the anime, so...for all we know, Pikachu could've said something like "I hope you die" or something among those lines.

(On another note, this is another reason why I don't like Journeys very much. Pikachu's character feels just as botched as Ash's and people noticed it for like one episode and that's it.)

Really, though, that bit in XY is not even the most bizarre thing Pikachu has done involving TR considering he just fell asleep on Meowth's lap once.
I always imagined Pikachu as incredibly young, considering how he was like in OS. Ash honestly felt a lot like a parent when it came to Pikachu sometimes, which is why I believe the two are more suited to a Big Brother/Little Brother dynamic than a Best Friends dynamic. So, the scene in Bound For Trouble just came off to me as childish innocence. Though, yeah, that is still kinda bizarre. I wonder how many more moments like that are there in the anime...

Also, going back slightly to my point about Ash and Pikachu...is it just me or does Pikachu seem to be getting more reckless as seasons go on whereas Ash is the one pulling Pikachu back and trying to think things through? I mean, you see it in the BW arc with Meowth betraying the gang-Ash has to PHYSICALLY hold Pikachu back and calm him down, you see it in XY02, XY61, and XY69-Pikachu rushing forward and Ash stopping him from doing so, and then many small moments in SM. It's funny, because Pikachu's independence from Ash increased as the seasons went by-though he still remained incredibly attached to Ash-but at the same time, he kinda actually needs Ash now to hold him back from doing things. So...character development and regression at the same time??? If it's regression, then that is all the more reason to explore Pikachu's character and just shaft him in battles-this is actually a subtle sign of character regression coming from Pikachu's development arc in OS, and it's actually really interesting to look at when you think about the potential that stems. Though, I guess people probably didn't notice this, so it won't ever happen...that regression that spouted from development shall remain unsolved... :cautious:

I wasn't sure either which one you had forgotten, so I explained the one that webt by faster. But yeah. Ash won the trip to the Orange Islands in a lottery.
I spent all this time searching bulbapedia for answers and what really happened is they just won a ride on the blimp to Valencia Island. It wasn't them winning specifically a trip to the Orange Islands. They were already headed there on an errand for Professor Oak, though they won their actual ride through the lottery.

I spent all this time searching bulbapedia for answers and what really happened is they just won a ride on the blimp to Valencia Island. It wasn't them winning specifically a trip to the Orange Islands. They were already headed there on an errand for Professor Oak, though they won their actual ride through the lottery.
That's what I meant.

Back
Top Bottom