• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I think it's safe to say that Chloe's Eevee will probably be joining them? :unsure:

And before you say "But Eevee isn't a Starter!"

2 Words: Let's Go!

Also pretty sure May's Skitty filled the adorable unevolved gagmon role in Hoenn
I'd say that Sandy arguably qualifies more as a cutesy gagmon than Chloe's Eevee does. If only because Chloe's Eevee actually seems to be heading towards a developmental arc whereas Sandy's only purpose was so Lana would have a cute accessory to sit on her lap. Also, if we're going to count May's Skitty as a cutesy gagmon, we might as well lump Axew, Dedenne, and Togepi into that list while we're at it. Skitty did have a point to its existence beyond being cutesy comic relief, after all. Unlike those three. Though I'll give some credit to Dedenne in that he was significantly better handled as a cutesy mascot than either Togepi or Axew (or Sandy for that matter) were.

I don't remember much of XY(which is why I'm currently rewatching it)but I don't think Dedenne ever did anything of note either...?
Dedenne did play a vital role in Ash's Goomy's development, specifically in helping it get over its phobia of Fairy-types. And in the rare times he did battle Dedenne could actually pull his weight in ways that didn't require Deus Ex Machinas, whereas Togepi and especially Axew basically had to rely on pulling super special awesome unearned powers to accomplish anything.

Dedenne did play a vital role in Ash's Goomy's development, specifically in helping it get over its phobia of Fairy-types. And in the rare times he did battle Dedenne could actually pull his weight in ways that didn't require Deus Ex Machinas, whereas Togepi and especially Axew basically had to rely on pulling super special awesome unearned powers to accomplish anything.
Togepi also had this annoying tendency of wandering off on its own, literally just to lead the main characters to a plot point or a tense situation.

Togepi also had this annoying tendency of wandering off on its own, literally just to lead the main characters to a plot point or a tense situation.
I actually really liked Togepi, in all honesty. OS was an age where the cast was tight and close and had great dynamics with one another-the only one really receiving development would be Ash, Pikachu, and Charizard. I especially liked its relationship with Pikachu and the Metronome gimmick actually made sense for a series as wacky and new as OS was.

Also, if we're going to count May's Skitty as a cutesy gagmon, we might as well lump Axew, Dedenne, and Togepi into that list while we're at it.
I fully consider Axew one of those, if only for just how many episodes centered around him getting lost/wandering off/ticking off some wild pokemon were shoved down our throats.

One of which happened in the fucking league.

I have some mixed feelings on Togepi, but I liked its Metronome, actually. Like Jewel said, its absurdity fit right in with the tone of OS, while also giving it something to do on occasion besides just sitting around looking cute. Plus, one of my favorite episodes from Indigo League was actually one of the "Togepi gets lost" episodes (EP063) so I can't be too bothered by that aspect without sounding hypocritical lol.

Also, bringing this topic over from another thread since it fits better here: what do you guys think is going to be shown in the special trailer after the new episode tomorrow?

Also, bringing this topic over from another thread since it fits better here: what do you guys think is going to be shown in the special trailer after the new episode tomorrow?
My guess? More filler. Though, I'm actually interested to know more about Goh's backstory and some Chloe focus would be nice too, so maybe we get a little bit of that? Oh yeah, and Gary.

I hope I don’t get spoiled like I did with Gary’s and Iris’s return. Is there anyway I can watch it without watching it live or waiting 12 hours for subs?

I hope I don’t get spoiled like I did with Gary’s and Iris’s return. Is there anyway I can watch it without watching it live or waiting 12 hours for subs?
It'll probably be posted on the official anipoke_PR Twitter tomorrow if that's what you mean! They did that for the last special preview back in December, it got put up there as soon as it aired.

I think it's safe to say that Chloe's Eevee will probably be joining them? :unsure:
I think Grookey
1489709279061.png
Smuglup, Confidentwott, Fatpin and Sleepylet

The Suspect Pikachu thread made me think of possible moves to eventually replace Electroweb should that happen. After going through the current Electric-type moves Pikachu can learn, I feel the only dynamic one would be Thunder Punch since it is a phenomena (punching things) Ash's Pikachu has not consistently engaged in (yet, anyway); doing so would allow it to attack with its body, fists, tail, and electrical blasts. Everything else is pretty similar to Thunderbolt (Thunder, Rising Voltage, Discharge, etc.), Volt Tackle (Spark, Wild Charge), or Electro Ball (Volt Switch) in execution or appearance. There is Thunder Wave for a sense of crippling on the opponent's part, but the writers are averse to status effects, so I do not think that would be viable. Can't see Nuzzle being learned either.

The Suspect Pikachu thread made me think of possible moves to eventually replace Electroweb should that happen. After going through the current Electric-type moves Pikachu can learn, I feel the only dynamic one would be Thunder Punch since it is a phenomena (punching things) Ash's Pikachu has not consistently engaged in (yet, anyway); doing so would allow it to attack with its body, fists, tail, and electrical blasts. Everything else is pretty similar to Thunderbolt (Thunder, Rising Voltage, Discharge, etc.), Volt Tackle (Spark, Wild Charge), or Electro Ball (Volt Switch) in execution or appearance. There is Thunder Wave for a sense of crippling on the opponent's part, but the writers are averse to status effects, so I do not think that would be viable. Can't see Nuzzle being learned either.
What if they replaced Iron Tail or Quick Attack for a different non-Electric move?

What if they replaced Iron Tail or Quick Attack for a different non-Electric move?
I'm not sure if either of these two moves will ever be replaced, though. I could maybe see Quick Attack ditched in favor of Extreme Speed, but it'd feel strange for Iron Tail to go. I like the fact that Pikachu uses his tail as a bludgeon. It feels natural, if that makes sense. Then again, it's possible that Iron Tail could be replaced by another move that Pikachu could also execute by slamming his tail into opponents. Perhaps Brick Break?

I'll admit that rather than seeing either Iron Tail and Quick Attack go, I'd prefer if instead of Pikachu replacing Electroweb with another Electric-type move, he instead learned a new attack that wasn't Electric, Normal, or Steel, just so he'd have more coverage and visual variety. I'd personally love it if Pikachu learned Surf, but it's very unlikely that'll ever happen because unless they drastically changed its appearance, it'd be complete murder for the animators to constantly do.

That said, it's probably still too early for Electro Web to be replaced, since Pikachu only just learned it last saga and Journeys still has at least another year to go before it ends. At least Electroweb is probably the most versatile and visually distinct of Pikachu's extra Electric-type moves: Thunder was almost completely indistinguishable from Thunderbolt visually, Volt Tackle was a massive improvement but was basically a high-risk high-reward electrified tackle which made it kinda predictable and stale after a while, Electro Ball I feel was a huge step down from Volt Tackle as it felt mostly like it was just "Thunderbolt but ball" though at least it actually looked different from it unlike Thunder. Electro Web meanwhile is kind of a swiss-army knife: it's been used as a shield, it's been used for field control, it's been used to compromise opponents' mobility, and it's been used as a plain old projectile weapon, and all this while looking very different from Thunderbolt. I don't want to see Electro Web go so soon in light of all this.

I'm not sure if either of these two moves will ever be replaced, though. I could maybe see Quick Attack ditched in favor of Extreme Speed, but it'd feel strange for Iron Tail to go. I like the fact that Pikachu uses his tail as a bludgeon. It feels natural, if that makes sense. Then again, it's possible that Iron Tail could be replaced by another move that Pikachu could also execute by slamming his tail into opponents. Perhaps Brick Break?

I'll admit that rather than seeing either Iron Tail and Quick Attack go, I'd prefer if instead of Pikachu replacing Electroweb with another Electric-type move, he instead learned a new attack that wasn't Electric, Normal, or Steel, just so he'd have more coverage and visual variety. I'd personally love it if Pikachu learned Surf, but it's very unlikely that'll ever happen because unless they drastically changed its appearance, it'd be complete murder for the animators to constantly do.

That said, it's probably still too early for Electro Web to be replaced, since Pikachu only just learned it last saga and Journeys still has at least another year to go before it ends. At least Electroweb is probably the most versatile and visually distinct of Pikachu's extra Electric-type moves: Thunder was almost completely indistinguishable from Thunderbolt visually, Volt Tackle was a massive improvement but was basically a high-risk high-reward electrified tackle which made it kinda predictable and stale after a while, Electro Ball I feel was a huge step down from Volt Tackle as it felt mostly like it was just "Thunderbolt but ball" though at least it actually looked different from it unlike Thunder. Electro Web meanwhile is kind of a swiss-army knife: it's been used as a shield, it's been used for field control, it's been used to compromise opponents' mobility, and it's been used as a plain old projectile weapon, and all this while looking very different from Thunderbolt. I don't want to see Electro Web go so soon in light of all this.
I agree, I was trying to think of a way to keep Electroweb while still having it learn a new move since that’s what people believe is going to occur.

Grass Knot can provide a decent amount of the same coverage and may be easier to animate.

Volt Tackle was a massive improvement but was basically a high-risk high-reward electrified tackle which made it kinda predictable and stale after a while,
I swear it seemed like it failed more often than it actually worked.

Back
Top Bottom