• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Original series also liked to give Pokémon random moves out of nowhere, some of which were never even used again. A prime example is Charmander's Rage from season 1, which was never used again after just one episode.
It also had more illegal moves as I recall. For instance I think Bulbasaur used whirlwind once.

It also had more illegal moves as I recall. For instance I think Bulbasaur used whirlwind once.
I thought that was a translation error? In Japanese, Whirlwind is called "Blow Away", and Ash was simply telling Bulbasaur to blow away an attack in the original, which dubbers mistook for him literally calling the attack called "Blow Away". I could be wrong, though.

Actually, I just recalled this:

I will NEVER forgive the anime from turning Ballonlea from this:
To this:
Like, why is everything so lifeless? Where are the dark colors and neon giant mushrooms? Why does everything here looks like 6 trucks carrying bleach had an spillage all over the city? I get that it didn't showed up a lot in the ep, but man, the fact that they butchered my fav town of all times in the anime...

And you cannot even use the ''it's too complex'' excuse here, since Hammerlocke looks straight up the same as in the games.

I will forever be mad about this.
They haven't done a good job at representing the towns at all really. Pretty much every major city in Journeys feels lifeless. Even large cities like Castelia City and Wyndon feel so lifeless and empty. Seeing Ballonlea like this though is a major disappointment after seeing how beautiful it is in the games.

Do you think that there will be the other wild of trained Melmetal than Ash's in Pocket Monsters 2019 new series (known in the international dub the Journey Series) that will have Gigantamaxed for the first time? Why? This is because I would think Ash's Melmetal's Gigantamax Melmetal form is always impossible, that's all.

Last edited:
They haven't done a good job at representing the towns at all really. Pretty much every major city in Journeys feels lifeless. Even large cities like Castelia City and Wyndon feel so lifeless and empty. Seeing Ballonlea like this though is a major disappointment after seeing how beautiful it is in the games.
JN's character design is 100% fine to me personally, even tho some of the characters do look weird (mainly some background characters and COTDs) imo, but man, nearly every city feels so empty. Like Ash and Goh, and maybe other character are the only on scene nearly all the time. And some just look straight up ugly like Ballonlea.

They enter a building and there's like them and maybe other two random people. It's weird, it almost gives off the vibe like they are the only people alive in the entire world. We barely see people walking on the streets, nearly no one in PokéCenters, idk, it's weird tbh.

JN's character design is 100% fine to me personally, even tho some of the characters do look weird (mainly some background characters and COTDs) imo, but man, nearly every city feels so empty. Like Ash and Goh, and maybe other character are the only on scene nearly all the time. And some just look straight up ugly like Ballonlea.

They enter a building and there's like them and maybe other two random people. It's weird, it almost gives off the vibe like they are the only people alive in the entire world. We barely see people walking on the streets, nearly no one in PokéCenters, idk, it's weird tbh.

Its intentional, due to Covid. They need to stay home.

I just wanted to ask if there was a possibility that Pokemon Journeys will be available internationally on Netflix after the series finishes airing? I know it's on US Netflix so I just wanna know.

Seeing as they are putting hype on old characters returning I have to ask....how much do the anime writers know that people like seeing old characters again and how much are they 'Bravely Defaulting'.

(AKA that time Square Enix was surprised a game with mechanics they made famous and was popular for did well)

...I don't know I can somehow almost see them going 'wait people want to see Infernape again' or 'oh yeah Ash has a Charizard'.

...seriously the last one I don't get. They know Charizard is popular, Ash's Charizard is perhaps the one Charizard not constantly being shilled in media these days. Alain, Kiawe, Leon.....yet not Ash's own big lizard.

...seriously the last one I don't get. They know Charizard is popular, Ash's Charizard is perhaps the one Charizard not constantly being shilled in media these days. Alain, Kiawe, Leon.....yet not Ash's own big lizard.
I feel like that's a good thing, in all honesty. If Ash's Charizard became like the other Charizards that have appeared in the anime before, then he would start to feel flat and repetitive.

Seeing as they are putting hype on old characters returning I have to ask....how much do the anime writers know that people like seeing old characters again and how much are they 'Bravely Defaulting'.

(AKA that time Square Enix was surprised a game with mechanics they made famous and was popular for did well)

...I don't know I can somehow almost see them going 'wait people want to see Infernape again' or 'oh yeah Ash has a Charizard'.

I don't know how much they'd know actually, because when Infernape battles Moltres, this will be the first time since BW and Charizard that Ash will battle using a Pokemon not of his current team (though given the premise of PM 2019, I don't know how relevant "current" teams needs to be). So, this is fairly new, I would guess, for many of these guys (though I would assume/hope the fans wanted something like this for a while). That being said, I can't speak for anyone but myself here, but I don't think the issue is wanting to see these Pokemon battle again (though that's certainly nice to see) but, they haven't been acknowledged for a long time (SM's episode 42 showed Tauros, Bulbasaur, and Muk, and only Bulbasaur was more than a mere cameo). While it should be cool seeing the older Pokemon battle, just seeing an Oak's Lab episode showing off even what little we got of that episode in the preview, is fairly big (to me).

I never understood why literally out of nowhere the anime staff decided to stick with the four-move rule when it makes no sense in the anime universe yet ignore logistics of other game mechanics as well lol.
I don't mind the 4 move limit as it likely makes matches easier to structure. Rather than having Pokémon in the anime learn more moves, I think it would be more interesting if they used their natural abilities in battle more often, as that is something you don't get in the games.

A minor example would be Umbreons poison sweat. I was actually really interested when Visquez trained Raichu to bind its opponents in its tail independent of an actual move and Gengar went intangible to counter.

Though this would make Pokémon like Inteleon; Gliding + invisibility + weakness sensing eyes, or Gengar; invisibility, intangibility, shadow sneaking, pretty broken.

Having Pokémon train to beat moves without using them would be interesting though. Rather than use up a move slot, a trainer may train his Pokémon to run faster naturally and use the slot for something else.

Some episodes are better than others, eg. 33, but episodes like 48 do lack any other people.

What is Ash's favorite type? Has it ever been stated on the show?
I don't think Ash really cares about that sort of thing. The reason why he wouldn't have a favorite type is the same reason why he doesn't have a favorite pokemon: he loves all of them. (It has, however, been said that his favorite move is Thunderbolt...though that's most likely only because it's attributed with Pikachu and it isn't based on personal preference.)

I don't think Ash really cares about that sort of thing. The reason why he wouldn't have a favorite type is the same reason why he doesn't have a favorite pokemon: he loves all of them. (It has, however, been said that his favorite move is Thunderbolt...though that's most likely only because it's attributed with Pikachu and it isn't based on personal preference.)
Yeah. Thunderbolt is Pikachu's most well known and used move.

Few ideas for episodes I thought of that would be somewhat entertaining...bearing in mind these have been thought of within a few minutes of thinking.
(Thanks to whoever moved the post, I meant to put it here, but was too wounded up on the premise of the Flabebe episode)

Rolycoly v Roggenrola episode in Galar Mines, send Ash & Goh there to investigate the natural resources and how they’re extracted, which they find out the two creatures are key components of, in which they compete.
Could also do something similar with Indeedee v Chansey v Audino - what the different ways of helping recovery, and how do these Pokemon provide that aid, which one’s better for Nurse Joy in a competition?

Investigate paranormal activity at Mt.Pyre, and the appeal behind the place, with Goh’s Misdrevus and Gengar tagging along, showing a backstory with a Banette and a powerful trainer that resides there that only uses powerful Ghost-type Pokemon (abandoning Banette as a Shuppet). Connect Gengar to Banette’s feelings, expanding upon Ash’s connection with Gengar (perhaps Gengar’s former trainer appears?).

Undella Bay - Link towards Relicanth and how the treasures within, allowing opportunities for Dracovish and Chinchou to tag, whilst making it about protecting the locals from pirates looking for the treasure?

Okay, the last one is goofy, but there surely must be better things to do that this? Use actual locations, places that the anime glossed over, investigate something that researchers actually do, like Project Mew! Honestly, this entire anime should have been like Project Mew from the get-go.

Last edited:
We need a wacky Cramorant filler episode
With the way Pikachu is implemented with Cramorant, I’m very, very, very surprised they haven’t already done this...
They could have done it with that Lucario and Cinderace episode, but instead of TR, Cramorant steals Pikachu, whilst TR, Lucario and Cinderace chases the Cramorant. At least then the episode would have been more interesting...

Back
Top Bottom