• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

With the way Pikachu is implemented with Cramorant, I’m very, very, very surprised they haven’t already done this...
They could have done it with that Lucario and Cinderace episode, but instead of TR, Cramorant steals Pikachu, whilst TR, Lucario and Cinderace chases the Cramorant. At least then the episode would have been more interesting...
Wait, wouldn't Pikachu just shock the cramorant and be done with it? Unless it's somehow Swellow 2.0, it is still a water type and shouldn't be able to move after a Thunderbolt.

Wait, wouldn't Pikachu just shock the cramorant and be done with it? Unless it's somehow Swellow 2.0, it is still a water type and shouldn't be able to move after a Thunderbolt.
That's actually kind of the joke: the games' Pokedex descriptions themselves make a bit of a jab at the struggling Pikachu for not just freeing itself using a jolt of electricity, though at the same time it's implied that the reason the Pikachu doesn't do that is because it's too surprised to react properly.

That's actually kind of the joke: the games' Pokedex descriptions themselves make a bit of a jab at the struggling Pikachu for not just freeing itself using a jolt of electricity, though at the same time it's implied that the reason the Pikachu doesn't do that is because it's too surprised to react properly.
Hm...so if Ash's Pikachu in particular were to be caught by a cramorant, do you think that he would actually try to escape as opposed to the games, or would he just be caught for the rest of the episode? Or...what if the cramorant accidentally took Pikachu to Team Rocket???

So, I was looking over some facts on the anime and pieced a few things together about Pikachu. First, Pikachu seemed rather clueless on Pikachu customs in the Pikachu's Goodbye episode, implying from the very beginning that he wasn't raised by other Pikachu. Second, the fact that he had made physical contact with a Thunderstone in OS, yet didn't evolve. (Though, this was most likely due to common OS errors.) Third, the fact that OS is the series where Pikachu shows off his imitations the most(his imitations become more rare and scarce as the series goes on). Fourth, the fact that if the 4th movie is to be believed as canon, Pikachu and Ash's entire meeting is quite possibly an Ontological Paradox. Fifth, Pikachu is the only pokemon in the entire series shown to be reluctant to go inside Poke balls(even those that were disobedient like Charizard didn't care one way or less about their Poke ball) and is generally seen wandering around. Sixth, though it's hard to tell at first, but Pikachu is rather extremely playful and free-spirited, even rather mischieveious in OS(he doesn't mature until later). Seventh, Pikachu is EXTREMELY powerful in OS-a lot of the power-ups he get feel superficial at times, as he once knocked Charmeleon down with a single Thunderbolt. Why am I telling you this? Well, from all of these individual deductions, I came to the completely logical conclusion that... Pikachu is a mew in disguise.

With the way Pikachu is implemented with Cramorant, I’m very, very, very surprised they haven’t already done this...
They could have done it with that Lucario and Cinderace episode, but instead of TR, Cramorant steals Pikachu, whilst TR, Lucario and Cinderace chases the Cramorant. At least then the episode would have been more interesting...
I was of the camp that, prior to the Gatcha becoming a thing, James would catch a Cramorant as his new gag Pokémon, while everyone was in Galar. The interactions between it and Pikachu would write themselves. But, alas.

So, I was looking over some facts on the anime and pieced a few things together about Pikachu. First, Pikachu seemed rather clueless on Pikachu customs in the Pikachu's Goodbye episode, implying from the very beginning that he wasn't raised by other Pikachu. Second, the fact that he had made physical contact with a Thunderstone in OS, yet didn't evolve. (Though, this was most likely due to common OS errors.) Third, the fact that OS is the series where Pikachu shows off his imitations the most(his imitations become more rare and scarce as the series goes on). Fourth, the fact that if the 4th movie is to be believed as canon, Pikachu and Ash's entire meeting is quite possibly an Ontological Paradox. Fifth, Pikachu is the only pokemon in the entire series shown to be reluctant to go inside Poke balls(even those that were disobedient like Charizard didn't care one way or less about their Poke ball) and is generally seen wandering around. Sixth, though it's hard to tell at first, but Pikachu is rather extremely playful and free-spirited, even rather mischieveious in OS(he doesn't mature until later). Seventh, Pikachu is EXTREMELY powerful in OS-a lot of the power-ups he get feel superficial at times, as he once knocked Charmeleon down with a single Thunderbolt. Why am I telling you this? Well, from all of these individual deductions, I came to the completely logical conclusion that... Pikachu is a mew in disguise.
One could make the argument that it didn’t evolve despite making contact in the OS because it has the G-Max factor (even though obviously that wouldn’t become a thing until over 20 years later).
Also, I believe Meowth stated it didn’t want to be in a Pokeball, right? Other than that Luxury Ball

One could make the argument that it didn’t evolve despite making contact in the OS because it has the G-Max factor (even though obviously that wouldn’t become a thing until over 20 years later).
Also, I believe Meowth stated it didn’t want to be in a Pokeball, right? Other than that Luxury Ball
Fair and...true. *sigh* Welp, I guess I can still make this my headcanon...that being said, what if Mew was able to emulate the Gigantamax factor? Would that make this probable? (If that's going for the argument that Mew should logically be able to copy Mega Evolutions-but G-Max is different so...)

Fair and...true. *sigh* Welp, I guess I can still make this my headcanon...that being said, what if Mew was able to emulate the Gigantamax factor? Would that make this probable? (If that's going for the argument that Mew should logically be able to copy Mega Evolutions-but G-Max is different so...)
Hmm well that would depend on if Transform is able to copy the G-Max factor. I’m not sure. Then again, we also physically saw Pikachu evolve from a Pichu so there’s that :p

G-Max factor (even though obviously that wouldn’t become a thing until over 20 years later).
Here’s one of my pretty controversial opinions: G-Max Factor doesn’t exist in the anime. Every species capable of Gigantamax does it by default, streamlining the mechanic. It was probably implemented in the games to increase the rarity of G-Max, but it doesn’t really happen in the anime imo. Every random Pokémon that has a G-Max form shows only that in the anime, and the specimen in question isn’t ever remarked to be special (which I imagine they would if it were so special, specially on Ash's Pikachu).

If G-Max factor existed in the anime I daresay we’d have had some mention of it till now. Till they mention it, I’m inclined to think this factor is non-existent.

Here’s one of my pretty controversial opinions: G-Max Factor doesn’t exist in the anime. Every species capable of Gigantamax does it by default, streamlining the mechanic. It was probably implemented in the games to increase the rarity of G-Max, but it doesn’t really happen in the anime imo. Every random Pokémon that has a G-Max form shows only that in the anime, and the specimen in question isn’t ever remarked to be special (which I imagine they would if it were so special, specially on Ash's Pikachu).

If G-Max factor existed in the anime I daresay we’d have had some mention of it till now. Till they mention it, I’m inclined to think this factor is non-existent.
Honestly, I feel like majority of people would agree with you. Especially since there is no confirmation, Pikachu and Meowth(two pokemon shown to dislike the prospect of evolving) can both conveniently G-max, and both cases are extremely weird in the fact that neither pokemon needs a Poke ball to G-max, which...??? This feels like Pikashunium-Z but worse, in my opinion.

Though, I'm not sure as to whether every species being able to G-max would be a good thing...your thoughts?

Honestly, I feel like majority of people would agree with you. Especially since there is no confirmation,
Well the amount of theories I saw about Koharu's Eevee made me feel like I’m in some weird minority.

Pikachu and Meowth(two pokemon shown to dislike the prospect of evolving) can both conveniently G-max, and both cases are extremely weird in the fact that neither pokemon needs a Poke ball to G-max, which...??? This feels like Pikashunium-Z but worse, in my opinion.
I’ll let Meowth slide because it was highly situational due to Eternatus and cannot be repeated regularly, Ash is a huge offender, but I’m not too concerned since the Pokeball thing isn’t a huge part of the mechanic imo.
Though, I'm not sure as to whether every species being able to G-max would be a good thing...your thoughts?
I assume you mean every Pokémon from a single species? I think that’s actually a good thing since that means that Pokémon that can G-Max are not treated as too special. We already have enough stuff that makes our protagonist's Pokémon special.

Also, the "G-Max factor means Pikachu couldn’t evolve either way" diminishes Pikachu's character arc for me since it seems like its rivalry with Raichu comes out of a weird complex due to not being able to evolve, rather than it having a conscious choice in not evolving. If we just remove my G-Max Factor theory for a moment.

Something else. I've read people complaining in YT comments about Dracovish not being written consistent in the series. They claim it couldn't swim in JN063, while it was build up to be a good/fast swimmer in JN050.

However, I don't agree. I even rewatched JN050 and Dracovish was shown to be a little goofy, to be a pretty fast runner (on land) and to be fond of Ash and showing this by nibbling his head. All things it also showed in JN063 (it was expanded on by Dracovish showing also running fast under water).

In JN050 it was shown to swim, but not for a long time and also not fast. It was relaxed. It was also shown to use its flippers/arms and legs to swim. Just like in JN063.

I also don't agree JN063 has shown Dracovish can't swim. It was swimming in this episode. However, it's not a fast swimmer. And that's okay. It's not because it is a slow swimmer it can't enjoy swimming and the water.

What are your opinions? Am I too forgiving for the series and because of this mistaking or is Dracovish written consistent so far in its 2 appearing episodes?

Something else. I've read people complaining in YT comments about Dracovish not being written consistent in the series. They claim it couldn't swim in JN063, while it was build up to be a good/fast swimmer in JN050.

However, I don't agree. I even rewatched JN050 and Dracovish was shown to be a little goofy, to be a pretty fast runner (on land) and to be fond of Ash and showing this by nibbling his head. All things it also showed in JN063 (it was expanded on by Dracovish showing also running fast under water).

In JN050 it was shown to swim, but not for a long time and also not fast. It was relaxed. It was also shown to use its flippers/arms and legs to swim. Just like in JN063.

I also don't agree JN063 has shown Dracovish can't swim. It was swimming in this episode. However, it's not a fast swimmer. And that's okay. It's not because it is a slow swimmer it can't enjoy swimming and the water.

What are your opinions? Am I too forgiving for the series and because of this mistaking or is Dracovish written consistent so far in its 2 appearing episodes?
No, you're right.

There's also the fact that rivers tend to have a unidirectional draft which would aid Dracovish in swimming whereas seas can be calm depending on the tide which would affect the ability to swim in any one direction along the surface.

I can't for the life of me find the episodes of the XY series these images are from. Does anyone else know?

Attachments

• 20210502_182951.jpg
    20210502_182951.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20210502_183022.jpg
    20210502_183022.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom