• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Anyways, I think the problem here is that you’re using a different definition of “character”. I’m going by the definition of it being a person (*animal?) in media, while you’re using the definition of a set of qualities. Pikachu has a clear-cut character, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible for it to act differently. That’s just the nature of fiction. Anything can happen. That doesn’t mean that everything that happens would be entertaining. But no matter what a writer decides to do with Pikachu, it’s still the character: “Pikachu”. Nothing it does will change that.
The thing is, though, what makes a character a character is their character. So if Pikachu HAS a character, then if it acts differently or in a way that contradicts anything previously established as a clear trait, then it is, out of character. I'm using the definition of a set of qualities because that's what makes characters in media INTERESTING. When they have a consistent set of qualities that make the character feel realistic, that is why I'm defining a character as such.

I guess we can then chalk it up to bad writing, in that case, because there is no point in making a character have certain traits when said character can easily change at a moment's notice. Or I guess there's just multiple Pikachu throughout the anime: Tomioka Pikachu, Reiko Pikachu, Akao Pikachu, Matsui Pikachu, Yonemura Pikachu, etc.

The thing is, though, what makes a character a character is their character. So if Pikachu HAS a character, then if it acts differently or in a way that contradicts anything previously established as a clear trait, then it is, out of character. I'm using the definition of a set of qualities because that's what makes characters in media INTERESTING. When they have a consistent set of qualities that make the character feel realistic, that is why I'm defining a character as such.

I guess we can then chalk it up to bad writing, in that case, because there is no point in making a character have certain traits when said character can easily change at a moment's notice. Or I guess there's just multiple Pikachu throughout the anime: Tomioka Pikachu, Reiko Pikachu, Akao Pikachu, Matsui Pikachu, Yonemura Pikachu, etc.
Only by the definition you’re using. If you’re going by the definition of “character” being a person in media, then you can’t be Out of Character because nothing you do will change that descriptor of you.

I don’t think it’s bad writing because a) this applies to any character and b) the ways that Pikachu has (in your opinion) deviated from its usual personality aren’t huge stretches other than maybe JN030 (at least, imo).

Only by the definition you’re using. If you’re going by the definition of “character” being a person in media, then you can’t be Out of Character because nothing you do will change that descriptor of you.
So do you believe that out of character isn't a thing? If that's that's case, then being in character wouldn't be a thing either. It's a two-way street-in order for a character to be properly established, they must have a character in the first place. Also, "a person in media" is basically just "a person" with the only difference being that it is up to the writers to make said person feel like an actual person. There is a reason why realistic characters are often well-written, which is why I am saying that making characters out of character without reason is bad writing.

So do you believe that out of character isn't a thing? If that's that's case, then being in character wouldn't be a thing either. It's a two-way street-in order for a character to be properly established, they must have a character in the first place. Also, "a person in media" is basically just "a person" with the only difference being that it is up to the writers to make said person feel like an actual person. There is a reason why realistic characters are often well-written, which is why I am saying that making characters out of character without reason is bad writing.
I believe a character cannot be out of character because no matter what they do, they are still the character. (Unless they break the fourth wall or are in a non-canon scenario). This doesn’t somehow imply that can’t be in-character either, and the major difference between the definition of character that I’m using and actual person (which, I’ve already stated) is that one’s personality is determined by others while another’s is determined by themselves.

Also I was never arguing that making characters suddenly do a 180 and act completely different isn’t bad writing (though, it can be done right). If you look, I actually said the opposite. What I did say, was that I don’t believe this applies to Pikachu.

Anyway, this conversation is going in circles at the point and I don’t think my point is really getting across, so let’s just agree to disagree. Besides, the main point behind what I’m saying is about Pikachu specifically; not about how you define the phrase ‘Out of Character’.

Anyway, this conversation is going in circles at the point and I don’t think my point is really getting across, so let’s just agree to disagree.
Neither is mine. Agreed to disagree, then.

Thanks for the debate, though. I hope we can have another discussion some other time. :bulbaLove:

So...I realize it's a different artstyle, but why can't studio OLM animate like this for Pokemon? Like, this anime is literally being introduced as "made by the studio behind Pokemon" yet its animation is somehow more fluid than the thing they're known for?

So...I realize it's a different artstyle, but why can't studio OLM animate like this for Pokemon? Like, this anime is literally being introduced as "made by the studio behind Pokemon" yet its animation is somehow more fluid than the thing they're known for?
Oftentimes it comes down to time and money. Pokémon is just about a weekly series, so if this new series is a more limited run show it could have a much higher budget per episode and possibly more time to work on each one.

Oftentimes it comes down to time and money. Pokémon is just about a weekly series, so if this new series is a more limited run show it could have a much higher budget per episode and possibly more time to work on each one.
The specials are good examples of that. Look at how gorgeous Origins, the Mega Evolution specials, Twilight Wings and (sometimes) Generations look, those all probably had a chunk of the budget split off to afford that couldn’t be done on the main series regularly.

The other thing is that whilst it does look very fluid and pretty, there is less than 1 minute's animated footage there and... there's hardly any movement, so I can imagine they have then the resources to put more frames into mundane scenes as opposed to having to ration out to make action sequences look good in PokeAni.

The other thing is that whilst it does look very fluid and pretty, there is less than 1 minute's animated footage there and... there's hardly any movement, so I can imagine they have then the resources to put more frames into mundane scenes as opposed to having to ration out to make action sequences look good in PokeAni
Fair enough. I guess I'm just a little spoiled by the movies. :LOL:

So since Axew was allowed to Evolve because he's no longer apart of the main cast

What are the chances of seeing hypotheticals such as:

Ash's Decidueye
Ash's Serperior
May's Blastoise
May's Delcatty
Dawn's Empoleon
Dawn's Lopunny
Dawn's Typholosion
Serena's Delphox
Serena's Pangoro
Clemont's Chesnaught
Clemont's Diggersby
Lillie's Alolan Ninetales
Lana's Vaporeon
Out of this list, I think Dawn's Buneary, Lillie's Vulpix, and Lana's Eevee evolving would all be good choices.
  • Dawn's Buneary had the least amount of development on her team (aside from Togekiss, but it joined the fray at the climax of Dawn's journey). Thus, an evolution would be a nice way to demonstrate personal growth with the Pokémon (and give it access to more moves, let alone something new), give Dawn a new team member, and add a sense of elegance to her team to balance the current cutesy/power dynamic. I also think it would be an interesting concept to either see Lopunny still have a crush on Pikachu, and be larger in comparison (so, Pikachu getting smothered), or have it get over its crush entirely and leave Pikachu amusingly shocked. Dawn still will have Piplup and Pachirisu as the resident adorable team members too, since Buneary would no longer be a thing. Also, Buneary evolves with friendship, which Dawn and it should have plenty of by now.
  • Sandy should have been a Vaporeon from the get-go, especially as they barely promoted it as a Let's Go Eevee aside from that horrendous haircut. We also have an Eevee, and one that can't evolve at that, with Koharu, so that representation is checked off. We all know how Vaporeon fits Lana thematically and also reflects Sandy's affinity with the ocean, so it would be a fitting evolution. I'm honestly surprised they didn't make the evolution a thing.
  • Lillie still has her Ice Stone and Snowy's evolution would be symbolic of both it and Lillie's growth during her journey independent of her friends. That's really all I have on that; I think her meeting up with Ash in Journeys accompanied by her Ninetales would be great stuff. I also think it would be neat to see it battle too, with a sophistication not unlike what Dawn's Lopunny would have.

I also think it would be an interesting concept to either see Lopunny still have a crush on Pikachu, and be larger in comparison (so, Pikachu getting smothered)
Yes, yes, yes, and...yes~ :bulbaLove: I always did love Dawn's Buneary, but it got barely any development, which sucked. I do want to see Buneary evolve into a Lopunny, since not only would it be a sign of at least some growth, but my lagomorphshipper heart would probably explode with happiness. :bulbaLove:

not really sure if this is the most exciting thing ever but i actually got some merch from the journeys anime as a freebie from a japanese seller and something about it intrigues me.....

3758CFF3-CFE7-4BC1-AE2F-8152CCD77F21.jpeg

its just a sticker sheet with some friends we know from the anime like pikachu, lucario, and mew...... but whats machamp doing there?? and garchomp?? granted im not sure when this sticker sheet was made but could this be foreshadowing the return of bea with her gmax machamp and bdsp promotion in the form of cynthia?? or am i looking too hard at a random sheet of stickers?????

regardless its kinda cool to have actual promotional material from the anime and i thought it would be cool to show and speculate

not really sure if this is the most exciting thing ever but i actually got some merch from the journeys anime as a freebie from a japanese seller and something about it intrigues me.....

View attachment 144625

its just a sticker sheet with some friends we know from the anime like pikachu, lucario, and mew...... but whats machamp doing there?? and garchomp?? granted im not sure when this sticker sheet was made but could this be foreshadowing the return of bea with her gmax machamp and bdsp promotion in the form of cynthia?? or am i looking too hard at a random sheet of stickers?????

regardless its kinda cool to have actual promotional material from the anime and i thought it would be cool to show and speculate
Garchomp and Machamp started getting promoted in Journeys merch fairly early. TR had a Machamp in one episode but I can't recall if Garchomp has appeared yet.

Garchomp and Machamp started getting promoted in Journeys merch fairly early. TR had a Machamp in one episode but I can't recall if Garchomp has appeared yet.
I think one showed up in the first Journeys episode as one of the Pokemon called out by the trainer crowd in the raid battle against Lugia, but I'm not actually sure: I might have mistaken it for something else lol

Honestly, I think that's a good point. It wasn't uncommon for people to complain about how few Pokemon Ash catches per series for a number of years. That isn't to say that there aren't valid complaints on Goh catching every Pokemon he sees since execution is important and not having most of them be actual characters does feel jarring from how most series have treated captures in the past. But as a long time fan of the anime as well, I can see a few reasons why he'd make that observation.

Back
Top Bottom