• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I really enjoyed Drasna's appearance as well as her voice actress, Fumi Hirano.

She barely had any characterization in the games aside from being vaguely motherly to a player (and even then, that's being generous). But here, she actively puts on a ditzy and unassuming façade that belies a fierce passion and competitive nature for battling - I thought it was neat that contrary to her endearing near constant expression, she's not as oblivious as she appears; her squeezing Ash's hands with a smile and her eyes closed immediately sold me on her character. I don't know if any of you have seen Bleach, but that unnerving tone and air of intimidation under her doting mannerisms reminded me of Retsu Unohana, a character I really like; throw in a bit of Kishibe Rie from Digimon Cyber Sleuth, too. And then I loved the way Fumi called her attacks, with the lonnnnnnnnng emphasis on the final syllable of the moves she commanded; it was sickeningly sweet, but she had the power behind those attacks (and would have, were it not for plot armor for Ash). Then there was the genuine annoyance she expressed several times throughout the fight (as well as Clemont's hilarious frustration with her "fakeness"), from Ash soaking Altaria's wings to her being on the verge of losing to someone whose team mostly had ineffective attacks for her own. Thoughts on the very controversial battle aside, I just really liked Drasna more than I ever assumed I would. I know it won't happen, but I would love to see her again in another episode.

I really enjoyed Drasna's appearance as well as her voice actress, Fumi Hirano.

She barely had any characterization in the games aside from being vaguely motherly to a player (and even then, that's being generous). But here, she actively puts on a ditzy and unassuming façade that belies a fierce passion and competitive nature for battling - I thought it was neat that contrary to her endearing near constant expression, she's not as oblivious as she appears; her squeezing Ash's hands with a smile and her eyes closed immediately sold me on her character. I don't know if any of you have seen Bleach, but that unnerving tone and air of intimidation under her doting mannerisms reminded me of Retsu Unohana, a character I really like; throw in a bit of Kishibe Rie from Digimon Cyber Sleuth, too. And then I loved the way Fumi called her attacks, with the lonnnnnnnnng emphasis on the final syllable of the moves she commanded; it was sickeningly sweet, but she had the power behind those attacks (and would have, were it not for plot armor for Ash). Then there was the genuine annoyance she expressed several times throughout the fight (as well as Clemont's hilarious frustration with her "fakeness"), from Ash soaking Altaria's wings to her being on the verge of losing to someone whose team mostly had ineffective attacks for her own. Thoughts on the very controversial battle aside, I just really liked Drasna more than I ever assumed I would. I know it won't happen, but I would love to see her again in another episode.

Retsu is a pretty good comparison, though I sort of went with the joke that she's related to Akeno from DxD. Mostly to make jokes.

Though on a few other points.

Personally I think that Ash's goals are pretty flexible. Like he used to be a lot more gung ho on the catching stuff but after a bit he realized that wasn't quite for him and shifted. He's probably fine.

Also I've been seeing rumors of post Greninja episodes with stuff like a Raihan battle that goes somewhat funky and a battle with Paul with Garchomp v Dragonite. That worth any actualy bytes of data or just gossip and speculation?

Another disappointing thing about JN105 was Serena not participating in an actual contest and thus not battling which makes me sad.
Contest Lives seem like contests without battling, which sucks because I need to see Serena compete in an actual contest and battle but her end goal would be with Contest Lives/showcases
Episode with Ash helping Serena train for contest battles please. I thought Serena going to Hoenn would mean she would get to participate in actual contests, not just another showcase...

Another disappointing thing about JN105 was Serena not participating in an actual contest and thus not battling which makes me sad.
Contest Lives seem like contests without battling, which sucks because I need to see Serena compete in an actual contest and battle but her end goal would be with Contest Lives/showcases
Episode with Ash helping Serena train for contest battles please. I thought Serena going to Hoenn would mean she would get to participate in actual contests, not just another showcase...
Contest Spectaculars are still Contests, just different from what we've seen in previous series.

At the end of the day they are basically showcases tho. The contest in DP were a completely different thing
Basically a lot more similar the game's version rather than the anime's version. Personally I don't like how they've been sticking more closely to the games for certain aspects since SuMo.

Interesting he doesn't appear to be part of the Masters 8

Hmm, based off this I figure one of two things will happen:
*Ash loses to Raihan here, gets into the Master 8 later by beating Paul, and Raihan is his first M8 opponent, followed by Cynthia and Leon.
*Ash wins now, Paul is a non-PWC match. His Master 8 opponents are Raihan, Cynthia, and Leon.

If he loses here I think Raihan won't be in Masters 8, he'll beat him in a rematch later. I find it hard to believe Ash won't battle Lance given how much they showed him in those ending montages in several eps

Here's some key art for Serena's Journeys appearance; her new outfit continues to grow on me the more I look at it. Note Ash's ribbon in the third depiction :bulbaLove:

Serena Journeys Key Art.png

Here's some key art for Serena's Journeys appearance; her new outfit continues to grow on me the more I look at it. Note Ash's ribbon in the third depiction :bulbaLove:

View attachment 158621
Third one is fanmade.
So I drew/edited AG Ash with the XY Artstyle.. does he look older? Does it look good? (Personally I think he looks like ICY Ash)
Screen Shot 2022-04-20 at 10.13.56 PM.png
OPE08.png

View attachment 158621
This just made realize what is about Serena's new outfit that I don't like: I think the boots should've been black instead of brown. Idk, the brown just looks so off when this is an outfit that is just a limited palette of black/grey/red/white. It just looks... disconnected from the rest in a sense.

View attachment 158621
I thought the thing on her left leg in the Contest Spectacular outfit was supposed to be Ash's ribbon, no?

But yeah, this is definitely at least partially fanmade; if you look at the copyright notice at the bottom you can see the artist's name on the right side along with their DeviantArt and social media accounts.

- I believe her third outfit is inspired by the clothes from Pokémon Sword and Shield, as she is certainly wearing Gloria's dress. In fact, she is wearing a very similar outfit to the slightly altered protagonist of my eighth generation game.

- I believe her third outfit is inspired by the clothes from Pokémon Sword and Shield, as she is certainly wearing Gloria's dress. In fact, she is wearing a very similar outfit to the slightly altered protagonist of my eighth generation game.
That 3rd outfit is fanmade lol

Back
Top Bottom