• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I've been thinking a lot and I wonder if Journeys (and SuMo to an extent) was formatted the way it was because it was meant to be the basis for the future of the series based on the changes coming to the game series. Looking at the official website for Scarlet and Violet, it says we'll be able to play the game without being dictated by a set order from the story. Journeys was a series unlike any other where it completely neglected the brand new series' main plot and did casual region hopping as the main focus, and I guess a tournament (I've not been watching, this is just what I'm guessing based on stuff I see online). They also did dual protagonists with Ash and Goh for the first time. Well, SV is going to introduce multiplayer and focused a lot on it for the second trailer.

Soooooooo......I wonder if the series moving forward will be based primarily around these new changes. Maybe the next series will have multiple (possibly 4) protagonists to coincide with multiplayer being a thing. They also haven't made the bosses (gyms/trails/whatever) as the main focus on a generation since XY. Sun and Moon treated trials like an after school project and didn't even portray them accurately for the most part. And again, the Galar Gym challenge wasn't even touched (which still shocks me to this day but its a done deal). Perhaps that is because now we're moving toward being able to play the main games however we please with no particular order set in stone, so we could make gyms or whatever boss less of a priority to other things. I could honestly see this being the case. Maybe Journeys and SuMo were just meant to get the audience used to a brand new format.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. Honestly at this point it's hard to speculate since we don't even know if we'll be getting Journeys 2, an actual series focusing on the new games, or something completely different.

I also wonder how Pokemon Adventures will handle this 'free exploration' format. This manga does tend to do things outside of the game plot, but we still usually see a lot of the 'traditional order' being followed. I am curious just how they'll handle the chapters with there being no set order to do things. And again, could we see many different Pokedex holders considering multiplayer will be a thing? Guess we'll have to wait and see.
I mean the fact that it was announced the climax is coming for journeys makes me doubt this

I mean the fact that it was announced the climax is coming for journeys makes me doubt this
It’s likely becoming clear that Journeys’ format was made as a one-off to celebrate the franchise’s 25th anniversary. I feel a SV anime will likely be taking place in the new region again, with new companions.

It’s likely becoming clear that Journeys’ format was made as a one-off to celebrate the franchise’s 25th anniversary. I feel a SV anime will likely be taking place in the new region again, with new companions.
I do genuinely hope so, and hope that it means goodbye to Goh. Though Ash is questionable. I mean, if he does defeat Leon, what's next? He'll always find a new challenge, but after becoming the World Champion, would he continue on as usual for whatever SV offers or would he go on to mentor some new trainer?

That journeys is continue to gen 9

Ah. I personally hope it won't be the case, but considering how the recent changes seem to line up to the changes with the new games, I can't help but wonder. At the very least, I can see the style of Journeys carrying over to the new series. But like I said, fingers crossed that it won't.

Not really. They just promote the Legends game without contributing to the overall narrative of Journeys. They are entertaining, but skippable.
They are basically a continuation of DP's Galactic arc, gives Cynthia the most amount of screentime she got prior to the tournament, advances Brock's character and gives him a Blissey (and it wound up being his only full return this series so far), reveals Cynthia has a Roserade, let's Dawn reunite with Brock/Cynthia for the first time since DP, Dawn uses Mamoswine, and settles Cyrus' fate for good.

It's more important than most return arcs in Journey's.

FU4rG8FVEAAYXv_

In just a few more episodes, Iris will have appeared in more episodes than Clemont and Bonnie, becoming the 7th (same as her PWC rank) most recurring protagonist in the anime

You can really see how the episode list drops when each gen only became 3 years. Also sad to think May probably would have been in as many eps as Dawn if she got to come back when ORAS did in 2014 and again in Journey's.

Back
Top Bottom