• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

With how it looks, Lucario, Dracovish, and Sirfetch'd will be doing most of the work on taking down Cynthia's team, while either dragonite, Gengar, or Pikachu (please not Pikachu) take down Gastrodon, and the last two will not get a single win during the battle.

With how it looks, Lucario, Dracovish, and Sirfetch'd will be doing most of the work on taking down Cynthia's team, while either dragonite, Gengar, or Pikachu (please not Pikachu) take down Gastrodon, and the last two will not get a single win during the battle.
The later half is gonna take down Gastrodon and Spiritomb we know, but it seems Lucario, Dracovish, and Sirfetch'd will do a lot of the heavy lifting, which I'm okay with. Sirfetch'd especially deserves a good moment.

The later half is gonna take down Gastrodon and Spiritomb we know, but it seems Lucario, Dracovish, and Sirfetch'd will do a lot of the heavy lifting, which I'm okay with. Sirfetch'd especially deserves a good moment.
Oh snap, I didn't realize spiritomb was grayed out like Gastrodon until now. But yeah, I'm fine with the Galar duo and Lucario doing alot of the heavy lifting.

We will never see Infernape fight Cynthia

Feels bad
If the writers weren't so stuck on formula, then Ash vs. Paul would have been the finals of the Sinnoh league (no Tobias), and Ash could have battled Cynthia back in 2010 like they foreshadowed.

Instead they had to stick to formula of Ash losing every league for 20 years...so here we are now.

If the writers weren't so stuck on formula, then Ash vs. Paul would have been the finals of the Sinnoh league (no Tobias), and Ash could have battled Cynthia back in 2010 like they foreshadowed.

Instead they had to stick to formula of Ash losing every league for 20 years...so here we are now.
That’s pretty irrelevant as of now as they can change up pretty much anything they want for JN.
Well, we're getting a Mega showdown between Garchomp and Lucario instead, so I'll take that. :p
I find Lucario as a species pretty overrated. And as for Ash's, my current issue is, we already know everything it can do. The main issue currently is, they decided to use the same 6 Pokémon with their same movesets for ALL rounds, and now even though Ash ranks the highest on unpredictability, he has the most predictable team and movesets to the point that a capable opponent can literally design a team around it.

They could have had the reserves return for the earlier rounds, keeping Ash's JN team pretty unpredictable from an in-Universe perspective for the semi finals.
The JN Pokémon feel stagnant at this point to me, as they’re just using their old tricks again and again bar some exceptions.

Just had another idea of how Pokemon Adventures could handle the 3 stories of Scarlet and Violet. At first I thought they could have 3 characters each doing the 3 stories separately (and I totally still see that as an option), but I could also see the main two characters (assuming their names will be Scarlet and Violet) doing all three stories but on different sides of the region.

So hypothetical example: Scarlet will be the female PC and Violet the male PC. Scarlet and Violet both will meet their respective legendaries attend the academy in Mesagoza and will be assigned to do their independent Treasure Hunt. Scarlet will head out the western exit of the city and travel with Koraidon tackling all story beats on the west half of Paldea, while Violet will travel with Miraidon and tackle the story beats on the eastern side. Then they can meet up in the middle where after the reader has seen everything, the climactic events could occur. I thought this might actually be a better idea for a few reasons.

1.It simplifies everything. We only have to worry about two characters, which is more reasonable than having to spread development time around three. Plus it makes more sense that we would have them both riding the legendaries since that is one major element of the game. It would also be kinda weird if there was some third character walking around or needing some other form of travel.
2. It allows us to follow two characters doing gym battles which I don't think we've really seen in Adventures yet. The closest we really got was SwSh, but even there Casey's matches were largely overshadowed by Henry's. But I assume that was largely because they didn't want to show two battles with each leader in fear of it being repetitive. That however would be avoided here since the characters would be battling different leaders in different locations. And honestly, I would love to see that.
3. It allows both characters to experience all parts of SV's stories as opposed to them being limited to only one. Again, one main appeal of this game is being able to play through 3 stories however you want, and what better way to show that off than 2 characters riding around on their legendary dragon on opposite sides of Paldea, traveling though it in their own way.

Personally, I think I'd much rather see the story handled this way. Now I could still see Adventures pulling a RS chapter, but I think this idea would be better, and I hope this is how it'll be done.

You know, I do wonder how some of the themed episode lists they do for the official site are made; they're doing one for "Ash's most iconic battles" but it's laser focused on the leagues and league adjacent battles, but I honestly think "Electric Shock Showdown" is way more iconic than, say, his loss to Tyson (in fact they included every single league loss but skipped the Battle Frontier entirely).

Okay, this is something that's been bugging me for a while. It's just one of many problems I have with Journeys overall, but I wanted to bring it up anyways. Now, as you all know, Journeys tried to be closer than ever to the games in several of its aspects, such as the the coloring of the Pokemon. But what I can't understand at all is something like this:
1660673587171.png
1660673728548.png

See what's going on with Snorlax specifically? Its color in its most recent appearance is more akin to how it appears in the games, yet it initially appeared in Journeys with the coloring it had always had in the anime before. I always liked the way the anime would portray Pokemon as not always looking exactly like how they appeared in the games; it gave the anime its own unique identity. But now certain Pokemon like Gyarados, Squirtle (Ash's Gengar,) a lot of others, and apparently now Snorlax too are just carbon copies of their in-game coloration, and it feels very lazy and soulless. But this thing with Snorlax especially makes no sense. Why is it two different shades of color in the same series? And like, I get that sometimes Pokemon are different shades in past series too, like how Pikachu alternated between light yellow and a darker shade of yellow in DP. But this just feels like blatant copy-pasting from the games to me, like they couldn't be bothered to care about uniqueness anymore. Uggh.......I just......can't anymore with Journeys. I hope the finale with Ash vs Leon is memorable at least, but the sooner this mess of a series is over, the better. :cautious:

Last edited:
Number 1 is well deserved. Episode 21 of Sun and Moon is still one of the finest for tackling such a huge scenario that happens in our lives.

As for Number 5 or rather the dub of that episode (since the actual one is still pretty good) ...

yikes.

I'm normally one of the more positive faces dub wise but the voice direction was sooo off in that episode.

It's meant to be this big sad moment and a turning point for TR but James still sounds like it's just another everyday comedic situation.

Brock’s DP goodbye deserves to be on here, that was way more emotional than the one in OS. I didn’t find Kukui and Burnet’s goodbye emotional at all.

Serena’s goodbye is one that makes you happy and sad at the same time. Happy because of the kiss, sad because she left.

Number 1 is the saddest episode in the anime imo

That was a pretty solid list of emotional farewells. I would have put number 9 at number 10 and then number 8 at number 7 instead, but otherwise, I thought the order and choices worked. I didn't think that Serena's departure was emotional, at least not in the same vein as the other choices. It was sad to see the XY group going their separate ways, but it doesn't drive me to tears like most of the other choices do. It might help that the tone of the scene was still more upbeat and positive as opposed to a sad goodbye between friends like with some of the other groups separating episodes. Even after all these years, the ending to Bye Bye Butterfree gets me every time.

Back
Top Bottom