• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

Goodra's departure is a different story. Given how rushed Goodra's evolutions/development was, it felt much less emotional than it should have been. Even at the time, a lot of people weren't sad about losing Goodra as a character or its relationship with Ash. They were sad that Ash was losing his psudeo-legendary Pokemon. Or at least that was the common reaction I remember from that episode. It didn't help that Noverin didn't do much of anything and they kept an empty slot on Ash's team for the rest of the series for Goodra, only for it to draw with its opponents when it did come back. Goodra could have been so much better if they spaced out its evolutions and waited until a bit later on in the series to release it, but I think that they were far more interested in giving Ash a powerhouse for his battle with Clemont.
For me, what made the Goodra release so sad is that the characters themselves get so sad. I felt so attached to Serena, Bonnie, and Clemont on the rewatch because I hadn’t seen them much since my first watch of XY ended back in 2016, and I missed them all so much. So just seeing Serena crying and Bonnie in tears hugging onto her brother hit me deep in my heart. It feels like they are my friends, and seeing my friends cry makes me cry. I agree that the goodbye is overly emotional, considering that Goodra barely stayed and evolved way too fast, but what really makes it for me is how real their sadness feels. I love the XY group so much, to the point that it feels like I become one with them.

For me, what made the Goodra release so sad is that the characters themselves get so sad. I felt so attached to Serena, Bonnie, and Clemont on the rewatch because I hadn’t seen them much since my first watch of XY ended back in 2016, and I missed them all so much. So just seeing Serena crying and Bonnie in tears hugging onto her brother hit me deep in my heart. It feels like they are my friends, and seeing my friends cry makes me cry. I agree that the goodbye is overly emotional, considering that Goodra barely stayed and evolved way too fast, but what really makes it for me is how real their sadness feels. I love the XY group so much, to the point that it feels like I become one with them.
Goodras release was worse than Greninja’s and any other release in the anime because it was in the middle of the series and Goodra came back and sucked.
If Ash keeps Goodra he wins Kalos.
Speaking of which Ash-Greninja should have beaten Alain’s MCX. That loss was bullshit.

Goodra leaving mid-series was strange in retrospect but since it came back and stayed through the Flare arc it doesn't really matter. Hopefully it gets a cameo watching Ash's matches at some point.

Is this the only time we've seen a human character acknowledge that they have to poop or pee just like people in the real world?

1660798597936.png

Is this the only time we've seen a human character acknowledge that they have to poop or pee just like people in the real world?

View attachment 162831
What episode was this
Imagine how it could feel to start watching pokemon from Xy and not seeing Pikachu lose to a 5 lvl snivy...
as someone who sent from indigo league to XY me
Starting from XY is the right way

I really liked her, as well as the rest of the DPPt trio. It's really a shame that we never got a BDSP arc for the Pokemon Adventures manga, who knows how long we're gonna have to wait for them to make an appearance... :confused_emoji:
Me too, and Diamond is a very great main character. But isn't Platinum a little bit too good at Pokémon battles ?
Maybe they should make a PLA special chapter (kinda like the anime special episodes)

Goodra's departure is a different story. Given how rushed Goodra's evolutions/development was, it felt much less emotional than it should have been. Even at the time, a lot of people weren't sad about losing Goodra as a character or its relationship with Ash. They were sad that Ash was losing his psudeo-legendary Pokemon. Or at least that was the common reaction I remember from that episode. It didn't help that Noverin didn't do much of anything and they kept an empty slot on Ash's team for the rest of the series for Goodra, only for it to draw with its opponents when it did come back. Goodra could have been so much better if they spaced out its evolutions and waited until a bit later on in the series to release it, but I think that they were far more interested in giving Ash a powerhouse for his battle with Clemont.
I remember being so annoyed when Goodra left and then Ash got Noibat as an egg :bulbaFacepalm: I just didn't understand the point of replacing a "new" team member (and his first fully-evolved pseudo-legendary) with another dragon type that was showcased by other characters at that point. And doing that so soon! What was the point? I wonder if the writers weren't sure what direction they wanted to go in (maybe they were leaving things open for a possible 3rd version or pair of games) but it just didn't translate well.

And I know this may be controversial to say since a lot of fans were happy Ash broke away from the water-fire-grass trio of Pokemon team building, but if he had kept Goodra and needed to fill an empty slot, that Phantump was an option to explore.

Last edited:
Seriously? Why has this series had so many breaks? I know the pandemic impacted production, but we've had all these breaks because of other programs. And its all been so close together.
I think they've been having a troubled production for the ScarVio anime, likely because of covid, so they've been taking breaks to help catch up so they can start on time.

Breaks and recaps tend to be a 'smart' way to give animators a break or time to work on something else. (YGO VRAINS, a YGO with issues going on behind the scenes, did a bunch of recap episodes too, for this very reason).

Which either might mean:
They're working on Leon vs Ash and it'll look good.
Planning is just absolutely fucked behind-the-scenes and they need this to give themselves some proper breathing room.

If Leon vs Ash doesn't look like Ufotable's Unlimited Blade Works' adaption, y'all getting royally scammed, not going to lie.

Back
Top Bottom