• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I didn't mean it was not an issue. I said it's a lesser issue around where I live.
I really do not wish to attack your country personally, but honestly what you present is a anecdotal evidence. Literally a cursory google search shows that your country at least thinks it’s an issue. Racism in Finland - Wikipedia

I do not wish to point specific countries here but since you chose to bring yours into discussion I looked into it.
Anecdotal evidence is not reliable.

I really do not wish to attack your country personally, but honestly what you present is a anecdotal evidence. Literally a cursory google search shows that your country at least thinks it’s an issue. Racism in Finland - Wikipedia

I do not wish to point specific countries here but since you chose to bring yours into discussion I looked into it.
Anecdotal evidence is not reliable.
By "lesser", I meant "not as severe as in countries like America". I do not deny its existence in my home country.

But let's end the discussion about this subject, shall we?

By "lesser", I meant "not as severe as in countries like America". I do not deny its existence in my home country.

But let's end the discussion about this subject, shall we?
One question I really hope that helps you to see things in perspective: Since when did racism become a competition? What do you achieve by declaring purely arbitrarily and anecdotally that your country has less trauma than another? (Completely unprovoked, I may add. You’re the only person who has brought up a specific country versus another specific country versus Japan”). How do you quantify how much racism is “low enough”? I know you requested to end the discussion, but your statement is pretty much the equivalent of stepping on a minefield and going “I’m out” so this is maybe a last response from my end, depending on how you continue.

Well, I’ll end the topic if you want. But you’re the one who brought in specific countries here in the first place. You’re the one presenting it as a competition. What is comparing racism (which cannot even be quantified), supposed to achieve? The tragedy remains the same for the victims however high or low the statistics in the country are.

I do not feel it is okay to generalise Japan being “backwards” about aspects like sex in its shows when each country has had often traumatic history about different things.

People literally have been murdered in the world for things you just said people “shake their heads” to.
There are differences even between Western countries. When I once told my mother about the Jynx controversy, she basically sighed and shook her head. And I assume her reaction to the Passimian episode controversy would be something similar. America's history with racism has left it more than a little on edge when it comes to things related to the topic, which has never really been as big of an issue around where I live.
With specifically this post, it’s very, VERY easy to shake your head when you’re not the one who’s being dehumanised.

The tactic of comparing minorities to animals has historically been used to dehumanise them and justify atrocities on them. My country was given famine because “they breed like rabbits” in the words of a man who is still celebrated by many. Minorities have been tortured because “they’re nothing more than monkeys”. It had been ingrained in them they do not deserve human empathy. A reminder of that can be deeply traumatising to people exposed to that. Even now, in non-USA countries, the attitudes towards immigrants wishing to create a new life for themselves are, less than stellar.

I’ll advise you not to take the subject lightly. This would be my last comment on this if you understand my point, but I feel such a statement needs to be made because the world is not as pretty as it may seem, and it is a VERY privileged position to view a country as “uptight”, “too sensitive”, or “they should just get over it” in the face of trauma.

Last edited:
Looks like it’s good as confirmed that Journeys will continue and Paldea will just be added to the rotation.
No it isn't. We don't even know the titles of these two episodes, let alone how they're going to handle Paldea, so this is a pretty big conclusion to jump to just from getting more episodes in December. Please don't spread misinformation like that. I still can't see them continuing with Journeys when Ash already got his battle with Leon and Goh's storyline should be wrapping up soon. Since I can't see them restarting the PWC or Ash defending his title forever, it makes more sense to just have a new series with a new cast instead of Ash and Goh traveling the world forever.

I am a bit surprised that we are getting more episodes in December, but at least people won't have to worry about the Pokemon I'm Glad I Met You episode being a finale for the whole anime. This also potentially gives them more time to wrap Journeys than I was expecting too.

No it isn't. We don't even know the titles of these two episodes, let alone how they're going to handle Paldea, so this is a pretty big conclusion to jump to just from getting more episodes in December. Please don't spread misinformation like that. I still can't see them continuing with Journeys when Ash already got his battle with Leon and Goh's storyline should be wrapping up soon. Since I can't see them restarting the PWC or Ash defending his title forever, it makes more sense to just have a new series with a new cast instead of Ash and Goh traveling the world forever.

I am a bit surprised that we are getting more episodes in December, but at least people won't have to worry about the Pokemon I'm Glad I Met You episode being a finale for the whole anime. This also potentially gives them more time to wrap Journeys than I was expecting too.
It's be silly if it were to just continue on to Paldea since they already mentioned they've reached the climax point.

On top of that there hasn't been any proper news about Paldea anime wise and I certainly don't expect them to branch into it. Those days are long gone.

At this rate it's looking likely that the next series will begin in 2023 and that we'll be getting a few more episodes of JN until then to properly wrap things up.

At this point, I think it'll be a new series but it will still have the world hopping aspect of Journeys. Not sure what they can come up with to replace the PWC in terms of battling competitions for Ash

A new series really isn’t needed at this point.
I hesitate to ask this, but why? What benefit would there be to keep the same world tour format with just adding new regions every few years? It hasn't really done a good job with showcasing newer Pokemon or making better use of older regions, so I don't think keeping the format long term is really beneficial to the anime. Paldea, or really any future region, getting the same treatment that Galar did where it's practically an afterthought doesn't sound appealing to me either.

There is genuinely no good reason to simply continue Journeys. All of these characters are reaching the conclusions of their arcs for the series.

• Ash just defeated Leon and he was crowned World Champion. That was his goal for this series. They're not gonna just repeat the PWC and have him face Leon again. There's no point. He's either retiring or he's moving onto a new series. More than likely he's continuing on.
  • We haven't seen the conclusion of Goh's story yet, but this is next week. Project Mew is scheduled for two episodes. Either way, after everything with Mew is wrapped up, there won't be anything for him to do. He can just continue to travel with Project Mew off screen.
  • Chloe's already reached her incredibly anti-climactic conclusion. She basically came to the conclusion that she wants to know more about evolution. Her arc is done. The writers obviously have little interest in her since they aren't even willing to make her a full time main character. There's no way they'll keep her around.
Its time to move on with a fresh new cast and fresh new story arcs. Also, Paldea seriously doesn't deserve the treatment Galar got. These characters, Pokemon, and locations deserve a chance to shine.

A new series really isn’t needed at this point.
And what authority do you have within TPCI to say that? There are many intricacies when it comes to the marketing tools of a franchise. Don’t act as if you have one iota of the knowledge of what is and isn’t needed for the series simply because you might feel it especially when you are on the outside looking in.

It's alarming to me that Gen IX's release is not on the same schedule as the anime and card game, and vice versa, or seemingly near it. I don't mind waiting for the next saga, but I hope this serves as an indicator for the respective parties involved to not churn the games out so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom