• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime & Manga General Discussion

I don't know if I could see Ash managing his own Gym in large part because he clearly loves to travel. Managing a Gym wouldn't prevent him from traveling whenever he wants to, but it would be a bit of a limitation since he'd have to stick to primarily one location. Plus, after they made Paul into a Gym Leader, it seems less likely for them to do the same thing with Ash. I still think having Ash continue to travel off-screen would make the most sense. It would fit with his character and leave the door open for him to appear down the road whether it's in the new series, another mini-series, a movie or whatever.
Maybe Ash finally takes up that offer on becoming a Frontier Brain, succeeding Brandon as the Pyramid King or being the roaming Brain in another region (and a way to use the Sinnoh/Johto Brains besides Palmer should future instalments revisit him). It'd fit his interest in travelling and be more than just becoming a gym leader plus be a nice callback to how the Alola games have you defend your title by fighting randomly decided NPCs.

Maybe Ash finally takes up that offer on becoming a Frontier Brain, succeeding Brandon as the Pyramid King or being the roaming Brain in another region (and a way to use the Sinnoh/Johto Brains besides Palmer should future instalments revisit him). It'd fit his interest in travelling and be more than just becoming a gym leader plus be a nice callback to how the Alola games have you defend your title by fighting randomly decided NPCs.
I'd be pretty surprised if they even brought up his Battle Frontier victory. I don't think it's come up since DP and I don't know if they'd want to focus on a victory prior to the Alola League. A roaming Frontier Brain would give him more wiggle room to travel, but I don't see Ash becoming the new Pyramid King.

This is neither here nor there, but one thing I've been wondering since the Rocket Prize Master was introduced is this: Are Jessie and James the only Team Rocket members who actually catch their own Pokémon? We see other members of Team Rocket using various Pokémon, but which, if any, of those actually belong to them? For example, we know Cassidy still has her Raticate, but the other Pokémon she and Butch had are a lot less clear. Did they actually catch them, or were they Team Rocket rentals?

This is neither here nor there, but one thing I've been wondering since the Rocket Prize Master was introduced is this: Are Jessie and James the only Team Rocket members who actually catch their own Pokémon?
I don't think so. There is no reason for none of other members to not catch their own pokémon if they have chance to do it.

I can understand why they localized Pokemon Sommelier to Pokemon Connoisseur. A sommelier is specifically someone who judges wine, AKA an alcoholic beverage, which is a no-no on American kids' shows most of the time. Also, a connoisseur is an expert judge of things in general, which you can apply to almost anything, including Pokemon, while a sommelier sounds awkward due to its specific definition like they are going to judge your Pokemon as fermented grape juice.

I still don't understand why people expect/hope for Ash to get married. I know that it would appeal to fans of certain ships, but the fallout of confirming any ship being canon would not be worth it. I could understand this thought more if romance a a bigger deal in the anime, but it definitely isn't. Besides that, I still don't expect concrete ending for Ash, if only because it wouldn't fit with the tone of the series and I'm positive that they'd want to leave room for him to appear to some degree in the future anyway.
This and it locks the writers into a time jump. Imagine GameFreak makes Black and White 2 remakes in the future but they can't match Iris with the games because she's supposed to be in her 20s or 30s in the anime compared to still young game Iris lol. Same goes for other game characters who could appear in the future. Just makes no sense

Has it even been confirmed the new series will be in continuity with Ash's adventure?
No, but I highly doubt that they'd go that far. You'd think that they would at least keep the door open for Ash and his friends to appear instead of wiping the slate completely clean. It would just feel unnecessary to go that far.

I wonder who will voice the new protagonist.
Maybe Rika Matsumoto with her normal voice ? Her name is Riko after all
I would hope not. Not that I dislike Rika's voice acting or anything against her personally (in fact, I love her voice acting with Satoshi). But I think it would be a huge burden of budget on Pokémon's shoulder at this stage. The funds of anime is not as big as it used to be, and I would rather the management to manage their budget for more animator-friendly way than that, and it is not difficult to guess that Rika should be quite costly given the history of the show. Not that not having Rika necessarily means that the budget will be more animator-friendly, but at least it is a step towards there.

This and it locks the writers into a time jump. Imagine GameFreak makes Black and White 2 remakes in the future but they can't match Iris with the games because she's supposed to be in her 20s or 30s in the anime compared to still young game Iris lol. Same goes for other game characters who could appear in the future. Just makes no sense
I don't think this would really be a problem for gamefreak. If they remake BW2, they will just use Iris's age from the original BW2. If they decide those remakes would better fit in another year, than they will do that. They wouldn't care how old she was supposed to be in the anime. The anime is a different canon. Iris from the anime isn't Iris from the games. Just like for example Serena from the anime isn't Ssrena from the games. Or Todd Snap isn't. Or... The same goes for other media like the mangas.

Even in the games they go back and forwards with the ages of characters, depending on the period the game itself (new games and remakes) is taking place. They wouldn't be locked in.

Last edited:
I don't think this would really be a problem for gamefreak. If they remake BW2, they will just use Iris's age from the original BW2. If they decide those remakes would better fit in another year, than they will do that. They wouldn't care how old she was supposed to be in the anime. The anime is a different canon. Iris from the anime isn't Iris from the games. Just like for example Serena from the anime isn't Ssrena from the games. Or Todd Snap isn't. Or... The same goes for other media like the mangas.

Even in the games they go back and forwards with the ages of characters, depending on the period the game itself (new games and remakes) is taking place. They wouldn't be locked in.
I'm not talking about GF but the anime. GF will use young Iris but the anime will be stuck with a 20 year timejump making marketing the game pointless when the character is completely different. That's why I expect there to be no time jump in the anime. So they can easily reuse old game characters without a problem in the future

Back
Top Bottom