• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Staff Thread: BW Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quagbert

Bulbapædist
Reaction score
Seeing how the previous Animation director thread has been locked (hopefully this new one's okay), and the old storyboarder thread was sorely neglected partly due to being separate from the animation one, I've decided we may as well start with a clean slate for Best Wishes. Per Sombra29's suggestion, this will cover both storyboard artists and animation directors, as well as screenwriters (Tomioka, Takegami, etc.).

I may edit this later with a description of each person, but for now I'll just post the staff info for BW 1-4:

[bp]BW001[/bp] - To the Isshu Region! Zekrom's Shadow!!
Screenplay - Atsuhiro Tomioka
Storyboard - Norihiko Sudō
Assistant Director - Masaru Koyama
Animation Director - Izumi Shimura

[bp]BW002[/bp] - Iris and Kibago!
Screenplay - Shinzō Fujita
Storyboard - Takaomi Kanezaki
Assistant Director 矢嶋哲生 Tetsuo Yajima
Animation Director - Tomohiro Koyama

[bp]BW003[/bp] - Mijumaru! Meguroko! Close Call!!
Screenplay - Hideki Sonoda
Storyboard - Hitoyuki Matsui
Assistant Director - 山崎友正 Tomomasa Yamazaki
Animation Director - 池田志乃 Shino Ikeda

[bp]BW004[/bp] - Battle Club! Mysterious Pokémon Appears!!
Screenplay - Junki Takegami
Storyboard - Masaru Koyama
Assistant Director - 牧野吉高 Yoshitaka Makino
Animation Director - 篠原隆 Takashi Shinohara

I noticed some new names, including new animation directors for the latter two episodes and new episode directors for all but the first one. Best Wishes is also the third consecutive series to have Izumi Shimura as animation director for its first episode; [bp=AG001]Get the Show on the Road[/bp] and [bp=DP001]Following A Maiden's Voyage![/bp] also had Shimura in charge of the animation.

It also appears that Hideki Sonoda has written his first TV episode in four years; his last one was [bp=AG192]the final episode of Advanced Generation[/bp].

Last edited by a moderator:
We can't show episodes of the anime here. That's illegal.

We can't show episodes of the anime here. That's illegal.
It's a spambot, dude.

And Takegami! <3 He writes crap episodes otherwise, but hopefully he will write a rocket episode again, those are so good imo. I hope the new animators are alright.

Y'know, I remember back in the old days, when Shimura being announced for DP 1 was considered a bad thing. She's so much better now that I can welcome her being put in charge of BW 1 with open arms.
(This is also going to be the first series without Takeda, so yay for that.)

I'm guessing the Mamepato capture (gotta be Shimura, that one) and all of Iris' hillarious expressions possibly aren't from episode 2? Koyama has only done a very small handfull of episodes, but they were all fairly mediocre from what I recall.

Also, I'm guessing Iwane will probably be used for Shooty's (boy, what a name...) debut episode. Pikachu fighting that Grass Mixer Tsutarja was definately his work.

I won't bother with Shimura since most people (who pay attention to animation quality anyway) know about her, but to refresh everyone's memory Koyama has previously done [bp=DP159]Short and To the Punch![/bp], [bp=DP169]Pokémon Ranger! Heatran Rescue Mission!![/bp], [bp=DP175]Mammoo, Pachirisu! Decide on the Ice Chandelier!![/bp], and lastly [bp=DP182]Eve of Battle! Satoshi's Pokémon All Together!![/bp]. (Note to -Ryuutakeshi-, I'm linking to Bulbapedia articles, not the episodes themselves; same with this thread's initial post)

As for these two new animation directors, Anime News Network has credited Shino Ikeda (BW003) as a key animator the TV series as well as the Manaphy and Darkrai movies. Takashi Shinohara, meanwhile, didn't turn up any results for Pokémon but ANN did list him as an assistant animation director for the recent Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba the White Lion special.

Masaaki Iwane

Masaaki Iwane told Pokemon fans that the anime was only suppose to be 18 months long. Aside from that, what makes him stand out from the other animation directors?

I guess I saw a little of his talent in "Where No Togepi Has Gone Before". It was definitely the eyes that made that maniacal creature work. *shudder*

Re: Masaaki Iwane

Masaaki Iwane told Pokemon fans that the anime was only suppose to be 18 months long.

The current series or the original series? I understand the original series since the Movie supposed to end the anime (only to have the plot completely rewritten to allow it to continue). I'm not sure about the current one though.

Re: Masaaki Iwane

Yes, the anime was only meant to last 18 months, but due to the games' popularity, and with GS, it was ideal for the anime to last longer.

I'm guessing the Mamepato capture (gotta be Shimura, that one)

Fail #1

Also, I'm guessing Iwane will probably be used for Shooty's (boy, what a name...) debut episode. Pikachu fighting that Grass Mixer Tsutarja was definately his work.

Fail #2

:pPppPpPpPppPpPppPppPppPppppPPppPp

I'll give you Fail #1, but I reckon I'm right with the second comment. Looked like a fair amount of key animation for the fight was Iwane's work from what I could see. Some of the stuff earlier in the episode did too.

October '10 Update Bump

[bp]BW005[/bp] - Sanyō Gym! VS Baoppu, Hiyappu, and Yanappu
Storyboard - Hiroyuki Yamada
Assistant director - Kazuomi Koga
Animation director - Kunihiko Natsume

[bp]BW006[/bp] - Site of Dreams! Munna and Musharna!!
Storyboard, Assistant director - Shigeru Ueda
Animation director - Atsushi Ogata

[bp]BW007[/bp] - Tsutarja - Attracted by Capture!?
Screenplay - Junki Takegami
Storyboard - Hitoyuki Matsui
Assistant director - 花井宏和 ???
Animation director - Akira Takeuchi

[bp]BW008[/bp] - Darumakka and Hihidaruma! The Secret Clock Tower!!
Screenplay - Shōji Yonemura
Storyboard, Assistant director - Tetsuo Yajima
Animation director - Tomohiro Koyama

Eight episodes (and counting) without Iwane as animation director...I guess that's what we get for him doing three of the last 5 episodes of DP. At least we know Natsume hasn't vanished off the face of the earth...

Also, Takegami has written the Smugleaf episode; maybe we'll see at least a little bit of the Team Rocket we know from pre-BW, and they'll start leaving the serious threatening competent villain stuff to Team Plasma?

I appears that episodes 1 and 5 have a little extra staff that wan't mentioned in Newtype. Specifically:

*[bp]BW001[/bp] had two storyboaders (Norihiko Sudō and Kunihiko Yuyama, two directors (Masaru Koyama and Tetsuo Yajima), and two animation directors: Shimura and 田島瑞穂 Mizuho Tajima, the latter having been a key animator in numerous episodes in the past. Also, Iwane [bp=Anime staff by episode (BW001-BW010)]was indeed a key animator[/bp] for this episode.
*[bp]BW005[/bp] had Masaaki Iwane as animation director alongside Natsume. I guess we weren't going through Iwane withdrawl after all...

Also, Takegami has written the Smugleaf episode; maybe we'll see at least a little bit of the Team Rocket we know from pre-BW, and they'll start leaving the serious threatening competent villain stuff to Team Plasma?

He already wrote the Pokabu episode. That would explain Meowth's subplot. Speaking of which, I take it this is the guy to turn to for Team Rocket. While looking up his name, I noticed that he also wrote an episode way back in the original season where we find out the whole "James comes from a rich family" deal.

I'm pretty sure Iwane animated part of BW006's rocket motto. If you've seen it, you should know what part I'm talking about... Nyasu is probably the most noticeable of being Iwane's style.

November '10 Update Bump

[bp]BW009[/bp] - Out of Control Pendra! Rescue Kibago!
Storyboard - 尼野浩正 ??masa ??no
Assistant Director - Tomomasa Yamazaki
Animation Director - 大谷房代 Fusayo Ōtani
(Romanization according to Maganon on the 'Pedia)

[bp]BW010[/bp] - Rival Battle! Strong Opponent Pururiru!
Storyboard - Hiroyuki Yamada
Assistant Director - Kazuomi Koga
Animation Directors - Kunihiko Natsume & Masaaki Iwane
(I guess they're a team now)

[bp]BW011[/bp] - Ishizumai! Take Back Your House!!
Screenplay - Yukiyoshi Ōhashi
Storyboard, Assistant Director - Kazuomi Koga
Animation Director - Akihiro Tamagawa (!)

[bp]BW012[/bp] - The Yabukuron Squad and the Secret Base!?
Screenplay - Hideki Sonoda
(looks like he's back to writing episodes on a regular basis, instead of just the movies)
Storyboard, Assistant Director - Shigeru Ueda
Animation Director - Izumi Shimura

Never has life tasted so sweet.

I saw the episode that Akihiro Tamagawa did where Monferno punched Croconaw and the camera moved in bullet time (real impressive for hand-drawn TV animation). Do you know another episode that shows the best of Tamagawa's talent? I have seen the list of episodes he has done on Bulbapedia but I don't want to look at every single one of them.

Do you know another episode that really shows Tamagawa's talent?
DP156 (the episode where we learn about Draco Meteor). I think that was his last episode in DP.

Not only Tamagawa animates amazing battle scenes but he's also a master in comedy, which shows in DP156.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom