• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Animedia Character Popularity Poll Results

marshiyanmisuta

マーシャンミスター
Reaction score
Pokémon managed to enter with four characters, which is the first time ever that happened, unless I remember it wrong.

1594288348975.jpg

Go more popular than Tanjirou? HA HA HA HA HA.

Raihan and Leon more popular than Shuichi Akai, Rey Furuya and Conan Edogawa? HA HA HA HA.

There is a reason of why Pokemon is appearing in animedia is non other than money and promotion. Why they did not appear for the last 20 years then?

Last edited:
He is just the main character of the manga that has outranked by sales My Hero Academia and One Piece.

No big deal you know...
Kimetsu no Yaiba has ended its anime season last year and it is in waiting for the upcoming movie. But Pokémon anime is still relevant, and Gou is the co-protagonist, so it makes perfect sense to me. Also, several non-protagonist characters from Kimetsu no Yaiba has scored much better than Tanjiro himself and Gou. So Tanjiro doesn't mean much there.

I seriously thought no one liked him and for him to be ranked ahead of Ash is laughable.
Well, if I may speak for myself, I like Gou quite much. And he is a fresh character for the audience, unlike Ash.

Last edited:
Why does this list look as if it was made on some heavily biased Tumblr page.

Kimetsu no Yaiba has ended its anime season last year and it is in waiting for the upcoming movie. But Pokémon anime is still relevant, and Gou is the co-protagonist, so it makes perfect sense to me. Also, several non-protagonist characters from Kimetsu no Yaiba has scored much better than Tanjiro himself and Gou. So Tanjiro doesn't mean much there.
Even so, based on both Raihan and Leon’s spots at #1 and 2 respectively, the popularity isn’t just based on the anime alone as both have had such small amounts of appearances. And while the Kimetsu no Yaiba anime ended months ago, the manga only just ended last month so Tanjiro is still a relevant character in the eyes of Japan.

It could be, except it is called "Animedia" and all the illustrations are based on characters' anime appearances rather any other media, therefore I doubt manga is somehow relevant.

And are not the games "other media" then?

Also this is a Fujoshi Magazine apparently so it makes sense that the most popular ship of Pokemon Sword and Shield are on the top.

Also Akai and Furuya...

Last edited:
Surprised that Leon and Raihan are so high but fans seem to love bishonen characters so it kind of makes sense.

Also loving that Goh made the top 20 despite him being hated on here. Just goes to show that some people having anti-Goh propaganda in their avatars here in an attempt to bypass the "no Goh bashing" rule is sort of pointless since Japan still likes him a great deal no matter what. Good for him.

Didn't recall a mere 437 voters equating to the entirety of the Japanese viewerbase. That's some strange calculation.

OP didn't even explain what kind of poll it was, and the method of voting which was done (because those numbers are far too low for a supposed online poll).
Based on what one user said, this is a primarily fujoushi magazine. If so, it’s not really surprising that Go ranked so high considering that he’s a pretty boy and how I’ve seen people talk of fujoushi vibes they get from the current series.

Leon and Raihan barely show up at all so I'm ticked off about them leading the poll. I dunno most of those other characters other than Goh & Tanjiro but I think Goh definitely should've gotten more votes since he's an actual main character unlike Leon and Raihan.

A few things about this poll:
  • Animedia is not a cheap magazine; its MSRP is US $10.00 (JPY 1,070) per issue.
  • Its votes are taken from readers who either 1) took the time to fill in the pre-printed postcard included in a previous issue and mailed it in, or 2) used the Twitter hashtag #アニメディアキャララン to cast their vote. A quick check on Twitter shows that only five (!) people used the hashtag from May until June and so it seems the overwhelming majority of the votes were by mail.
  • Pretty much all the characters who were in this month's ranking were heavily featured in either the June or July issue of Animedia, if not both:
    • Pocket Monsters got an 8-page feature in the June issue that included the interviews with Kibana's VA, Dande's VA, etc. Those are the ones I've been translating on my site these last two weeks. The issue also came with a giant poster featuring the four Pocket Monsters characters who made the list. There was also a 4-page Pocket Monsters feature in the July issue.
    • Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba got a 4-page feature in the July issue for the upcoming movie.
    • Detective Conan got an 8-page feature in the June issue for the new movie and then another 2-page feature in the July issue.
    • Card Captor Sakura got a 2-page feature in the July issue.
    • Toilet-Bound Hanako-kun got a 2-pager in both the June and July issue.
    • ...and so on.
Now I can't speak for any of the people who voted but to me, at least, it seems like this was very much a case of "well I'll just write in this character's name because I literally just saw his face in this magazine five minutes ago." That's it!

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this silly little magazine poll or anything.

Also loving that Goh made the top 20 despite him being hated on here. Just goes to show that some people having anti-Goh propaganda in their avatars here in an attempt to bypass the "no Goh bashing" rule is sort of pointless since Japan still likes him a great deal no matter what. Good for him.
I swear, recent conversations in the A&M section are giving me solid comedy fodder.

Anyway, I know I'm gonna sound like minimodding now, but you're not the first to misunderstand that, plus a certain other user took your post seriously today, so in hopes of clearing up that misconception once and for all, the PSA did not create a 'no Gou bashing rule', nor was such a thing ever established on this forum. What was forbidden is attacking and insulting other users because of their perspective of Gou regardless if they like him or not.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom