• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

News Animedia Character Popularity Poll Results

true it's just a poll, but it still show us some hints about japanese audience's preferences. You can say same things about other polls too. It's especially strange that you use "you take it so seriously" card after just posting a mini research about Animedia.
It’s probably because the research revealed that the sample size is too small to be indicative of the Japanese audience.
If Bulbagarden news for some reason holds the exact same poll the results might be really different and not align with the English speaking audience at the same time.

Exactly. The audience for this magazine (affluent anime nerds in Japan) isn't going to have the same tastes as Bulbagarden forum posters (Westerners in their 20s or 30s), which in turn is not going to be the same as the show's actual target audience (elementary school aged kids). Anyone who looks at polls of these first two niche groups as "proof" of...well, anything should probably enroll themselves in a statistics class or two.

Also, my "mini research about Animedia" was...me taking 10 minutes to write up a post about a magazine that I've been buying the last few months and can therefore speak about fairly easily.

If the situation was reversed and someone in Japan was using some kind of Bulbagarden newsletter poll to argue that the entire west hates Go it obviously won’t be accurate. This poll has quite a limited sample size so it can’t be used to draw far reaching conclusions like Japan loves Go, Leon and Raihan or anything else.

People are already using this forum's reviews as proof of how everyone hates Gou and he's a terrible character. They also use twitter posts as proof that he's unpopular in Japan too. No one claimed that Gou is the most popular character based on this poll, or claimed that everyone in Japan loves him. I said it gives us a hint about japanese audience, which shows that not everyone hates him. Sample size is too small? The winner has more than one thousand votes, Gou has more than 400 votes, which is higher than anything this forum can muster. Not to mention Dogasu's original claim was "people voted for those characters because they seen them in the magazine," which had nothing to do with sample sizes. To be honest, I find it very tone-deaf to discredit an alternative view, considering the excessive hate he gets.

No one claimed that Gou is the most popular character based on this poll, or claimed that everyone in Japan loves him.
For that part, I took Go as an example, replace it with any other character in the context and I’m fine. The point was that the poll cannot be used to gauge opinion since it isn’t aimed at the target audience. And no one is discrediting it because Go ranked higher. My text to you would be similar if Go ranked last somehow. Neither these forums not that poll (nor selected tweets) are a good meter of popularity among the target audience. No one is caring a "discredit Go for everyone" agenda here.

To be honest, I find it very tone-deaf to discredit an alternative view, considering the excessive hate he gets.
I’m prepared to accept an alternate take if it’s a credible poll which most people (specially of the target audience) can enter. It isn’t "tone deaf" to dispute that. If something shouldn’t be rejected just because it’s an alternate take, something shouldn’t be blindly accepted just because it’s an alternate take. A poll shouldn’t be accepted just because of its implications. Other factors matter too.

P.S. If you scroll literally two posts above Dogasu mentions sample sizes too.

I started buying Animedia issues in June on my honto app and as far as I've seen three characters show up on all three issues I have so far (I also purchased December 2019 one because of the Satoshi-Gou cover). Kinomoto Sakura, Edogawa Conan and Takeda Gintoki are either very, VERY popular or it's just as Dogasu have said.

By the way, since I don't know Gintama that well I wonder why the heck Gintoki's picture is always shown completely blank.... I don't get it.

Now I can't speak for any of the people who voted but to me, at least, it seems like this was very much a case of "well I'll just write in this character's name because I literally just saw his face in this magazine five minutes ago." That's it!
Sorry but that is such a plain way to evaluate things.

I started buying Animedia issues in June on my honto app and as far as I've seen three characters show up on all three issues I have so far (I also purchased December 2019 one because of the Satoshi-Gou cover). Kinomoto Sakura, Edogawa Conan and Takeda Gintoki are either very, VERY popular or it's just as Dogasu have said.

By the way, since I don't know Gintama that well I wonder why the heck Gintoki's picture is always shown completely blank.... I don't get it.
The main character of Gintama is Sakata Gintoki, so I feel one of use is confused. Granted, I don't know how common the name Gintoki is, so is there a chance it's another character?

On the blank pic thing: if it's the character from Gintama then I feel it's one of those fourth wall breaking jokes that they generally did. There was one episode in the anime based on the characters reacting towards a character popularity poll, and in J-Stars Victory Vs, he mocks Joseph Joestar because they have the same VA.

The main character of Gintama is Sakata Gintoki, so I feel one of use is confused. Granted, I don't know how common the name Gintoki is, so is there a chance it's another character?
Nope, it's the same. It's just me who read the kanji wrong and didn't bother to look it up xD

On the blank pic thing: if it's the character from Gintama then I feel it's one of those fourth wall breaking jokes that they generally did. There was one episode in the anime based on the characters reacting towards a character popularity poll, and in J-Stars Victory Vs, he mocks Joseph Joestar because they have the same VA.
Apparently the polls give no explanation as to why he's the only character to not have a picture shown. And on his multiple poll appearances, it's always a blank square. It's probably a joke, of course, but I have no idea what kind of.

Kinomoto Sakura, Edogawa Conan and Takeda Gintoki are either very, VERY popular or it's just as Dogasu have said.
Sakura and Conan are always popular in those polls.
The point was that the poll cannot be used to gauge opinion since it isn’t aimed at the target audience
Target audience is little kids, how do you expect to poll them? Since when do people in this forum care about what kids think? Do non-kids' opinions are irrelevant?
I’m prepared to accept an alternate take if it’s a credible poll which most people (specially of the target audience) can enter. It isn’t "tone deaf" to dispute that.
It is more credible than any polls in this forum.

Dande and Kibana managed to enter it again!
EhiASZoWAAAvgJu.jpeg

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom