• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Another poll I'm nosy with your thoughs: Ash's age?

Ash is?

• still 10

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • around 11-12

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • around 12-13

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • around 13-14

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • 15 or higher

Votes: 16 19.0%

• Total voters
Naruto for example. Even though I know Shippunden is two and a half year ago after original series, but, come on, 220 episodes without any significant notice for age? Don't think it's normall :naughty:

Actually, in the second Naruto Databook (which came out around the end of Part I and is full of Word Of God), Kishimoto had all the characters a year older than they were presented in the previous Databook, and the genin all gained in height and weight. Even in the anime, it's obvious that Naruto has been growing in height even within the original run (it's especially clear when he's having ramen with Iruka).

Can't believe there's still someone (no offense) stupid enough to believe Pokémon Characters are aging.

Gee, thanks for calling me stupid.

12-13.

Because if time did flow, him being any younger would be silly and having him any older would be... weird.

But the correct answer is "the writers leave it vague in order for you to choose whether or not any time has passed and if so, what everyone's ages are". That and they probably don't give enough of a damn to keep a timeline. ^^

Scott85 said:
And in other news, damn this forum has gotten boring.
This is a Pokémon forum, and we're in the middle of a generation without any signs of a new generation. Dicussing the same dozen or so things over and over ago is what we live for. That or we could come up with weirdass topics like "What's Ash's Shoe Size?", "How Many Years More Does Pikachu Have to Live?" and "When Does Brock Jack Off?"

By the way, does anyone else wonder whether or not Brock carries condoms on him? *...shot*

I know it's not cartoon

What? Yeah it is.

Naruto for example. Even though I know Shippunden is two and a half year ago after original series, but, come on, 220 episodes without any significant notice for age? Don't think it's normall

In series where the plot moves slowly and each story arc is given tons and tons of episodes, it's certainly normal. No one would cite Dragonball as a series where people didn't age, yet from Dragonball Z's episode 208 to 287, only a couple days passed (with less than a day passing between 208 and 248 being an important plot point)... not to mention it's stated that 5 minutes pass between episode 97 and 106 (though that one should be taken with some truckloads of salt), and only a week pass between episode 44 to 106, with the majority of those (58 and up, I believe) being set during one day.

This is a Pokémon forum, and we're in the middle of a generation without any signs of a new generation. Dicussing the same dozen or so things over and over ago is what we live for.

Is this why people still talk about Pidgeot, the GS ball and Misty?

I guess so. People have been talking about the same stuff for 10 years so its gotten boring to even read threads anymore. Either that or the Pokemon fandom has just lost its luster. Even I've finally gotten tired about talking about Johto.

Well the thread is about guessing not more or less. I also agree that Charas only age when it is mentioned by the creator himself or during the show. "refer to my sig" For me the most possible used way of time flowing in Animes is, if nothing else was stated more than once or showed (like Episodes were starts in day and ends in the morning)go with the theory of each Episode being one day.

Most Cartoons have not such a plot like Animes/Mangas have which is one of the reasons I prefer Anime/Manga before Mickey Mouse or something like that.

I'm sorry if this or a similar thread were made tons of time before but I really have no time to search through the Archives and yes I use search function (sometimes on Titles I know are common) but if I don't get for what reason ever the same or a similar result from what I searched for I think everything related to that were old and either closed or deleted for being old.

Oh and for those who complain about discussing things even if the seems silly isn't discussing about something like that a Forum for?

To go back topic I locate Ash/Satoshi in around 12-13 though this is based upon the comment about the second anniversary of Ash/Satoshi meeting Pikachu in the Pikachu and Pichu movie short (first anniversary a year later so he would be 11 when he meet him on his 10th birthday and second would make it 12) and that he mainly looks still like at the beginning of the show. But I don't know if this short is cannon and if when got it cannon which imply the time the special is located.

Last edited:
To go back topic I locate Ash/Satoshi in around 12-13 though this is based upon the comment about the second anniversary of Ash/Satoshi meeting Pikachu in the Pikachu and Pichu movie short (first anniversary a year later so he would be 11 when he meet him on his 10th birthday and second would make it 12) and that he mainly looks still like at the beginning of the show. But I don't know if this short is cannon and if when got it cannon which imply the time the special is located.
There's one another problem with this shor and that's the fact if that Anniversary wasn't simply dub addition. But even if it wasn't, there's still many things contradicts to this, including Pokébeach interview with Masamitsu Hidaka or TV Tokyo's AG web page claiming Ash is in the same age as May, who's age was said 10. Sorry, but it really IS stupid for me to believe Pokémon Characters are aging. There's no age progress in anime. Take this as fact and your lifes will be nuch easier ;-)

That's a lie.
Yes? Then give me proof.
I don't take Pokemon so seriously like that. But the fact that people claim Ash is STILL 10 bothers me because saying he's the same age as May or Dawn is ridiculous.
Why? Just because Ash obviously looks younger then May or Dawn? Come on, it's ridiculous to judge anime chracter's age because of appearence. Judge it by facts and facts are crystal clear when it comes to age and age progress in Pokémon anime. Only those who don't want to accept facts desperately comes with silly theories based on nothing but their wishes.

Yes? Then give me proof.

Why? Just because Ash obviously looks younger then May or Dawn? Come on, it's ridiculous to judge anime chracter's age because of appearence. Judge it by facts and facts are crystal clear when it comes to age and age progress in Pokémon anime. Only those who don't want to accept facts desperately comes with silly theories based on nothing but their wishes.

I don't know, Ash has gone through 3 regions, and I just can't picture all of these events happening to him, and only 11 months have passed in the Pokemon world.

I can accept him still being ten because Pokemon doesn't really fit logic in anywhere anyway, but I consider him thirteen or fourteen, or fifteen at the absolute oldest. Various reasons already mentioned, yaddayadda...

I don't know, Ash has gone through 3 regions, and I just can't picture all of these events happening to him, and only 11 months have passed in the Pokemon world.

Not to mention they say some tournaments are only held once a year, like the Grand Festival and some of the leagues.

Not to mention they say some tournaments are only held once a year, like the Grand Festival and some of the leagues.

Wait, I thought those references to the Grand Festival and the Leagues being an annual celebration were supposed to be dub-added?

Think of it this way.

The fact is, when you turn 10 years old you go and get your first pokemon to start your journey.

Ash started his journey a long time ago. Dawn just started hers. May started hers recently. So, he has to be older than them by a couple of years, at least.

Think of it this way.

The fact is, when you turn 10 years old you go and get your first pokemon to start your journey.

Ash started his journey a long time ago. Dawn just started hers. May started hers recently. So, he has to be older than them by a couple of years, at least.

The problem though is the official websites, and as much as I hate referencing him, even Masamitsu Hidaka, stated that Ash is still ten years old, which implies that he's the same age as May, Dawn, and Misty (Yes, Misty is actually 10, she said in the raw of episode 3 that she was [or to be more accurate, implied the fact.].).

Think of it this way, you must be at least 10 year old. No one says you can't be older. And, as far as I remember, no one said May and Dawn started exactly at their 10th birthday. They can easily turn 10 at the same day Ash did.
But honestly, looking for logic in Pokémon anime is like looking for logic in comunism. Neither of them has it, but there still will be someone who believe opposite :goof:

But honestly, looking for logic in Pokémon anime is like looking for logic in comunism. Neither of them has it, but there still will be someone who believe opposite

Um...communism? Really? What type of communism are you looking at here to make this comparison?

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom