• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Another poll I'm nosy with your thoughs: Ash's age?

Ash is?

• still 10

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • around 11-12

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • around 12-13

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • around 13-14

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • 15 or higher

Votes: 16 19.0%

• Total voters
At just a guess, I'd say he's around 13 or 14. I'm not sure that people age in the anime, though. If a few years have passed, Brock and Tracey should be getting taller and turning into robust young men. They still look exactly the same, though, short and awkward young teen appearances. (Brock is shorter than he should be, compare him to Team Rocket or adults in the show)

Ash has been on a good number of journeys now, and that must have taken at least a few years. He certainly seems to have matured a bit mentally, even though I see no physical difference.

I say a year for each region, half a year for each filler region (Orange Islands and BF) so yeah, thats about 14.

But the "three years=1 Pokemon year" is appealing. That'd make him 13

You know I've been asking myself why this forum feels so boring lately, and now I realize it.

About half the topics we have are the same thing posted over and over again. We really didn't need yet another thread on ages, like all the other redundant threads about Brock leaving, Ash's Johto Pokemon handled badly, and whatever.

Anyway, I like to picture Ash around 14ish now.

And in other news, damn this forum has gotten boring.

I go with the, "each episode is one day" theory. 365 episodes would be one year, plus maybe 200 more episode (2/3 of 365 days). As for movies, well, I leave them out for now.

In other words, Ash is probably about 12-13.

You know I've been asking myself why this forum feels so boring lately, and now I realize it.

About half the topics we have are the same thing posted over and over again. We really didn't need yet another thread on ages, like all the other redundant threads about Brock leaving, Ash's Johto Pokemon handled badly, and whatever.

True, we need more "Riolu Hatches! Gliscor and Oak Meet!" and "Kasumi Returns! Phione's Kingdom!" or "Piplup Evolves! Need to worry?" titles to spice things up.

Anyway, I think Ash is 13 or 14 or so. I just wish they'd stop mentioning things like "only 2 more months til the league!", which implies that time passes when it actually doesn't.

LOL, "redundant threads about Brock leaving, Ash's Johto Pokemon handled badly": both of those are primarily your topics.
-----

Anyway, Ash is pretty much the same age. The anime doesn't do anything to establish otherwise; and Brock's not looking like he's 20 so...

Ash is like Bart Simpson, he's gonna be 10 (Though I say 11, since that was sorta mentioned before) for the rest of the show's existence, stuck in that area of time.

Ash should have been around 14 already. In the first special Pichu brothers appeared(About the time of Johto I think), Ash celebrate for the anniversary of meeting with Pikachu. That is about 3 years time. Now it's 12 years already, so Ash should be 14.

We need your interesting thread, Scott. But sadly, almost every threads have turned to a debate.

Last edited:
Wow, Scott you just figured that out? I felt this for a while now.

If Ash was aging, I'd put him around 15.

14-15 seems to be overdoing it. Keep in mind that Brock and Tracey were around that age when they were introduced. I'd put him at 13 at most and even then I feel like I'm pushing it.

Hmm, that does seem logical from a certain standpoint. 13 would be my minimal.

Are there that many cartoons where the characters age? I can't think of too many.

Disregarding cartoons with no running plot, existing continuity or non-static status quo, I can't think of any that DON'T have their characters age.

Disregarding cartoons with no running plot, existing continuity or non-static status quo, I can't think of any that DON'T have their characters age.
Should I mention Detective Conan (Case Closed) in all topics like this? I know it's not cartoon, but Detective Conan anime airs since 1996 and manga is even one year older, but all characters are still the same age they was in the beginning. And there's even more time continuing mentions then there is in Pokémon anime. They even had birthday of one of main characters mentioned in first movie. And I can mention some other anime like this. Naruto for example. Even though I know Shippunden is two and a half year ago after original series, but, come on, 220 episodes without any significant notice for age? Don't think it's normall :naughty:

Anyway, if you look at my sig, you'll see my opinion on this topic. Can't believe there's still someone (no offense) stupid enough to believe Pokémon Characters are aging. Sorry guys, that's my opinion. If you find it harsh (I know it is), I am sorry, but there's nothing to change my opinion untill the age progress will be mentioned in series or confirmed by someone involved high in anime production. And I don't really think it will.

14-15.

Judging from how mature he has been in the D/P series. That age makes sense, at least for me. I certainly don't think he's still 10.

Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom