• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Any good and fun DP battles I should watch again?

HumanDawn

Living the rich life
Reaction score
Are there any good and fun to watch battles in the DP saga that anybody would like to suggest to me? Because currently none are coming in my head right now.

Are there any good and fun to watch battles in the DP saga that anybody would like to suggest to me? Because currently none are coming in my head right now.

What do you find to be good and fun battles? That way we can take what you like into account, because what I might find to be a good battle is different than your definition.

What do you find to be good and fun battles? That way we can take what you like into account, because what I might find to be a good battle is different than your definition.

I don't have any definition to share. If you tell me your favourites from the DP saga, I'll share my opinion on them from what I remember so I could then watch them again. There are just so many to choose from.

What about the battle in the episode The Semi Final Frontier between Ash and Tobias. Tobias has a Darkrai, I can't believe it. I also enjoyed Ash's rematch with Fantina and the Snowpoint Gym Battle!

Personally, I loved watching Ash's Gym match against Maylene, especially Lucario vs. Buizel. It was full of really cool battles, but I'm also bias since Lucario is my favorite Pokemon, so pretty much anything involving Lucario is awesome for me. Still, I thought that this was the best Gym battle in the series. The match against Fantina was also pretty awesome with Ash using his Counter Shield for the first time and Chimchar really shining in a Gym match for the first time. Ash and Paul's first full battle was great and really helped build up the tension between them even more. Of course, their League match is definitely worth a rewatch. In my opinion, it's the closest thing to perfection a battle in the anime could ever reach and it ended the rivalry on a great note.

Ash and Paul vs Dawn and Conway in the Tag Battle Tournament, hell that whole tournament was full of good battles. Paul vs Roark was actually better than Ash vs Roark to me, but I guess I'd recommend both. Byron vs Ash, Dawn vs Zoey in the Grand Festival, Ash vs Conway in the League.

I'd say Paul vs Ash in the League, and while it was ok...the impact was sort of lessened to me by Pokemon like Torterra and Magmortar, two of his strongest Pokemon, not being in the battle and replaced with a random Froslass and Aggron. Still pretty good though, that Drapion was a killer.

Most of the major fights, (as in the Gyms, Contests, tournaments, etc.), battles were pretty good. Almost all the rival battles were good too.

I'll tell you what I like to watch a lot, Ash vs Fantina.

I'd also recomment the Pikachu v Riachu battle.

Of course my favourite battle in the whole anime in Zoey v Nando at the Grand festival, sigh, if only BW's battles lived up to DP's :'(

Personally, I loved watching Ash's Gym match against Maylene, especially Lucario vs. Buizel. It was full of really cool battles, but I'm also bias since Lucario is my favorite Pokemon, so pretty much anything involving Lucario is awesome for me.

I double that!

As for the topic itself... I guess the battle between Ash and Paul in the league was cool, all though I'm still a bit bitter toward that battle as Paul didn't use neither Magmortar nor Torterra in the battle, who clearly was two of his strongest Pokémon. :/ It's still a great battle, but pretty much every battle between Ash and Paul was awesome. Other than that... Well, the battle against Maylene has already been mentioned, so I'd say that's it. OH, that's right! Ash & Paul Vs. Brock & Holly was amazing too!

Ash vs Paul at Lake Acuity was a good one. It really showed Ash and the audience that he wasn't ready to beat Paul at the time. Compare that to their later league battle and you can really see how far Ash and his Pokemon had come from that battle. I feel that it was an important battle in the series.

I would definitely endorse the whole Tag Battle Tournament arc as one to rewatch for its battles. It was packed with excellently written battles containing characters with contrasting styles, and there was a lot of incident whether it was the internal conflicts between Ash and Paul, or Chimchar's fear of its Zangoose opponent which was complemented by a flashback explaining why Paul caught Chimchar in the first place. Most of the participants had unique designs and colourful personalities too, which made each battle all the more engaging. Conway ended up being a great recurring character following his debut in this arc, and Holly was a great foil for Brock (if only she had appeared again as well). If you're looking for the very best of DP, look no further.

I agree with those who were disappointed about Ash and Paul's league battle. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the match itself and the drama that came with it, there simply wasn't enough at stake for Ash's Sinnoh team with many of the rivalries that were established during DP being absent here. Ever since the Lake Acuity battle (which I also praise highly for developing the rivalry between Ash and Paul), I had been hoping for the likes of Magmortar, Torterra and Honchkrow to be put in their place following the curbstomp that Ash experienced in that battle. Infernape vs Electivire was such a great battle with so much bad blood between the two, but I was hoping for more match-ups like this (Ash's Torterra vs Honchkrow, Pikachu vs Magmortar and Gliscor vs Paul's Torterra being a few). As it turned out, the league battle brought great closure to the rivalry in its own right, so it is difficult to complain about this too much.

One thing DP did right was the battles. It's like the writers learned from everything that came before it and focused heavily on making the battling more intense and enjoyable. Not sure what went wrong with BW.

Basically DP had the highlights of battles in the series, even the weaker ones like Crasher Wake's Gym or some of the weaker Contest episodes still had good fights in them.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom