• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Any One-off characters that could've made interesting major/supporting characters?

NeoMiniTails

A soldier of kindness
Reaction score
As I've been watching a lot of older episodes, I've been wondering how interesting the story would've been had they developed certain characters rather than making them just a COTD.

AJ, Giselle, and Joe would've been interesting for the anime to have developed them and show how their different paths to the Pokemon league.

Which characters do you wish/think could've been interesting for the show to develop in the bigger plot?

I liked all the characters you mentioned. I especially liked Sakura, and it would've been nice for them to have revisited her character a few times...

It would've been nice giving Misty a rival to up the ante on her journey. I always viewed Satoshi as somewhat her rival though... Even if he didn't view her that way.

Sakura actually got three episodes including Chronicles. Not a bad count.

Eusine should have definitely appeared more than once considering his one-sided rivalry with Ash. But that would have only worked if Ho-Oh had received closure in Johto rather than in a subpar non-canon movie.

As I've been watching a lot of older episodes, I've been wondering how interesting the story would've been had they developed certain characters rather than making them just a COTD.

AJ, Giselle, and Joe would've been interesting for the anime to have developed them and show how their different paths to the Pokemon league.

Which characters do you wish/think could've been interesting for the show to develop in the bigger plot?

Agreed to the above. Their episodes I still like re-watch when I am on a nostalgia fest for the original series. Oddly enough, Giselle and Joe's episode was also the one I remember Brock's backpack of goodies lol. AJ's episode was one I remember of how funny/cute Pikachu was when it got caught in Sandshrew's equipment hehe.

Another one I would have liked to see again is Samurai.. like wasn't he the first COTD? I liked this episode because it showed how green Ash when it came to Metapod (eventually Butterfree), but also his battle with Samurai and the promise of battling each other again someday.

Oh my god, yes! I would've loved for the Samurai to have been brought back and yes, he was the first COTD of the anime.

Lol it was also the first episode where Satoshi lyingly made a promise that never came to fruition. Just like Pigeot.

The Samurai could've been an interesting character to develop, especially with Misty still around. As a rival, it would've been exciting to see this green, barely a trainer become something more and have a fierce final battle in the Pokemon league against Ash.

I still remember that episode very well. It had some great moments.

They could still technically have Giselle show up now that Satoshi is going to a school like she is... Though his isn't one for rich kids.

@Johtohfiller Refresh me: who was that character? That's the one season where I'm not as familiar with the antagonist outside of Flare...

You and I are often on the same wavelength, but I'm so sorry for not remembering.

Brodie
He could've used his disguises, Pokemon and gadgets to pull off (ultimately thwarted) capers & heists like the PokeWorld version of Lupin the 3rd.

The Mega Evolution Trainers
They had neat designs, and big personalities to go with 'em. Even the ones we barely saw looked like they could've been very interesting. So much work shouldn't have been spent/wasted on them just being fodder for Alan's Charizard OPAF--er, X.

A lot of people from BW
For all of BW's flaws, it had a LOT of colorful, interesting COTDs/minor characters who had what it took to make some more appearances, and kind of deserved it. I'd like to name names, but it would be a long list.

The Pokemon Mystery Club
Them appearing to threaten Pokemon with extraterrestrial origins once a region or so like slightly more competent, but nerdy versions of the TRio could've been a lot fun. I certainly would've liked to see them in a Deoxys episode, which likely would've been the best Deoxys story ever!

The other Kanto Gym Leaders
Oh yes, I'm going there. The fact Shudo barely wanted to use the Kanto Badge Quest is bad enough, but ya think they could've done a little more with the Kanto GLs than make them glorified COTDs. Not very good ones either...
(the Battle Frontier adds insult to injury)

Duplica
There was SO much story potential for a impressionist with a Ditto. The fact she was rather fun and lively didn't hurt either.

Last edited:
Giselle is a character I would not have minded seeing more of. A smart, but kind of stuck up girl that beat Misty even with the type disadvantage (although her Starmie wasn't that strong to begin with). It's also funny how she was the first girl Ash of all people feel for. I thought about this in another thread, but I wonder what it would've been like if she joined up with Ash and his friends. I think she would be a nice addition to the cast.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the above so I won't repeat any. I could probably list a whole lot, but I will just limit to two of my favorites (although not exactly one-off, but only appeared in one spurt).
The first for me is Jimmy from Legend of Thunder. I really liked his personality, especially how he interacted with his Pokemon. He would have made a really interesting rival for Ash, because unlike most other rivals that appear frequently (so not counting people that just appear at the league) there is nothing about him that makes it so easy to just root for Ash (he isn't bad/mean, dumb, edgy, weird, etc). It just would have been fun for him to show up sometimes and maybe steal the spotlight (like succeed in saving the day instead of Ash), but not be a jerk about it, and it would have been fun to see them battle.
And coincidentally similar (as in character roots) I really loved Lyra and wanted to see her more. I just thought her personality was so entertaining and funny, I love the Pokemon she has, and she was actually the trainer, so of course I think many of us would like a female rival for Ash that could be taken more seriously than Bianca. Of course she was just introduced to promote HGSS, and was definitely too much of a beginner at the time to challenge Ash, but she did have some potential as a trainer so it would have been interesting to somehow have her be a rival, or maybe a protege or something.
And then I would really have liked for some revisits to occur to some of the MANY people Ash and co. promised to visit.

Got more.

Professor Westwood V: This guy was hilarious!

Marina: This girl had a love for Water Pokemon on par with Misty's and yet she never returned. I think she could've been a good rival for Misty. She's someone I could've totally seen being in the Whirl Cup tournament.

Sullivan: Fishing Legend! That's all.

Last edited:
That pink-haired teacher from early XY would've made a great rival for Satoshi. He needs a serious female rival.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom