• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Anybody know of any good animes that are not rated MA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SixShooterOutlaw

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting into Anime but I don't want to watch one that is sexual (like nudity or sex) or overly violent ( a little action is fine though) or graphic (like blood and gore).

Any recommendations?

Thanks

I have been thinking about getting into Anime but I don't want to watch one that is sexual (like nudity or sex) or overly violent ( a little action is fine though) or graphic (like blood and gore).

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Hmm this one is a hard one. I would recommend to start off with ace of diamond, if you're into sports, Clannad if you're into hood stories, Reborn if you're really dedicated to anime, and Daily lives of high school boys if you're into comedy.

Emma- A Victorian Romance

What do you like?

1. Every day calm story exp: silver spoon
2. Every day story with focus on cute character exp: poyopoyo
3. Shoujo magical princess with focus on friendship and pretty girly sparkling things *and magic, and change into costumes* exp: sailor moon
4. Shonen sport exp: ace of diamond, eyeshield 21

Sports anime are generally good genres to enjoy since they are energetic, fun, and have almost little to no nudity/sex, gore, and violence.

1. Kuroko no Basket: A basketball anime containing fleshed out characters with unique personal stories to tell. There's a little fanservice on some of the girls, but it's like, 1% out of the entire anime and ignore-able.

2. Free!: Well, there's going to be a lot of skin because it is an anime about a swim team, but there's nothing sexual about it - swimming is a sport. It might look more like fanservice, but it's ignorable. Great anime full of friendship and growing up. Easy to focus on since there's only 5 major guys.

3. Haikyuu!: Volleyball anime with hyper, enthusiastic characters. More comedy-oriented with light and bright atmospheres.

I'd suggest Kids on the Slope. It is only 12 episodes long and the plot is pretty neat, but it does involve jazz music a lot.

I should clarify that I don't have any particular preference when it comes to music, or the knowledge on the subject for that matter... But I thoroughly enjoyed this series, since I was tired of watching the typical action or gore-centric anime, and this one was somewhat light hearted.

I watched the English dub btw. I saw a few complaints around, but I liked it.

Last edited:
So far, the only ones I can find on Netflix are Pokémon (natch) and Digimon...

But outside of that, I'm PRETTY sure that "Lucky Star" is pretty tame, aside from some language.

Something tame, right?
I was about to suggest Akatsuki no Yona due to the strong female lead, but then again, there's quite a bit of action, although nothing involving blood and gore straight at the viewer.
There's ARIA, a three season anime (with three more OVAs on the way) taking place on a terraformed Mars and follows a young woman who works as a gondolier. It's honestly one of the safest anime I know. Speaking of, you might want to look at Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou for another example of an Iyashikei anime. For supernatural anime, I'd recommend Mushishi and Natsume's Book of Friends.
On the newer side of things, I'd like to second @lovandra's recommendation of Silver Spoon, as well as Barakamon, Non Non Biyori, Tamayura, Tsuritama and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun.

So far, the only ones I can find on Netflix are Pokémon (natch) and Digimon...

You need to look harder mate

Last edited:
Akatsuki no Yona is what I'd recommend, its genre includes shoujo(for teen females) but I think it fits for both shounen and shoujo

It has hints of romance with some action and the character development for Yona is really great, you'll see her grow from a pampered princess to something I can't describe because spoilers :x

Plus, I'd recommend SKET Dance as well(my avatar here is one of the main protagonists) there's drama, comedy, and fantastic character development. The backstories of the main characters will definitely bring out the feels.

If you're interested in slice of life anime, I know some good ones:
Ie Naki Ko Remi (both 1977 and 1997 versions)
Perrine Monogatari
Dog of Flanders
Tamayura
Bunny Drop
Akagami no Shirayuki-Hime (there's only ONE instance of blood being spilt, and it was in a flashback. Other than that, the show's pretty tame)
Pretty Cure (there's ten seasons out, so it's a bit much)
Fancy Lala
Card Captor Sakura
Sailor Moon

On the less actiony side, I'd recommend:

Eyeshield 21 (my favorite sports anime, it's about American football)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Angel Beats
Lucky Star
Honey and Clover
Silver Spoon
K-On!

For more actiony (these don't have blood or gore very much, but they do have some violence so if that's a no-go I'd avoid any of these):

Fairy Tail (100+ episodes)
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Madoka Magica (it's a deconstruction of the magical girl genre and it's extremely well done, however it is far more violent than your Sailor Moon or other magical girl series)

Watch Boku dake ga Inai Machi. It's probably the best seinen out of 2016 predicting the future. It's about a 29 year old guy who spots when something odd is going on around him and if he fails to fix it he travels to the past for 5 minutes to fix it. But ends up travelling up all the way to his childhood and solve a really dark kidnapping/serious murder crime.

I always recommend Serei no Moribito. There's some blood and violence to be sure, but they keep it restrained and tasteful. It's certainly not glorified.

Watch Boku dake ga Inai Machi. It's probably the best seinen out of 2016 predicting the future. It's about a 29 year old guy who spots when something odd is going on around him and if he fails to fix it he travels to the past for 5 minutes to fix it. But ends up travelling up all the way to his childhood and solve a really dark kidnapping/serious murder crime.

Seconded, it's very well plotted. The tone is pitched almost perfectly (So far, at episode 10) bar one or two verrry minor slip-ups

My absolute favourite series of all time is Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko. Very comedic moments, but I find it's also very philosophical about the nature of what we can and can't see. Plus Erio is adorable. My second favourite series that I always recommend is D-Frag, one of the best comedies I have seen. Toradora is probably the staple for the high school romance genre if that's what you're after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom