• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else feeling sad that XY has ended?

XY/XYZ were probably, in my opinion, really great. I haven't enjoyed anything good since Dawn left at the end of the Sinnoh arc. Because of this, I admit I teared up at the end. I watched the Japanese dub before, and that ending was powerful. Playing V-Volt as the ending credit, showing scenes from the arc, dang it made me sad it ended.

That being said, I thought I wouldn't enjoy SM, with the new artstyle, the slapstick comedy, and, well, XYZ blues. But 11 episodes in and, it's not bad at all. Sure, it hasn't lived up to XY, but I'm seeing some character development start. The slapstick comedy also grew onto me, and I admit the animators did hide some really hilarious details ;). SM, while not feeling like XYZ, is still a good watch in my opinion.

Ash was my childhood crush when I first watched the OS and he reignited that soft spot I had for him in XY (something that was utterly smashed in Best Wishes).
So it's OK to have a crush on an animated thing? OK :p

Meaning Ash was sort of a Gary Stu badass at times (especially in XY, not as much in XYZ), while Serena was a satellite love interest for her first 47 or so episodes pre-performances and then after performances, went back to being nothing more than a satellite love interest again.
Even with XY Ash the term edgey is the most hilariously inappropriate term for him (I swear this term has lost its meaning and people just apply to anything that vaguely invokes coolness rather then something overly gritty or dark or angsty) I don't know why people act like Ash was some edge lord kid in XY when in a episode to episode basis he's extremely mellow and calm and only gets fired up for battles (surprisingly that didn't start with XY).

As for Serena I'd argue that might be more true if after arc there was a lot of filler wasting her time and character but instead once the master class episode ended it was just constant plot right up until XY's end

Even with XY Ash the term edgey is the most hilariously inappropriate term for him (I swear this term has lost its meaning and people just apply to anything that vaguely invokes coolness rather then something overly gritty or dark or angsty) I don't know why people act like Ash was some edge lord kid in XY when in a episode to episode basis he's extremely mellow and calm and only gets fired up for battles (surprisingly that didn't start with XY).

As for Serena I'd argue that might be more true if after arc there was a lot of filler wasting her time and character but instead once the master class episode ended it was just constant plot right up until XY's end

I guess, but I still think Ash was lacking personality big time during XY, that I found him to be a bit stiff.

Serena was reduced back to the love interest after her performance Arc ended somewhat, so that's where I'm coming from.

I guess, but I still think Ash was lacking personality big time during XY, that I found him to be a bit stiff.

Serena was reduced back to the love interest after her performance Arc ended somewhat, so that's where I'm coming from.
But you got to admit, the character development of all characters (but Ash, obviously) were insane. It seemed like they delayed it a lot in first Season, then it just takes off second season, with Clemont understanding strength and weaknesses (as well as improving inventions), Bonnie actually having the new ability to take care of Pokemon (heck it can be argued she saved Kalos), and Serena from a brat to actually a more mature and nicer person. To me the love interest part was seen more in Season 1, where she had zero goal but to travel with Ash, then in XYZ, where she actually had a goal, hence the reason she leaves for Hoenn.

As for Ash... well he had a lot of character development over the past 20 years, and a lot from the horrible Unova arc, so I'm not too surprised about the lack of development during the Kalos arc.

But you got to admit, the character development of all characters (but Ash, obviously) were insane. It seemed like they delayed it a lot in first Season, then it just takes off second season, with Clemont understanding strength and weaknesses (as well as improving inventions), Bonnie actually having the new ability to take care of Pokemon (heck it can be argued she saved Kalos), and Serena from a brat to actually a more mature and nicer person. To me the love interest part was seen more in Season 1, where she had zero goal but to travel with Ash, then in XYZ, where she actually had a goal, hence the reason she leaves for Hoenn.

As for Ash... well he had a lot of character development over the past 20 years, and a lot from the horrible Unova arc, so I'm not too surprised about the lack of development during the Kalos arc.
Aside from Team Rocket, sure, I agree with you there.

Yeh but SM Team Rocket is, in my opinion, much better than XY's. That's probably the only thing SM does better than XY, not saying SM is bad or not, because it's rather good.
I think TR are still pretty bad even in SM, but I guess that's true.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom