• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else feels psychic is completely outclassed by fairy? :(

Reaction score
Even though they weren't so lucky for me, I've always loved psychic type Pokemon. But recently I noticed that there is not much niche for them in my opinion because fairy's additional super effective damage against Fighting. In my opinion, Dark and Dragon super effectiveness would be enough but right now I see not much point in using Psychic types at all, if not Gardevoir, Mr.Mime and other half fairies. In my opinion, steel and poison failed to pose much of a threat to Fairy which tends to be bulkier than typically frail Psychic type and as such, I see no reason to use Psychic at all - for Poison I have Ground with far more coverage and for Fighting I have fairy which also has more coverage. Anyone else feels this way? Feel free to agree/disagree/discuss

Well, let's take a look at the type charts for both types:
Psychic is strong against Fighting and Poison
Fairy is strong Dark, Dragon, and Fighting

Psychic resists Fighting and Psychic
Fairy resists Bug, Dark, and Fighting

Psychic and Steel resists Psychic
Fire, Poison and Steel resists Poison

Psychic is weak to Dark, Bug, and Ghost
Fairy is weak to Steel and Poison

They certainly have similarities, that's for sure.

Isn't effectiveness against Fighting the only thing they have in common? Steel is a popular type and Fairy is rather frail on the physical side, so there's that. I do think that making Fairy effective against Fighting was a mistake.

Competitively speaking, Psychic is represented via legendaries and some mythicals (Slowbro and Slowking are also popular these days). I think that Psychic needs more fast representatives like Alakazam, Starmie, Espeon, Delphox and Meowstic.

Last edited:
Even though they weren't so lucky for me, I've always loved psychic type Pokemon. But recently I noticed that there is not much niche for them in my opinion because fairy's additional super effective damage against Fighting. In my opinion, Dark and Dragon super effectiveness would be enough but right now I see not much point in using Psychic types at all, if not Gardevoir, Mr.Mime and other half fairies. In my opinion, steel and poison failed to pose much of a threat to Fairy which tends to be bulkier than typically frail Psychic type and as such, I see no reason to use Psychic at all - for Poison I have Ground with far more coverage and for Fighting I have fairy which also has more coverage. Anyone else feels this way? Feel free to agree/disagree/discuss

I think that Psychic is a subpar type when compared to fairy. There is a clear type imbalance in Pokémon, which was even worse before they added the fairies. I hope the producers pay attention to this again. Some types deserve more love.

Isn't effectiveness against Fighting the only thing they have in common? Steel is a popular type and Fairy is rather frail on the physical side, so there's that. I do think that making Fairy effectiveness against Fighting was a mistake.

When the fairy type was added the intention was to put the "big types" in check, and Fighting is a very strong offensive type.

When the fairy type was added the intention was to put the "big types" in check, and Fighting is a very strong offensive type.
They only talked about nerfing Dragon, though. Anyway, I would have made Fairy resistant to Fighting only, while making Psychic resistant to Fairy. Psychic being more viable defensively would have hurt Fighting indirectly.

Not really. Fighting types are resisted by a lot of types, but what kept them useful is that their two weaknesses were uncommon - but the Fairy type has caused their usefulness to go down considerably, especially in Doubles, which is part of the reason why Snorlax was banned in DOU. Fighting types have just not had a good time recently, with Flying types being harder to break due to Heavy-Duty Boots, Close Combat getting wide distribution so that they're outclassed at their own role, and Fairy types in general still being really common.

Unfortunately, not every type is created equally. Rock, Bug, Ice on the negative spectrum of that, with Fairy on the heavily positive spectrum of it design-wise. I do think Fairy should also be weak to both Bug and Fire (Although Fire is already a fine typing so it's not that necessary. Just spitballing Fire as a second one because a tiny fairy being burned by something like Flamethrower would certainly not go without heavy consequences.).

GameFreak does really need to do more type revisions as we go along. Steel is also a type that's just bazonkers compared to others (Look at Scizor, who's other type is one of the worst, if not the worst type in the game, but Steel heavily salvages it). The way Fire and Water also just heavily outclass Grass despite being a 'trinity' is just... yeah.

It was introduced 3 generations ago it only feels that way to you. Many non fairy Pokemon can be pretty ( such as swanna musharna and bellosom), you just have to be open minded :)

Last edited:
Uhhh, no. They do very different things so we can't reasonably say one outclasses the other.

If you really want to look at a type that may be partially outclassed by Fairy, there's Ice, which used to be the only type super effective against Dragon outside of Dragon itself. Of course Ice still gets to smack the likes of the powerful Ground and ever-useful Flying, but its use against most Dragon Pokémon has become more of a footnote than a serious selling point because Fairy also happens to be defensively strong against Dragon.
It basically combines this offensive role of Ice with an improvement of the defensive trait provided by Steel, in effect replacing Ice as the preferred Dragon slayer.

If you really want to look at a type that may be partially outclassed by Fairy, there's Ice, which used to be the only type super effective against Dragon outside of Dragon itself. Of course Ice still gets to smack the likes of the powerful Ground and ever-useful Flying, but its use against most Dragon Pokémon has become more of a footnote than a serious selling point because Fairy also happens to be defensively strong against Dragon.
It basically combines this offensive role of Ice with an improvement of the defensive trait provided by Steel, in effect replacing Ice as the preferred Dragon slayer.
Honestly, even before the existence of Fairy, Ice was already outclassed as a dragon slayer by Water-types with Ice coverage due to the simple fact that unlike most Ice-types, Water-types generally can actually afford to take a hit or two.

I must say as an older fan it's very amusing to see Psychic being thought of as a comparatively "lesser" typing. At least 50% of Game Freak's efforts to balance the type chart and battle system are a direct reaction to the situation in Gen I, in which Psychic types were the indisputable best option.

I did notice that Fairy types were way more useful than Psychic types in Gen 6. But tbh it doesn't bother me because Psychic types were basically OP in Gen 1 so this is almost like karma. :X3:

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom