• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!

Anyone else getting AG vibes from the XY series?

Reaction score
I remember back when BW was brand new and a lot of people were saying it was like a reboot of the original series, mostly due to the group dynamic. While I didn't quite get that feeling with BW, the group in XY is already giving me vibes of the AG group. From the opening it looks like we'll have a group of 4 again, and I really liked that about AG because a group of 4 just leads to some great interactions.

Serena kind of reminds me to May, with Serena not wanting to do Rhydon racing and May not wanting to challenge gyms. To me it kind of seems like Serena won't know what she'll want to do right away, similar to May before she discovered Contests. Plus they went back to using the player character as the main female of the group, and judging from the promos it looks like she'll be a beginning trainer as well.

Then you have Bonnie, the younger sibling who's not old enough to be a trainer herself but still loves pokemon, similar to Max. Though they both have opposite personalities and unlike Max, it seems like Bonnie will befriend/get a pokemon by the opening, its this role that makes the group feel well rounded for me. If you took Max out of AG then the group wouldn't work so well. It would be like a missing puzzle piece, and I think it's be the same way if Bonnie wasn't there with her brother (though it wouldn't make sense if she wasn't there since she's there in the games ^^')

Plus we don't really know if Ash will have a main rival this series (unless maybe Serena becomes his friend/rival since who says that rivals can't travel together.)
He went through a majority of AG without a rival until we got to the League where Morrison was introduced. In the games Calem/Serena is your main rival and I guess you could say that Shauna played a role similar to Bianca though not as big. Plus Ash always argues with the female he's traveling with at least once so I could see him and Serena butting heads a few times. ^^'

I know it's super early to judge but so far I think that the group for XY will have a similar feel to the AG group, with Ash as the main star, Serena as the second star (even though May wasn't an equal co-star to Ash like Dawn was I still consider her the second main star), and Clemont and Bonnie as supporting stars like Brock and Max were.

Reaction score
Not really, Citron and Eureka give me a completely different vibe from Haruka and Masato. Maybe it's because Eureka is so unexpectedly adorable instead of the annoying-little-sister type of character. Masato wasn't particularly annoying, but he wasn't cute and he only had a few episodes in which I felt like "Wow, Masato IS essential to the cast", while I feel that I wouldn't have liked the 2 episodes nearly as much without Eureka.

And I'm getting DP vibes in the sense that it looks like the series is going to be awesome XD

Only 79 new Pokemon?
Reaction score
This entire saga reeks of AG everywhere. From the starters, to the companions, to ash, to everything.

A deeper shade of blue
Reaction score
I'm actually feeling a combination of both AG and DP vibes because it looks like they're trying to imitate both series in terms of appearance and production. For both AG and XY, we have 4 people in the main cast and Satoshi (presumably for XY) having no rival. For DP and XY, Satoshi lost to the first Gym Leader in each region (Hyouta and Viola) and the first few episodes were written by Atsuhiro Tomioka.

I love Ash.
Reaction score
Yes, I saw this long ago. I'm liking that, that was a favorite of mine. I like Ash not having a rival too, writers need time to write a better rival, make him different from Paul and Trip please. Need Ash to win more this region, that's right make it for him last region, he hardly won any thing till the end of the series.

Reaction score
Yes, and I am getting a 3rd gen vibe from X and Y overall. In my opinion, if BW was the "reboot" of the series, then BW was like Gen 1 (only can catch Pokemon from that generation), B2W2 was like Gen 2 (new areas to explore, but you can go back to areas from the first game), and XY is like Gen 3 (far away from the other region(s), many Pokemon from the past generations to catch), and the anime is definitely following in the same direction.

Reaction score
XY series is an mixed of all the past Pokemon series put together in one.

That's the way i see it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If by the group giving AG vibes you mean its a group of 4, two of whom are siblings, than yes. Other than that, no.

Reaction score
Not really...besides the 4 man squad which we had at times in BW and one starter each that is all.

Melodies Of Life
Reaction score
i hope not, don't want serena to go the contest shipping route

Mahuo Shojo Pearlo!
Reaction score
Just as long as they don't screw up with Team Flare like they did with Aqua & Magma. That'll all I ask.

Last edited:
Mahuo Shojo Pearlo!
Reaction score
Just as long as they don't fuck up with Team Flare like they did with Aqua & Magma.
You forgot Team Plasma.
Actually, I'm okay with how they turned out. They could've been done better (No Shadow Triad? Weak, producers! :mad:), but I'm satisfied. And Episode N doesn't have a fraction of the Groudon vs. Kyore 2 Parter's terribleness! (It pwns it on animation alone!)

Last edited:
PokéJoker
Reaction score
I have that strong vibe too...I hope it wont be a complete AG clone though!
I'm sure this series will have it's own uniqueness from the AG series

Licensed Hunter
Reaction score
It kind of does remind me of AG, seeing as Ash is traveling with siblings again. Serena reminds of me of May so far, but we haven't really seen that much of her character yet besides the fact that she had a past with Ash. She's getting the fire starter too, which is understandable.

G50

Night Owl
Reaction score
It has a few similarities such as starters being split up, a group of 4, Main female getting the fire starter. A few differences though, with Serena being into Rhyhorn racing or something else and possibly not contests, Ash getting the water starter instead of grass, and if Team Flare appears that it is one evil team and not two.

If there are a lot more similarities like contests, Jessie getting involved in races along with Serena, no rival until the league, etc. then they will be more similar than they are currently.

Surgeon of Death
Reaction score
I've had this vibe ever since the logo for the series was revealed.
Compare the logo for XY
To the logo for AG

The shape is fairly similar, while the color scheme for the subtitles are practically the same.

I was further convinced after it was revealed that Ash would travel in a group of four, with two of them being siblings. It's a good thing they try to differentiate from May and Max by switching different aspects of them. Coincidentally, Clemont is the fifth gym leader of the region, much like how Norman is in Hoenn.

As for Serena, my first impression of her was that her resemblance to Dawn but with light brown hair, though someone did pointed out her resemblance to Leaf due to her hair, her outfit, and presumably being from Kanto. Just like when May was introduced, she also have a different goal that was rather unheard of before.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Compare the logo for XY
To the logo for AG

The shape is fairly similar, while the color scheme for the subtitles are practically the same.
Don't all the logos in the anime look like that, at least in Japan? XD The colors match because the legendaries are the same color XD

Surgeon of Death
Reaction score
Compare the logo for XY
To the logo for AG

Don't all the logos in the anime look like that, at least in Japan? XD The colors match because the legendaries are the same color XD
The base at the bottom is shorter than the one on top, as compared to the DP logo, where the bottom base is larger. On the other hand, the ones for the original series and BW series have concave bases.