• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else here regretted ending up with Empoleon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyting, I regret torterra. Infernape's the only one that's actually useful in competitive battling.

Others have 4x weaknesses and slow speed.

Smogon says Empoleon is OU. And he doesn't have any 4x weaknesses.

Of course I've never regretted Empoleon, I've picked it 2 times for Diamond and Platinum.

Ingame, I agree that Empoleon is a little meh. There are other water types that simply do it's job better. But keep in mind that Empoleon has an immunity to Poison, a resistance to a whopping 11 types, and only three weaknesses (Fighting, Ground, and Electric). Not a bad deal.

Compare that with Infernape, who may have great speed and attacking skills, but also sports four weakness to really common types (Flying, Psychic, and especially Water and Ground), and Torterra, which has middle-of-the-road stats and sports a X4 Ice weakness as well as weaknesses to Fire, Flying, and Bug. Empoleon isn't too shabby.

No my emploeon was great... substatute, grass knot, surf, blizzard... great mixed sweeper. I had an EV trained on with this moveset and held leftovers and beat palmer in battle tower with just my emploeon with those 4 moves :)..

Speedy enough to substatute first, use leftovers to restore some HP. Dragonite is out, use blizzard, if it misses I have another chance to hit, usually it does with me with substatute its better and more power than ice beam. Dragonite is gone. Next comes rhyperior, emploeon goes first, 1HKO with grass knot. Finally comes milotic... resore some HP with leftovers, and if it survives, 3 moves with grass knot can do it. A pretty fast battle. Milotic is not exactly the easiest to beat, but not so difficult either, even with this movepool

Honestly, I haven't played DPPt with Piplup as my starter. Though I have traded with my sister to get Piplup and thus Empoleon, and I kind of like it. It's certainly interesting and unique, but it's good. I haven't used it that much, but it definently has a different role from most other Water types out there.

I chose Empoleon, and one thing's for sure - he was useful for taking on Palkia, due to him resisting all of its attacks.

That's what's good about Empoleon and indeed the Steel-type in general - they have a load of resistances. However, the catch is their weakness to the common attacking types Ground and Fighting. That is why I have Drill Peck on my Empoleon to take on Fighting types and Torterra if needed, as well as Hydro Pump and Waterfall for Ground types. He's still vulnerable to those types though. The solution is to just switch to something else.

I Like Empoleon personally but i do prefer Infernape. However Empoleon in Platinum can take 2 of the elite 4 almost by itself. It is no use for competetive but in game it is good.

I Like Empoleon personally but i do prefer Infernape. However Empoleon in Platinum can take 2 of the elite 4 almost by itself. It is no use for competetive but in game it is good.

I strongly disagree with the last statement.

First off, Empoleon's OU, making it one of only three starters currently in that tier (Infernape and Swampert are the other two.)

Secondly, I'm of the school that believes that any pokemon can be great in competitive battles if used correctly.

Lastly, have you ever tried an Empoleon with Agility+Grass Knot+Surf+Ice Beam? The speed boost is ridiculous and the type coverage is excellent. It can sweep through entire teams provided they don't have a scarfed fighter/ground or a pokemon with Vacum Wave/Mach Punch.

I personally think Empoleon is an amazing Pokemon in the right hands (tied with Torterra for favorite Sinnoh starter)

It depends entirely on your battling style and empoleon just does not meet the grade in my team maily due to its speed

Not me. In every game I start with the Fire-type. Only in Silver I started with Totodile cuz' it's cooler than cindaquill.

About Empoleon I have never considered it being a part Steel type, every time I was about to battle it I sent out my Luxray or Roserade and I was wondering why don't Grass moves deal him more daamage.

Now I know.

My Empoleon is awesome because I know how to use him. He's my team leader in Platinum and one of the two Pokemon I use most (along with Infernape)

as long as you accept his limitations, he makes a great wall against non-fighters / ground types.

*Raises hand*

Empoleon sucks. I picked it in Platinum, and now I obviously wish I had picked Infernape. It's so much better.

I never had much of a problem with Empoleon when I used it, but after choosing Chimchar, I have to say I prefer Infernape to Empoleon.

Nope. I like Empoleon. Granted, I don't use him as much I use Gyrados (a great pokemon despite his uber weakness to electricity).

Absolutely not. I may be biased, because of it's penguinness, but I'm not much of a competitive battler and I GTS'd a Chimchar and Turtwig shortly into my Diamond game. All three stayed as a part of my team for most of the rest of the game afterwards.

No my emploeon was great... substatute, grass knot, surf, blizzard... great mixed sweeper.
Do I even have to point out the mistake here? ;-)

Smogon's opinion of Empoleon:
Empoleon is a very unique Pokémon that is consistently underestimated. As a defensive Pokémon, it has a lot of potential; Empoleon definitely has the defensive stats to exploit his 12 resistances, often walling entire move sets of Pokémon such as Kingdra. Offensively, it is a force to be reckoned with and unlike the majority of late game sweepers does not fear priority attacks from Scizor or Mamoswine at all. Overall, Empoleon is surprisingly versatile and an asset to almost any team.

Not sure why anyone would regret having one.

When I started with Piplup in Platinum, the only even remotely related regret was that I didn't do so in Diamond two years ago. Its Steel typing can be a bit of a pain, but it's not as if Ice would've been much better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom