• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else notice how small an effect Ash has had on Team Rocket?

Should he have a larger affect on the team?

• Yeah! He should do something besides fight the trio

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • No, I like it the way it is

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Who cares?

Votes: 24 48.0%

• Total voters

BrockHasEyes

For now.
Reaction score
(I'm not talking about the trio, I mean Team Rocket as a whole)

Think about it, compared to Red and Ethan, Ash has done almost nothing besides blast the same three grunts into the sky 650 times. Some people complain Ash and Giovanni have never met/battled. That's why, Ash does like, nothing to his plans in the Anime.

I have this odd feeling that Best Wishes may rectify your complaint. Maybe not.

To be honest though, there's no real reason for it any more. They didn't do the whole "evil team foiling" stuff back in Kanto and Johto to the extent they do it now and there's not really a reason for them start.

(Sorry if the title sounds biased)
Anyway, I was just wondering, do Ash or Giovanni even know who each other are? I would assume Giovanni knows about Ash from the trio. (Of course, he hardly knows who they are....)

hopefully Giovanni and a serious team rocket will be involved in the plot against Team plasma with Ash getting caught in the middle.

I'm sure Giovanni at least knows about Ash since Ash has stopped them capturing Lugia and ruined the Red Gyarados expirement episodes. plus there's teh whole mewtwo returns thing if u consider it canon.

I have this odd feeling that Best Wishes may rectify your complaint. Maybe not.

To be honest though, there's no real reason for it any more. They didn't do the whole "evil team foiling" stuff back in Kanto and Johto to the extent they do it now and there's not really a reason for them start.

hopefully Giovanni and a serious team rocket will be involved in the plot against Team plasma with Ash getting caught in the middle.

I'm sure Giovanni at least knows about Ash since Ash has stopped them capturing Lugia and ruined the Red Gyarados expirement episodes. plus there's teh whole mewtwo returns thing if u consider it canon.

SUPER QUOTAGE! Anyway, I sorta agree with all of the above. While I would enjoy a plot where Giovanni and Ash have one final battle, there is another fantastic path they could take. Ash could take a larger stand against Team Rocket, but still not actually meet Giovanni, who could have a growing hatred of Ash.

Sorta like an Inspector Gadget thing, but with no talking dog named after a body part.

While it might be possible Giovanni has heard of Ash from the Lugia and Red Gyarados events, even though he wasn't connected/referred to in either events, he didn't even learn Ash's name when he briefly saw him in Mewtwo Returns. Besides that, Givoanni's memory was erased at the end of that movie, so he wouldn't remember seeing Ash anyway.

I have noticed that unlike with the games, there isn't a need to really break up the region's evil team, but to just fight them when Ash and his friends see them doing something bad with/involving Pokemon on their regular journey. It might be a way to show that the journey is the main focus in the series and the evil team aspect, while important, isn't as significant in the long run compared to Gyms/Contests. Even with Team Rocket's new outfits and all, I doubt that they're really going to be involved with the Team Plasma storyline. I'm not expecting much beyond what happened with the trio and Team Magma/Aqua/Galactic to happen here with Team Plasma.

compared to Red and Ethan

Nitpicking, but Ethan isn't confirmed as the protagonist so why not use a gender neutral term next time.

I can't see how Ash can affect TR as a whole. He's never met more then a few random grunts.

The Trio are not mere grunts, they are agents of higher rank, if I'm not mistaken.
I actually like the way it is in Anime. Team Rocket seems mysterious as it's true numbers and powers are unknown. It makes them special.

Seriously, anime and manga made Team Rocket much more... epic! It's influence on the plot in games is relatively small, especially when compared to Team Galactic and Team Plasma (especially Plasma).

The Trio are not mere grunts, they are agents of higher rank, if I'm not mistaken.
I actually like the way it is in Anime. Team Rocket seems mysterious as it's true numbers and powers are unknown. It makes them special.

Seriously, anime and manga made Team Rocket much more... epic! It's influence on the plot in games is relatively small, especially when compared to Team Galactic and Team Plasma (especially Plasma).

The manga: yes :: the anime: no.
Team Rocket organization is already dealt with back in Joutoh, so we're back to just Jessie, James, Meowth, and Giovanni as the face of the organization. After their screwups in Joutoh the organization went into massive hiding to the point in which everyone thought they disbanded. This means that the Anime Rockets is now more of a secret organization than a crime syndicate.

Jessie, James, and Meowth is Ash's only concern since they're always after his Pikachu. You should all know by now that he's only confront the an organization if something or someone drags him into it.

After their screwups in Joutoh the organization went into massive hiding to the point in which everyone thought they disbanded.
Who is "everyone"?
The defeats in Johto doesn't mean the destruction of all Team Rocket.

The manga: yes :: the anime: no.
The Mewtwo plot shows otherwise.

This means that the Anime Rockets is now more of a secret organization than a crime syndicate.
Anime Team Rocket is a mix of stereotypical secret agents, evil scientists and paramilitary. They are not just rogues in hiding.

Who is "everyone"?
The defeats in Johto doesn't mean the destruction of all Team Rocket.
I was referring to those two incidents with the Lugia and the Red Gyrados. Since Lance got on their tail, they have no choice but to go into hiding; that's way we didn't see much of them in later sagas.

The Mewtwo plot shows otherwise.
Also done in original and Joutoh sagas.

Anime Team Rocket is a mix of stereotypical secret agents, evil scientists and paramilitary. They are not just rogues in hiding.
That's what they once were. Now as what the children are concern, they're just your average secret evil organization. The target audience don't care about the organization, so why should you?

The entirety of the Rocket Brigade dissolved to the point in which the only purpose they serve is to boss Jessie, James, and Meowth around. That's why we no longer need an ending to the Rockets, they're not that important to the plot anymore.

Maybe Ash would have an effect if, you know, he was actually around when Team Rocket is pulling off some evil plan. It wasn't like he went to Hoenn or Sinnoh specifically to take out the evil teams there - he just happened to be at the right place at the wrong time, decides to try and interfere and continues on his way. He can't interfere with Team Rocket's plans if he doesn't know about them, now, can he?

Maybe Ash would have an effect if, you know, he was actually around when Team Rocket is pulling off some evil plan. It wasn't like he went to Hoenn or Sinnoh specifically to take out the evil teams there - he just happened to be at the right place at the wrong time, decides to try and interfere and continues on his way. He can't interfere with Team Rocket's plans if he doesn't know about them, now, can he?

Or if he's somehow dragged into their schemes like he always do.

Nitpicking, but Ethan isn't confirmed as the protagonist so why not use a gender neutral term next time.

Ethan was the only playable character in Pokemon Gold/Silver, Kris wasn't introduced until Crystal, so I would say that qualifies him as the protagonist.

I'd take my dark, shadowy mafia over a gang of thieves anyday.

Ethan was the only playable character in Pokemon Gold/Silver, Kris wasn't introduced until Crystal, so I would say that qualifies him as the protagonist.

I could make an entire rant why Lyra is the protagonist. That means nothing.

Wow. Big, flamy discussion goin' on here.

Anyway, I usually consider Ethan the Canon hero of Gen 2. It depends how you look at what is cannon and what isn't (Remakes, originals, third versions).

But now were getting off topic. No, i'm not saying Ash needs to get all up in their buisness (Snap :drool:), i'm not saying he needs to break them up, and i'm not saying he needs to battle Giovanni, but doing SOMTHING besides:
"Pikachu, use Thunder Bolt!"
"Were blasting off agaaaaain!"

I was referring to those two incidents with the Lugia and the Red Gyrados. Since Lance got on their tail, they have no choice but to go into hiding; that's way we didn't see much of them in later sagas.
Theory sounds good, but we don't have the confirmation.

Also done in original and Joutoh sagas.

That's what they once were. Now as what the children are concern, they're just your average secret evil organization. The target audience don't care about the organization, so why should you?

The entirety of the Rocket Brigade dissolved to the point in which the only purpose they serve is to boss Jessie, James, and Meowth around. That's why we no longer need an ending to the Rockets, they're not that important to the plot anymore.
I got you point. But, again, does the amount of screentime for organisation means something in canon perspective? By the way, it looks like Giovanni appears frequently now. Maybe soon we will see other agents besides the Trio. I mean, why bother changing his design and giving him more screentime if he plays no role?

We shall see.

I don't think Ash cares much about Team Rocket... he's to busy trying to win every league...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom