• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else play or played The Sims games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFrombaugh

Reaction score
For those who don't know, The Sims is a series of Sim-series games that simulates the challenges of ordinary everyday life, from keeping your house in shape, to career challenges, to relationships - but in a world which is often transformed into something fantastical (for example you can meet and marry vampires, fairies, etc.)

I have played the first three games with a number of the respective expansion packs installed in each over the years, and they are all pretty good, I would say TS2 is probably my overall favorite, although TS3 has a bit more of a learning curve as it has a lot more new features introduced over many more expansion packs.

If any of you guys have read my fanfiction story The Paxton and Joseph Show, I make a couple of references to The Sims in there. Bianca’s mother getting fired for driving an ambulance on the sidewalk is a reference to a Chance Card from the Medical career in TS2 in which you can actually try to do that to skip past a traffic jam on your way to pick up a patient (which usually doesn't work, and hence your Sim gets fired). And in the interview with Cheryl, when a crew member accidentally breaks the show's special effects, the lines he says are based on what the Genie from the original Sims would say when the “Work” wish failed.

I haven't played a Sims game in awhile, I've gotten older even if I am still into Pokémon LOL, but I do have some fond memories of those games from my middle school/high school/early college years.

I definitely had the most mods for the sims 2. But I think I like individual parts from 3 and 4 better. As a whole they make me so much angrier then 2 ever did but they have a few good qualities.

On PC I always try and do one no cheat save file where I actually do the hard work up to all the lifetime goals. On my 8000 other files I mod the heck out of them. The mods have the unfortunately have the side effect of making me stop playing faster. That's why the console versions keep me more invested then PC. If I turn on cheats on console the trophies get locked.

I've only played spin-offs of it, but I have seen youtube vids about it.

I do have a question though... I heard about sims being able to set your house on fire by making a salad. Is it possible?

Ah, The Sims. I've been playing the series since The Sims 1 (just barely, I really got into the series in early 2004, just months before the release of The Sims 2). I'm really off-and-on and play the game in phases, but I really love The Sims. It's just a shame that it is stuck under such a greedy company as EA. The greed has certainly shown, especially with TS3 and 4.

Despite the greed, The Sims 3 is, in the end, my favorite of the series. I love the open world and story progression. I was skeptical of it at first, but it turns out that's what I like the best. Of course, it needs mods, lots of mods.

This is probably one large reason why I still play The Sims, but not so much titles like Animal Crossing. The Sims has a community of fans who continue to develop content for it. Heck, there's even a lot of content still being developed by fans for The Sims 2. They have really given that title such a massive visual overhaul - skies and background terrain that makes the neighborhoods look more realistic. I'm impressed, but personally, I still prefer The Sims 3's gameplay.

I do have a question though... I heard about sims being able to set your house on fire by making a salad. Is it possible?

From my experience I've never seen that happen and I don't know how it would happen because when sims prepare salad they never touch the oven, which is where cooking fires start. Unless this was something wacky they added in The Sims 4. It could be, but I can't tell you as I don't play The Sims 4.

First Sims game I played was The Sims for Gamecube. I played all of the Gamecube-era ones since I was afraid my PC wouldn't be able to handle the games back then, and they were good. Obviously the PC versions are the best though with so many more features, I've learned that since playing them. TS4 on PS4 is nice though since it's pretty much the same as PC minus mods, but I barely use mods anyway (except for lifespan stuff in TS2), so I play PS4 for that one.

My favorite is either The Sims 2: Ultimate Collection (the one with all the expansions packs, stuff packs, etc) or The Sims 3 (with Supernatural and Ambitions, the only two expansions I have for that one).

TS3 has the open world and I really love being able to visit different places so easily... once you get past the initial LONG loading period to start up the game. But after that, it's always smooth sailing for me. I especially enjoyed the town that came in the Supernatural expansion, so dreary and dark, just the way I like it! I think 3 was best for crafting unique personalities for Sims (I use the "brooding" trait so much, I'm so predictable it hurts lmao), and I liked being able to recolor things to my heart's desire with Create-a-Style. I know people complain that all the Sims look like potatoes in 3 without mods or CC, but I've made some attractive Sims without CC and like all the customization options, so I don't really get that.

TS2:UC is FANTASTIC. I only really got into it after I got afraid that TS3 was murdering my laptop and at first it was kind of disappointing since I missed the world from 3, but once I got into it, I got REALLY into it. I think The Sims 2 had the most "love" put into it during the development process. So many little details that make it feel special. Having all the expansions and stuff helps too since it feels like there is so much you can do. I just wish it had the traits and moodlets from TS3, that'd make it almost perfect.

Anyone else play the MySims games on the Wii? Oh man, I loved those too! They were so cute, and the humor was actually pretty funny, at least to me. Agents and Kingdom were my favorites, but I also liked the Party one (both the DS and Wii versions) since it was a pretty solid minigame collection. I also wish they'd do another somewhat linear game with goals like The Urbz on GBA/DS. I played so much of that game (and the Bustin' Out one).

I've played bits of all of them. I grew up with Sims 1 (I am still haunted by the sound of them flushing or getting some water) but moved onto Sims 2 a long while later. It's pretty much hell but I enjoy making a gigantic square for a house and decorating it with anything I can to fill up the insane level of space.

Played a bit of three. Not much, so I didn't get a chance to rate it, and I played Sims 4. Loved it, a bit empty without the absurdly expensive packs, but going to Meteor Falls (or whatever) and having affairs is pretty fun. A total accident, by the way. You take your eyes of one of your Sim's for five seconds and the next thing... ugh. What a disgusting use for a closet aughgh....
Lmao

I was never a huge fan of Sims, when I was younger though I used to play Sims 2 at my cousin's house when she babysat me. She had the Sims 2, don't think she had any mods for it though. My little sister though, she ended up really loving the Sims. So my dad got her a copy, and I ended up playing when I was bored. I definitely was more invested in building houses that cost way too much.

I also own a copy of the Sims 4 for PS4 courtesy of my brother's ex-girlfriend. They broke up, and he never touched the game lol, so I snagged it. :b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom