• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else wishes Heartgold/Soulsilver had been made during Gen V. ?

elveonora

Reaction score
After my relatively recent playthrough of HG, I couldn't help but wish:
* the sprites were constantly animated
* hidden machines were reusable
* new moves and hidden abilities were present
* dark grass/horde encounters
* seasons
* Pokemart being combined with Pokecenter
* no poison status outside of battle (yes, I'm real)
* field moves requiring no badges
* faster depleting HP bar
* habitat mode

I think these would have made the remake much better, also on top of those, I wish the game had better Pokemon availability/distribution along with wild and trainers' Pokemon not being so underleveled T_T

It seems they do the remakes at random, since the plan doesn't look to be having them remade either 2 generations later nor to have a remake every 2 generations, because in those cases it would have been remakes in Gens 3 (happened), 5 (didn't happen), 7 (won't happen, since ROAS is being made now) or 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.

Now I wish for a remake of a remake :p Do you think that will ever happen?

After my relatively recent playthrough of HG, I couldn't help but wish:
* the sprites were constantly animated
* hidden machines were reusable
* new moves and hidden abilities were present
* dark grass/horde encounters
* seasons
* Pokemart being combined with Pokecenter
* no poison status outside of battle (yes, I'm real)
* field moves requiring no badges
* faster depleting HP bar
* habitat mode

You could also make the argument that GS remakes should've been released in Generation VI instead, since we would've had 3D battles, a fully 3D overworld, greater online features to take advantage of, and so on. As the series goes on, new features and refinements will be made that'll make the older games feel outdated. There's really no way around it; it would've been worse if they were made for the GBA instead, or if Johto had been included in FRLG, nullifying the need for HGSS right there.

I wish the game had better Pokemon availability/distribution along with wild and trainers' Pokemon not being so underleveled T_T

I agree, but that wouldn't have changed even if the games were developed for Generation V.

It seems they do the remakes at random

They relegate remakes by system, not generation. If the pattern holds, we'll see DP remakes on the successor to the 3DS, unless they decide to go for something different to fulfill the vacancy (sequels, a new region, etc.). Just like elements of Kanto were incorporated into Kalos, though, I could see aspects of Johto being featured in Gen 7.

They relegate remakes by system, not generation.
Good point, didn't think of that.
As the series goes on, new features and refinements will be made that'll make the older games feel outdated. There's really no way around it
This is very unfortunate though. Wouldn't have made it sense then to release another Kanto remake along with ORAS? It would sell like hotcakes. Gen VI. remake of Gen III. renders Gen III. obsolete, and so does the Gen I. remake in it by extension, very few people will play FR/LG once ORAS come out. Like come on, it asks for second Kanto remake, hell even the anime adaptation of XY uses a remixed version of the original Pokemon Theme :p

This is very unfortunate though. Wouldn't have made it sense then to release another Kanto remake along with ORAS? It would sell like hotcakes. Gen VI. remake of Gen III. renders Gen III. obsolete, and so does the Gen I. remake in it by extension, very few people will play FR/LG once ORAS come out. Like come on, it asks for second Kanto remake, hell even the anime adaptation of XY uses a remixed version of the original Pokemon Theme :p

I don't think a re-remake would sell as well, most of the veterans are sick of Kanto at this point, and going back for the 5th time with no significant changes would be too grating for them to want it, it would sell almost exclusively to the audience that was too young to play FRLG. What they could do is a BW2 style sequel, but that would have the opposite effect, the veterans would be more inclined to buy it, but the younger players may not like it as much because they haven't had the opportunity to play the originals. I think the best way to go about this would be to have some kind of bundle deal, sell FRLG and its sequel in the same package, but I don't think Game Freak would go for that solution at this point if at all.

The gap between FRLG and HGSS was already close to 6 years, which I'd say was long enough (the gap between HGSS and ORAS is a bit over 5 years). It wouldn't have made sense to delay the remakes and release Black and White in the same year as Gold and Silver's tenth anniversary.

I don't think that the Generation V mechanics would have made HGSS a lot better, but I do think HGSS should have had better animated sprites considering that Crystal introduced the feature (Emerald brought it back in a limited capacity, with the Generation IV games using that template rather than Crystal's). I'd say that quite a few of the features Black and White introduced or polished were deliberately not included in the Generation IV games.

No. The overall look of Gen 4 was vastly better than Gen 5.

I don't think a re-remake would sell as well, most of the veterans are sick of Kanto at this point, and going back for the 5th time with no significant changes would be too grating for them to want it, it would sell almost exclusively to the audience that was too young to play FRLG. What they could do is a BW2 style sequel, but that would have the opposite effect, the veterans would be more inclined to buy it, but the younger players may not like it as much because they haven't had the opportunity to play the originals. I think the best way to go about this would be to have some kind of bundle deal, sell FRLG and its sequel in the same package, but I don't think Game Freak would go for that solution at this point if at all.
As you imply, remakes are rarely targeted at the veterans. Also I wouldn't call a completely remastered in 3D Kanto as "more of the same" it would be great to see Pallet Town in-game like it does in the anime, with more than 3 buildings and 4 people or so.
The gap between FRLG and HGSS was already close to 6 years, which I'd say was long enough (the gap between HGSS and ORAS is a bit over 5 years). It wouldn't have made sense to delay the remakes and release Black and White in the same year as Gold and Silver's tenth anniversary.

I don't think that the Generation V mechanics would have made HGSS a lot better, but I do think HGSS should have had better animated sprites considering that Crystal introduced the feature (Emerald brought it back in a limited capacity, with the Generation IV games using that template rather than Crystal's). I'd say that quite a few of the features Black and White introduced or polished were deliberately not included in the Generation IV games.
Possibly, because Heartgold/Soulsilver and Black/White were developed at the same time I'd say. That's even less of an excuse to purposely "save content for later"
No. The overall look of Gen 4 was vastly better than Gen 5.

Such as?

The graphical style of Gen 4 was much better than that of Gen 5.
Maybe in your opinion.

Anyway, any older game would benefit to have the trends and features of latter Generations, when GameFreak doesn't screw around, which is what usually happens anyway. Even in 6th Gen, they would probably insist on being way too loyal to the original games and not make many much-needed changes. Happened with FRLG (No way to see Ribbons, no clock and thus no way to get Espeon/Umbreon, no way to get Milotic, no pre-National Pokédex expansion), HGSS (No Pokétch, no Moss Rock or Ice Rock, no magnetic zone, no VS Seeker, meaningless Pokédex expansion), and even ORAS is shaping up to ignore convenience over faithfulness.

If anything, maybe if they had left it for 5th Gen, HGSS would've benefited from an infinitely better storyline, which among its horrid pacing, is its biggest flaw. Alas, they fixed next to nothing in both fields.

As you imply, remakes are rarely targeted at the veterans.

Maybe not, but they take veterans into account, I don't think they'd want all of the veterans not to buy the games.

Also I wouldn't call a completely remastered in 3D Kanto as "more of the same" it would be great to see Pallet Town in-game like it does in the anime, with more than 3 buildings and 4 people or so.

I wouldn't be so sure, a couple of the areas in ORAS have similar designs to the originals, I don't think they'd make those kinds of expansions in a straight remake.

If anything, maybe if they had left it for 5th Gen, HGSS would've benefited from an infinitely better storyline, which among its horrid pacing, is its biggest flaw. Alas, they fixed next to nothing in both fields.

There's very little they could've done to fix the pacing if they were keeping with the originals. I don't think HGSS can be redeemed without dropping Kanto and giving Johto full focus, and the only way they can do that is with a sequel.

Being part of the 5th Gen wouldn't have fixed the storyline of Gen 2 and unlike what a lot of people think here, BW story being the best in series is not a FACT, it's just opinion, in my opinion it was just as bad as Gen 2 storyline. They should have fixed the poor level curve, Johto feeling too small and crammed and alot more stuff in Kanto than just beating Gym Leaders before fixing the storyline and if they didn't fixed that in Gen 4, i doubt they would have tried to do it in Gen 5.

If it wasn't put into gen 4 then that gen would be very poor. Not many people like gen 5 because it has no remakes.

I'm gonna call bullshit here. There is a 100% chance that the story of HGSS would have remained the same as GSC even if it was done in Gen 5. Gen 5 also had one of the worst stories ever.

There's very little they could've done to fix the pacing if they were keeping with the originals. I don't think HGSS can be redeemed without dropping Kanto and giving Johto full focus, and the only way they can do that is with a sequel.
At least someone here contributed a good point. I agree. If only that happened. Maybe by Gen 10 when they're tired of remakes. lol

Plus, looking at XY, it's not like all their huge improvements in storytelling in 5th Gen amounted to anything at all.

No but I would like to have seen ORAS in Gen 5, so that we could get 3DPPt by now.

And also I do want to see a FRLGemake. We haven't visited Kanto properly (don't count GS addition) since 2004, think a return is overdue, maybe more so than Ruby/Sapphire, if you consider that Emerald, a Hoenn based game came out in 2005, so actually we've been 1 year longer without a Kanto based game than a Hoenn based game.

Overall I think no, HG/SS were fine as they are. The moving sprites in Gen V actually look worse than the sprites in Gen IV to me, mostly because of odd distortion effects. The fact that it takes so long for the HP bar to decrement is an annoyance but one I can forgive. Dark grass and seasons weren't in GSC, and so even if the games were remade in Gen V, they wouldn't be features. Look at FireRed and LeafGreen: the games have no time of day and no berry-planting, both key features of Generation III; Gen I didn't use day and night, so neither did their remakes.

Frankly, I think it would have been better if Gen V took some of the lessons the game developers learned in making HG/SS and applied them to Black and White. Walking with your Pokémon was a huge success, and the visuals in HG/SS were top-notch for sprite-based games. {As games I feel X and Y are inferior to HG and SS, but I can't deny that they picked the right time to go full 3D. Gen VI is *gorgeous*.} Like I said, I haven't played B2/W2 yet, but for my money I feel that B/W had a lot more to gain from HG/SS than the other way around.

Gen 3 also had one of the worst stories ever.
Fixed.

Oh that's cute. Another Gen 3 hater. Gen 5's story was massively flawed and still would have had no effect on the GSC remakes.

Gen 3 also had one of the worst stories ever.
Fixed.

Oh that's cute. Another Gen 3 hater. Gen 5's story was massively flawed and still would have had no effect on the GSC remakes.

First of all i'm not a Gen 3 hater, Emerald is one of my favorite games in the series but that doesn't mean i would look past the fact that the rivals and villainous teams were very handled poorly to other games, it's funny that you will call me hater yet your the one here who's going "Gen 5 is bad because it's Gen 5".

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom