• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone else's family not get it?

AbbyNormal

Super Special Awesome!
Reaction score
Does anyone else have a family that makes fun of them for liking what they like? For example, my mom just asked if I wanted to go see "The American" or "The Town" with her and my brother, neither of which I have any particular interest in. When I declined, my mom made it out like it was because I didn't want to see HER for the week she was in town, and started in on me because "Oh, you just don't want to go because it doesn't have magic and elves and and dragons and Pokemon and all that stupid shit."

Gee, thanks, MOM. Anyone else have issues with family mocking them for being "childish" or whatever?

(Sorry if this is the wrong place.. I couldn't quite figure out where it goes...)

My dad sometimes amkes fun of the fact that I like Pokemon.
Here are the ways he does it:
1: He purposly says Pokemon as "PokEmon" and stresses the entire word.
2: He says to me "Alexandra, I see that you like POKEMON." I practically die from embarassment whenever he says that DX

And yes, my name actually is Alexandra. But don't use my name as something against me.

My parents give me shit for gaming all the time (and they don't even know I still like Pokemon...)

It's annoying but I've learned to ignore them. And I'm away at school most of the time anyways so it's not a big deal.

Back when I was in my anime-craze days my family made fun of all those "weird Japanese cartoons." I don't watch as much nowadays, so they don't bring it up anymore. My dad finds my like of horror movies odd because no one else in our household does. (And is surprised Pokemon is still going on. When my sister was watching my Orange Island DVDs he was like "Holy crap, this is still on? I remember when you used to watch this stuff.")

my dad is 60 so he doesn't realy get the whole video games concept and on top of that he calls them pokEmons

Who cares what they think
We are the ones that decide what to like and what to not like

" Why are you such a geek? All our money is going to your stupid anime cosplays. Get a real hobby. "

ehh, my famiy isn't really supportive, y'know.

My mom gets kinda pissy when it comes to my gaming habits, but hey, it's what I like. It's either video games or drugs, and I prefer video games. My mom & I also have differing tastes in movies; based on the previews, I usually decide on a movie I wanna see, but whether or not the other wants to see it, we still go see it regardless. Usually it ends up being great. (Like I didn't want to see Avatar (the one with blue people), but I ended up liking it in the end.)

My 10 year old sister gave me shit for playing pokemon white. She asked what I was playing, and I said pokemon. She said "Pokemon? Ok...bit werid..."

What an asshat.

Sometimes mine. They mostly don't say anything but when they do it's pretty hurtful.

Agreed Felly.
So my parents don't mind.
But they get pissed about my gaming habits.

Thanks.

"Wow. Pokemon is for 7 year olds." -My little sister.

Ungrateful kids...

My family doesn't make fun of me, but my mom says I spend too much time doing pokemon stuff when I should be doing stuff with my friends and helping the community and stuff. But pokemon is so much more interesting. :p

"Gotta catch tham PEEK-a-CHUES!" or "Poke-EEE-mons." I usually don't care but it gets really annoying at times.

I've been there more times than I'd care to count. My dad stresses the word "PokEEEmon", and my mom really gives me a load of verbal shit for having different interests than the rest of my family. That's why rule number 1 here is "When in doubt, always blame Nathan."

...And they've taunted me for a bunch of other reasons, including my sexuality, my obsession with Fire Emblem, etc...

I've been there more times than I'd care to count. My dad stresses the word "PokEEEmon", and my mom really gives me a load of verbal shit for having different interests than the rest of my family. That's why rule number 1 here is "When in doubt, always blame Nathan."

...And they've taunted me for a bunch of other reasons, including my sexuality, my obsession with Fire Emblem, etc...

That's pretty much in here. My mom's rule- "Abby's happy? Let's pick on the next thing that comes out of her mouth and call her oversensitive when she gets offended. Then we'll make fun of her cosplaying ex!"

My mom doesn't really give a shit what I do.
Only thing she makes fun of me for is dating guys that are younger than me, and calls me immature and childish for it.

My mom's quite supportive. c: My dad on the other hand... e_e

"You wasted £1000s on those stupid cards. And now you never use them."

Yeah, that's because you threw them all away, dad! Gahhh! I miss my bad-ass, old style Pokémon cards. -sniffle-

Back
Top Bottom