• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone here know a second language?

What languages do you know?

• None, only English

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • I know more than one language asides from English

Votes: 65 67.7%
  • I'm in the process of learning another language

Votes: 35 36.5%

• Total voters
Spanish is my first language, English a close second. Took two years of French in middle/high school, and am currently half-assing it on Duolingo. Native speakers say I do pretty well for someone who hasn't formally studied the language in about 16 years (I took a semester in college once). My official foreign language requirement for university was fulfilled by two years of Japanese, and I will be taking the JLPT N5 this Sunday. I'm also currently half-assing German on Duolingo (in which every so often an old man will show up and go "ICH BIN EIN BANANE!" for whatever reason), and half-assing Korean (which I will full-ass (is this actually a term? What is the opposite of half-assing? ^O__o^;; me talk good) after the JLPT) using an actual textbook.

I'm planning on being fluent in Japanese, Korean, French, and German eventually, and then move on to Russian and Portuguese. I really really really want to learn Mandarin but I can't really wrap my head around the four (five?) tones thing so I think that one might be impossible. sadface~ (yes, I want to speak EVERYTHING)

@Maniacal Engineer: if you're looking for some textbooks I recommend the Genki series, which approximately covers the JLPT N5 and N4. If you want to become more fluent than that you'll have to research some other textbooks (the JLPT goes up to N1, which is "native language proficiency"). As for kanji, you need to know like 1,500 of them just to read a newspaper. For these "general use kanji" I recommend "A Guide to Reading and Writing Japanese" published by Tuttle. Good luck!

edit: Oh yeah, you can find the audio files for Genki online since the student copies don't come with CDs or anything.

I can speak a few words in Mando'a if that counts for anything.

I am using the Genki textbook. A friend got it for ME, and it does have the CD with audio files.

I don't think I'm actually that bad, but unlike when I learned Hebrew and Spanish, I don't have an expert looking over my shoulder to make sure I'm pronouncing things correctly or writing the words correctly. This is an Endeavor that I am doing on my own of my own free will because the automation industry and robotics has a lot of Japanese companies.

I can speak Urdu and Hindi as my native languages. English comes next, then I know a bit of Arabic. I'm gonna get my cousin to teach me French one of these days.

I am fluent in two languages: English and American Sign Language. The former is my mother language while the latter is my preferred language due to my deafness.

I use spoken English around my family members, some close hearing friends, and at work. I tend to use ASL at Deaf events, school, and with Deaf people.

I also know some Korean words and can read and romanize the alphabet. My twin brother and I had a phase during high school and college where we were obsessed with Korean Dramas.

Obviously English.

Used to be fluent in French. I can speak a little German, Italian and probably going to learn some Russian. Dunno.

Sorta fluent in dutch, but I rarely speak. A tiny bit of Spanish which I use occasionally, and some Japanese which I learned by reading books. :P I really want to visit Japan and improve my Japanese some day.

One of my friends visited Japan and she loved it and wished she never had to return to the states, ohhh well~

My first language is Dutch, but I get the feeling I'm better at English. I used to speak some French, I know some German and Japanese, to some extent.

Last edited:
For the past few months I've been trying to learn Spanish using the Duolingo app. It says I'm about 30% fluent now even though I don't feel like I am. I'm going to try and reach 100% but it looks like it'll take a while.

I'm fluent in English and Portuguese and also able to speak French to some extent (writing in French is a different story though). In addition to that, I also have some understanding of Spanish and Italian, Italian being the language I'm rustier with out of the bunch

Last edited:
yeah, my second languaje is english and my native languaje is spanish, of course my english level isn't perfect and because that my post have some Grammar issues.

Sometimes i forgot some words in spanish, i can give the description of the word in spanish but no the word itself but i can say the word in english xD

Korean is my first language, and my second is English. I can understand bits of Japanese because I've taken classes in high school and college and owing to all that time spent watching anime. I also learned German a few years ago, but forgot most of it except for greetings.

My native language is English, but I'm currently learning Russian, German, Spanish, French, and Lithuanian. I plan to me an interpreter/translator once I start college and all that. I'm a beginner at all of those languages except for German, where I'm at intermediate level, and French, where I'm a beginner/intermediate. I'm having a super difficult time right now with Russian pronunciation though.

English is my native language and the only one I am fluent in. I used to know some high school-grade French, but my memories of it have deteriorated. I'd love to pick it back up, though.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom