• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone here know a second language?

What languages do you know?

• None, only English

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • I know more than one language asides from English

Votes: 65 67.7%
  • I'm in the process of learning another language

Votes: 35 36.5%

• Total voters
Well yeah, English is my secondary language, although most of my friends would argue to say that English would be my primary language,

My native language is Dutch, and I somewhat know German and French as well, but I mostly speak English.

Spanish is technically my first language, but I pretty much became a pro at English at such a young age that I basically consider that the first language. My Spanish is left unused most of the time, and is really rusty. I don't really have a desire to brush it up either, nor do I possess an interest in learning other languages at this time.

Currenly living in Central America, I am forcing myself to learn the Spanish language. It is not perfect, but it's heaps better than what it was before I arrived. The people who live here are so friendly and love helping me out if I'm struggling.

It's probably the best way to pick up the language. Mingle with the locals and just talk. Try. Listen. Learn. It's more helpful than falling asleep in a language course in college.

i knew a few words in Spanish or they call it español. also i know one word in japanese (idiot is the word (baka)) and german (No is the word (nien)) and i know i bit of sign lanuage too

English is my native language. I also know some Japanese and am currently learning German.

Cantonese is my first language. Can't say I'm fluent in it anymore; I can understand it more than I can speak it.

Huh, apparently I haven't posted in this thread even though I voted in the poll, how did I miss that?

Anyway my native language is Greek and I know English very well (C2 level) thanks to my parents who are both English teachers and were getting me used to the language from a very young age. My father also owns a language school and wanted me to get into French from a relatively young age, I've got a B2 level there and let it be for now as I found it a bit hard at the time (it took me years to get to B2), although I'm considering getting better at it eventually* because it's a nice and useful language. I later got into Italian as well and got a C1 level, which is better than French even though I studied only two years and started later.

I've also got just an A1-level class (not certified) in Spanish (dropped it because I was doing too much at the time, maybe someday* I'll continue with it as it's also very useful) but I can actually read pretty well and listen to an extent (thanks to the Italian mostly), but not speak/write.

*read, after I get done with my university studies because until then I don't feel like picking up more languages and later on I'll probably need as much as possible for the job market

Turns out English was my first language. And due to this, my mom is attempting to teach me our native language Tagalog.'

In my life I've learned English as a native and picked up Arabic as a second language, and am currently working on French as well.

My first language is Dutch, and my English is pretty fluent.

I also speak some German and French. Not fluent, but enough to get by in German- or French-speaking countries without having to resort to English.

I know very, very, very basic French and Japanese, but am conversational in neither. My mother tongue of English is the only language I'm fluent with.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom