• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone here who actually hopes the upcomming games are going to be easy?

I think there's a happy medium.

Most would say the games are too easy because you get over-leveled by stuff like the forced exp. share. There are workarounds, but it still feels unnecessarily easy.

Then there are parts like you mentioned, where the game makes it harder in a stupid way. Like Ultra Necrozma. High level, omni-boost to stats, and ridiculously overpowered signature move. This is frustrating because you can't prepare for this aside from grind the hell out of your pokemon, which conflicts with the previous kind.

I think there have been a few games that do difficulty really well. These typically (for me at least) are fights that you go through once or twice before realizing there's a trick or a way to overcome them. It comes down to strategy. The best and most challenging fights in Pokemon are against trainers that use some kind of strategy. The two that stick out to me are very obvious. First I can think of is Elesa. She makes excellent use of volt switch and her ground-immune Emolga to chip away at you. Was the fight hard once I figured that out? No, not so much. But it sure gave me a run for my money when I first got there. Another one that sticks in my brain is Dakim from Colosseum. Being a double battle made it easier to spam a strategy, but all of his Pokemon trade back and forth between earthquake and protect. This initially poses a threat but can easily be worked around when you figure out whose turn it is to EQ and whose to protect. Additional challenge added when you realize his shadow Entei does NOT have protect, and he will kill it.

So yeah, I can see where OP is coming from saying they want games to be easier, some of the fights are brutal but for the wrong reasons. I still feel the games overall are too easy, but those few fights that they try to make "hard" are just done in a raw/unfair way, with no opportunity to learn and prepare and come back to overcome it.
surely there is a happy medium, but i also don't think it's as cut and dry as people make it out to be; there'd definitely be massive changes in how the game is set up to achieve it.

i actually just hope the game has challenging points in it. i'm not wanting it to be like.... Super Difficult or anything like that (it's pokemon, so its likely not going to be lol), but a little challenge goes a long way and that's about where my expectations are.

I'm a bit weary of the leaks thread since I don't want art spoilers, so I'll post this here, since it does pertain to game difficulty:

What's going on with the 'Set' vs. 'Switch' option being removed from the game? I'm a bit confused, as some say it's going to be switch only battles, but others say the opposite.

I'm a bit weary of the leaks thread since I don't want art spoilers, so I'll post this here, since it does pertain to game difficulty:

What's going on with the 'Set' vs. 'Switch' option being removed from the game? I'm a bit confused, as some say it's going to be switch only battles, but others say the opposite.
i can't imagine they'd remove that from the game. it needs to be in place for battles against other players anyway, so why not keep it in there for AI battles?

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope they are easy too, (mainly because I do too many Pokémon challenges and I hate myself for it now). But the difficulty of the last few Pokémon games I've done challenges in and now I’m just tired of grinding. So I agree that I hope they are easier.

I just discovered this and i hope it's fake if it's being removed. Me and other people ask for difficulty options and they go even futher of stripping any remaining ounce of difficulty.

Yeah, i know, most people play with Switch, but like the Exp. Share it should be an option and not something forced upon the player. And no, pressing the B button to say no is not the same thing of just not showing up at all. I don't wanna be spoiled by the next pokemon being sent out.

A few years ago I would say this: I would be impressed if the game wasn't easy, as, more and more, with each release, that seems to be the intention of Game Freak. However, certainly the latest releases, BDSP and Legend Arceus, are more difficult than the average game in this franchise.

I, personally, hope that this game follows the same difficulty line as the last two, but I think it shall be easier (see the school plot). Anyway, I would like the game to have different difficulty options.

Last edited:
Reviving the thread now that the games are out, but now I shall repurpose it: Did you guys find the games easier or harder than expected, and are you glad about such?

Reviving the thread now that the games are out, but now I shall repurpose it: Did you guys find the games easier or harder than expected, and are you glad about such?
I found the games harder than expected. I went through blind and beat the gyms out of order and for everything else I was really under level.

They were harder than I expected too. Many battles like the star bosses took me multiple attempts. The gym leaders also have good tera types for their aces (especially Larry, Iono, Kofu and Grusha). The opponents levels were pretty high for the most part. Although I did rotate my teams (so was underlevelled), not use items and not switch during battles this time

I think they are way too easy. I played the first two generations and you had to fight and riddle through many dungeons and buildings, having multiple fights without many healing opportunities, you actually had to fight against multiple difficult trainers to go through some building. Instead of having so many Team Star camps where you blindly spam "R" and then one fight, you could have made two camps where you actually had to maybe find some specific items (keycards or similar), and by doing so you had to fight several members to progress further and such.

A little more difficult than expected, especially in the beginning and if you venture out without following a guide. But once you have a team formed and Pokémons evolved, it's not much different from standard difficulty.

Iona, with whom I won my second badge, and Mela, the first boss of team Star I faced, were the hardest battles I had. I even lost to Iona once.

However, Giacomo, who is the weakest of the Star team bosses, and Katy, the "starter gym" leader, were one of the last challenges I faced. Such battles were therefore ridiculous.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom