• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone here who actually hopes the upcomming games are going to be easy?

I really want Scarlet and Violet to be hard. Pokémon Legends Arceus was more fun for me because eventually the battles get hard. It wasn’t too hard, (of course I still beat Volo) but I want that difficulty level that you actually have to try more than once on one battle and use strategy. PLA was a Pokémon game that you can DIE. Honestly Volo was the only battle I had to try multiple times, I want all the battles to be like that

I really want Scarlet and Violet to be hard. Pokémon Legends Arceus was more fun for me because eventually the battles get hard. It wasn’t too hard, (of course I still beat Volo) but I want that difficulty level that you actually have to try more than once on one battle and use strategy. PLA was a Pokémon game that you can DIE. Honestly Volo was the only battle I had to try multiple times, I want all the battles to be like that
I'm honestly suprised this managed to seep through given how braindead easy Sword and Shield is. People to this day still talk about Whitney, Tate & Liza and any of the other infamous Gym Leader battles because their difficulty made an actual impression and that allowed people to actually remember them. Unlike games like XY which i hardly remember any of the Gym Leaders and Elite Four members because the entire game was too easy (and i was playing on Set, no Mega Evolution and no Exp Share), so they barely left any impression.

Last edited:
I'm honestly suprised this managed to seep through given how braindead easy Sword and Shield is. People to this day still talk about Whitney, Tate & Liza and any of the other infamous Gym Leader battles because their difficulty made an actual impression and that allowed people to actually remember them. Unlike games like XY which i hardly remember any of the Gym Leaders and Elite Four members because the entire game was too easy (and i was playing on Set, no Mega Evolution and no the Exp Share), so they barely left any impression.
I didn’t need to try multiple times with any gym leader in sword, they could have at least made the levels higher for gyms. Bring back the Whitney level gym trainers

If team wide exp share is still a thing this gen, then yeah most likely going to be a cake walk. Crazy how game freak refuses to add different levels of difficulty like they did in B/W2.
Will be using only 4 pokemon to give myself some challenge, also would love to know what your guy's extra challenge methods are too!

If team wide exp share is still a thing this gen, then yeah most likely going to be a cake walk. Crazy how game freak refuses to add different levels of difficulty like they did in B/W2.
Will be using only 4 pokemon to give myself some challenge, also would love to know what your guy's extra challenge methods are too!
Mono type runs

I hope the game is easy in terms of TRAVEL related to the 3 stories. I just posted in another thread that I hope there is some sort of optional feature to track our progress across the 3 stories of the game and let us know when we are near important story beats. Ya'll's girl ain't going through every nook and cranny of Paldea, and I've already mentioned how I do not want to have to backtrack in this massive region. I don't want to be near a location that has an important story moment, but because I have no clue its there I just go straight past it and am left having to BACKTRACK.

And since this is their first run with open world, I'm already expecting it won't be the best. But PLEASE don't make it a nightmare to do all the 3 stories. I would like some system that allows us to see how far we've gotten in each story or where important locations will be.

I hope the game is easy in terms of TRAVEL related to the 3 stories. I just posted in another thread that I hope there is some sort of optional feature to track our progress across the 3 stories of the game and let us know when we are near important story beats. Ya'll's girl ain't going through every nook and cranny of Paldea, and I've already mentioned how I do not want to have to backtrack in this massive region. I don't want to be near a location that has an important story moment, but because I have no clue its there I just go straight past it and am left having to BACKTRACK.

And since this is their first run with open world, I'm already expecting it won't be the best. But PLEASE don't make it a nightmare to do all the 3 stories. I would like some system that allows us to see how far we've gotten in each story or where important locations will be.
You know, I could actually see there being either treasure map-like markers or very easy hints in relation to each story given both the target demographic and the overall adventure theme Paldea has going on. I’m pretty sure treasure maps are a staple of exploration stories, especially in children-centric media.

Plus the aesthetic is just plain fun!

You know, I could actually see there being either treasure map-like markers or very easy hints in relation to each story given both the target demographic and the overall adventure theme Paldea has going on. I’m pretty sure treasure maps are a staple of exploration stories, especially in children-centric media.

A treasure map would be great :bulbaWave:

Sea of Thieves has the best Treasure-map mechanic - Change my mind.

One fear I have is that since it's Pokemon's first real open game, GF will have a hard time making it so that if we explore a lot, we don't get too overleved, because I'm going to really take my time exploring and catching every new pokemon I see, so I'm worried I'll get overleveled.

One fear I have is that since it's Pokemon's first real open game, GF will have a hard time making it so that if we explore a lot, we don't get too overleved, because I'm going to really take my time exploring and catching every new pokemon I see, so I'm worried I'll get overleveled.
It's not the best solution but if you're just exploring and not doing story you could theoretically put your main team in the box If they start to get overleveled and take them out once you do more story.
I for one will continue to do my darndest to avoid as many trainer and wild battles as I can so I will probably be able to explore without getting too overleveled.

When it comes to difficulty, I like a balance. I don't like having a victory handed to me, but at the same time I don't want to get my teeth kicked in. I have Bloodborne for that. :p

I never really have trouble though. As long as I know what type of pokemon I'll be facing I will usually swap out members of my team so I have at least 3 or 4 pokemon that will do well in the gym. And I'll have usually leveled them to be around the level of the leader's strongest pokemon (or I just wing it when I don't know the exact numbers- usally the next 5 or 10 level integer). If my pokemon is underleveled and I can still beat the gym without breaking a sweat, its too easy. If I can't go through the game with 'there is no kill like overkill' without being grossly overleveled, the difficulty is too high. Again, I have bloodborne for that. Freaking Father Gascoigne. Gotta level grind stupid fierce to be able to handle him while compensating for my terrible gamer skillz.

If that makes sense. It probably doesn't I've had 4 hours of sleep at best. I'mma go back to sleep.

I think Legends Arceus was a good indicator of challenging but they worked on a totally different battle system (somehow a Lvl 2 Buizel doesn't get OHKO'd by a level 30+ neutral attack). The Volo fight was hard but in a healthy way that if you properly took your time to train and prepare, you could beat it instead of bruteforcing like you can do most bosses.

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be that difficulty level. GameFreak's teambuilding is simply just not good and the AI is questionable too. While in the past they also repeatedly made it no secret a lot of what they do is because of kid's supposed 'low attention span' and 'quick give up attitude' (which I don't agree with but what do you do), I'm prepared for just another game where you can speedrun the Gyms, Champion and whatever the endboss and villainous team leader are.

Personally, I also don't really care or want to anymore? Battling is part of the game but I get my needs out of other stuff in the Pokémon games, like the actual Pokémon, characters, the world(building) and the story bits. Battling is just more of a means to get there so I don't mind if I can blast through it, but sometimes that challenge to immerse yourself a bit more in a pinch situation would add to the experience.

I think Legends Arceus was a good indicator of challenging but they worked on a totally different battle system (somehow a Lvl 2 Buizel doesn't get OHKO'd by a level 30+ neutral attack). The Volo fight was hard but in a healthy way that if you properly took your time to train and prepare, you could beat it instead of bruteforcing like you can do most bosses.

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll be that difficulty level. GameFreak's teambuilding is simply just not good and the AI is questionable too. While in the past they also repeatedly made it no secret a lot of what they do is because of kid's supposed 'low attention span' and 'quick give up attitude' (which I don't agree with but what do you do), I'm prepared for just another game where you can speedrun the Gyms, Champion and whatever the endboss and villainous team leader are.

Personally, I also don't really care or want to anymore? Battling is part of the game but I get my needs out of other stuff in the Pokémon games, like the actual Pokémon, characters, the world(building) and the story bits. Battling is just more of a means to get there so I don't mind if I can blast through it, but sometimes that challenge to immerse yourself a bit more in a pinch situation would add to the experience.
Battling is definitely NOT the means to just get there; It's the core-mechanic of the game, coupled with catching.

Sw/Sh's post-game, even with DLC enabled, was lacklustre because it lacked a way to battle more. Even the Battle Tower wasn't updated after the release of the DLC content.

I needs a post game battling challenge that lets me use the pokemon and moves I want to use and not have to do crazy genetic breeding nonsense for moves, natures, abilities, and junk.

And the ability to use a full party. I hate limiting the amount of pokemon I can use. I also hate the cheaty AI that somehow always manages to be built to stomp the mons you are allowed to use into a fine paste.

"Here comes the challenger guys! Here's her team! You lot go find a competitive team that will make her hate a continued existence!"

motions to the entire rest of the game You got it right over here! Just give me more of that! Is it that hard??

I needs a post game battling challenge that lets me use the pokemon and moves I want to use and not have to do crazy genetic breeding nonsense for moves, natures, abilities, and junk.
this is supposed to be a grind. the game shouldn't just give you stuff for free. if you want to build a good team, put in the work.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom