• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone here who actually hopes the upcomming games are going to be easy?

I imagine it would start off easy-peasy at the very beginning, but by the time I reach the Champion it'll be rough-and-tumble.
One little difficulty-spike in terms of a Champion-/Necrozma-like battle hardly suffices as 'difficult'/challenging for the game overall.

Considering it's coming from a leak, I don't think battle tower is going to be removed per se. Even if it is, it'll likely be replaced with something similar and/or improved.

Removal of the Battle Tower would be genuinely hilarious to me. Removing the last vestige of actual challenging content from the series which seems to be Gamefreak's long term plan at this point.
There are fortunately more than one interpretations of this part of the leak, so it could still very well be there.

But, yeah, as if it isn't downsized enough already, if it actually turns out to be true. I mean, the Frontier is already gone, and the co-op mode (fighting together with a friend in doubles) was also deleted from the main series. The Battle Tower rosters weren't even updated after the DLC came out.

and the co-op mode (fighting together with a friend in doubles) was also deleted from the main series.
And Triple Battles and Rotation Battles. And making it much worse in Sword and Shield by making gaining BP much slower and this was after XY did some great changes to the Battle Tower by not forcing the player to win 7 battles to gain BP and gaining more and more BP the further you go.

Which you could already do in previous games but those games still had terrible difficulty curves the second you fought every trainer.

Having to min-max experience gain to avoid overleveling is about as bad as needing to grind to progress.

I find it weird that the thread about someone wanting the game to be easy turned to a thread about people talking about the games not being hard enough.
Anyways because I dont belive I have talked here yet, I just dont want another Ultra Necrozma/Volo situation. I don't play pokemon games to get my entire team wiped out 20 times in a row. Sucks out joy.

I find it weird that the thread about someone wanting the game to be easy turned to a thread about people talking about the games not being hard enough.
Anyways because I dont belive I have talked here yet, I just dont want another Ultra Necrozma/Volo situation. I don't play pokemon games to get my entire team wiped out 20 times in a row. Sucks out joy.
I think there's a happy medium.

Most would say the games are too easy because you get over-leveled by stuff like the forced exp. share. There are workarounds, but it still feels unnecessarily easy.

Then there are parts like you mentioned, where the game makes it harder in a stupid way. Like Ultra Necrozma. High level, omni-boost to stats, and ridiculously overpowered signature move. This is frustrating because you can't prepare for this aside from grind the hell out of your pokemon, which conflicts with the previous kind.

I think there have been a few games that do difficulty really well. These typically (for me at least) are fights that you go through once or twice before realizing there's a trick or a way to overcome them. It comes down to strategy. The best and most challenging fights in Pokemon are against trainers that use some kind of strategy. The two that stick out to me are very obvious. First I can think of is Elesa. She makes excellent use of volt switch and her ground-immune Emolga to chip away at you. Was the fight hard once I figured that out? No, not so much. But it sure gave me a run for my money when I first got there. Another one that sticks in my brain is Dakim from Colosseum. Being a double battle made it easier to spam a strategy, but all of his Pokemon trade back and forth between earthquake and protect. This initially poses a threat but can easily be worked around when you figure out whose turn it is to EQ and whose to protect. Additional challenge added when you realize his shadow Entei does NOT have protect, and he will kill it.

So yeah, I can see where OP is coming from saying they want games to be easier, some of the fights are brutal but for the wrong reasons. I still feel the games overall are too easy, but those few fights that they try to make "hard" are just done in a raw/unfair way, with no opportunity to learn and prepare and come back to overcome it.

How is it weird? :wynaut: It's related. Well, joy is subjective, and I can totally understand and respect you not liking those kind of battles. At the same time, no need to get into details, but personally I found the battle against Volo to be one of high points of PLA, I really like battles like that myself, although I don't find Necrozma battle to be one. This is why difficulty settings options is one of the things I would like GF to conceive the most. I think it's not fair to cater to either side over the other when there's just such a simple option that could better please both. It's probably one of the features I'm looking forward the most to return.

i prefer if the important story battles are tough but fair. Necrozma and Volo were not fair; these enemies don't play by the same rules as the player. Necrozma got a free omniboost allowing it to power through everything with ease, and Volo essentially got to use 8 pokemon against your 6, 2 of which were even legendary.

i prefer something like Steven in RS or Cynthia in the sinnoh games where the fight is difficult but it tests you on the skills you've been developing throughout your journey rather than throwing some bullshit at you that's nothing like the rest of the game.

as for difficulty settings, we used to have that in the form of the EXP share. leave it on if you want to cruise through everything, or turn it off if you want to have to work for your victories.

Honestly, I don't see how difficulty settings will change anything. Yeah, increasing levels would mean the Pokémon would be stronger, but I have a feeling that there are people would just over level their Pokémon anyway.

but I have a feeling that there are people would just over level their Pokémon anyway.
And people that do this are the ones that don't care for challenge in their games to begin with because you overlevel precisely to avoid challenge. If you pick harder difficulties, only to overlevel yourself, the entire point of harder difficulties is lost.

And people that do this are the ones that don't care for challenge in their games to begin with because you overlevel precisely to avoid challenge. If you pick harder difficulties, only to overlevel yourself, the entire point of harder difficulties is lost.
My point exactly. Why have them when there are people who will just over level anyway? It works in games that's don't have level systems (like say a beat em up or a platformer) because there is no way to get stronger other than the items and weapons that the game provides.

Why have them when there are people who will just over level anyway?
Those aren't the only people playing your games. People who pick harder difficulties pick them precisely for more challenge and that means avoiding overleveling through excessive grinding.

If i was adding hard difficulties i would just put a level cap based on badges. That would mean you would never get overleveled.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom