• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anyone interested in making a video game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akamadoushi

Red Mage
Reaction score
It's not entirely insane for a group of people to meet on a forum, produce an rough draft of a video game, and get it published by a recognized entity in the gaming world. Just look at FF: Crystal Chronicles.

I've been working on a detailed design document for a monster-catching game (vaguely resembles Pokémon in concept but has a completely different setting and is significantly darker in tone), I do this in my spare time for fun. I did fantasize about getting it picked up by a developer, but it's nearly impossible to get someone to look at a design document alone.

Then, a different thought crossed my mind. What if I pulled a CC? If we could assemble a team and develop a playable draft of the game, we could get it published (I know of several labels that accept video games but only in playable drafts, not in writing). Or we could go the other way, and make a cross-platform computer game to distribute freely.

I have writing talent and a good idea, I'm working my way thought a detailed design document as you read this. I could potentially get concept art from some friends of mine, but unfortunately that will be an uphill battle if this isn't something we're going to make money on because most of my friends are professional artists. I'm going to need programmers, animators, coders, etc. I don't want to release too many details publicly before we decide what we're going to do (once a team is assembled and work begins, we can decide on whether to distribute it freely or try and get it published by a major developer). You can send me a PM, but I prefer to be contacted by AIM (IoliteObsidian). If you're interested, hit me up and we'll talk details!

I could help with concept art for the "Monsters", even though my drawing skills are just decent.

Hmm, I have experience in programming, but not good enough to actually write those damn-complicated physics engines.

I could help you with the art~ I'd be happy to... xD

I could help with concept art for the "Monsters", even though my drawing skills are just decent.

Heh heh...more than I can say about my drawing skills :)

Hmm, I have experience in programming, but not good enough to actually write those damn-complicated physics engines.

I don't know if this would need an actual physics engine, I envision it more along the lines of classic walk-and-battle RPGs like Final Fantasy 1-10 or Brave Story.

I could help you with the art~ I'd be happy to... xD

Any help would be greatly appreciated ^_^

If you need someone as a story-editor or something like that, I'm game. Like for grammar, or someone to bounce ideas off of. I would offer for concept art, but I'm not that great in drawing out what's in my head.

If you need someone as a story-editor or something like that, I'm game. Like for grammar, or someone to bounce ideas off of. I would offer for concept art, but I'm not that great in drawing out what's in my head.

Hm...it's not that I don't appreciate the offer, it's just that I already have about a dozen people for that.

I know you already have a few offers for artwork, but I'd like to help.

I could do rough drafts of monsters and stuff. Seriously. Rough-draft.

The point of concept art is just to get the basic idea across. Since my own artwork fails at that I'm not really one to complain if yours can ;-) PM or AIM me and we'll talk in detail.

I know you already have a few offers for artwork, but I'd like to help.

More help never hurts, more artists means less work for the artists involved. PM or AIM me and I'll give a little more info on the idea.

Update: I started a wiki with some information on the project, I'll post little by little as I get free time to do so. If you'd like to be added to the list of contributors, send me a message here on the forum or via AIM (IoliteObsidian) to confirm your interest.

http://haven.wikidot.com/

I could help with concept art of human characters and some basic spriting if I can get some templates. I can't promise good art, just something to work off of.

I'm really good with Creative design, not so much art or programming. Can't do really detailed concept art, just getting to grips with 3D, can't do programming, but as for ideas? Absolutely amazing.

Anyway I can help. My drawing is mediocre, and my writing sucks, but I'm free for work.

Ehh...no thanks.

But I did write a manual a few years ago for a fake video game featuring Britney Spears as the player character. It was really funny: among the features the manual described were a stripper pole mini-game and unlockable costumes (including the Baby One More Time schoolgirl outfit and another with Britney's shaved head).

Sorry I haven't been around for a while everyone, real life has been creeping up. I started a user group for anyone interested in the project. Whether you want to help out or you just want to see how it's coming along, anyone can join!

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/group.php?groupid=903

Ehh...no thanks.

But I did write a manual a few years ago for a fake video game featuring Britney Spears as the player character. It was really funny: among the features the manual described were a stripper pole mini-game and unlockable costumes (including the Baby One More Time schoolgirl outfit and another with Britney's shaved head).

That's pretty funny XD

Are you thinking of building an engine from scratch, or using an existing one? Something like RPG Maker, Game Maker, IG Maker, etc.?

Are you thinking of building an engine from scratch, or using an existing one? Something like RPG Maker, Game Maker, IG Maker, etc.?

I think an original engine would allow more freedom, something like RPG Maker might be too constraining.

Heh :p If I had been here a few years earlier, I would definitely said yes. I've been using Game Maker since 2006, and I have basic skills in C++. Actually, I'm one of the administrators on the only Finnish Game Maker forum.

The current situation is though as follows: I start a project, I plan it carefully on a notebook, but I lack the interest to program the game itself. I could try to help with the idea side of this project you're talking about, though.

With GM, many kinds of game engines can be made. However, you can't currently achieve the cross-platform compatibility with it, so it would not be a good choice for the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom