• Snowy challenges a fellow Firebrand. Watch here as he competes for his third Gym Badge.

Anywhere and Else *Me (Thestarjar) and That Guy*

lost in the sauce
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
0
"Thanks, I also prefer all of you out of jail than in it," Theida said, and on a split-second, possibly regrettable decision, decided not to show any more commitment than that. "How's that soup work, anyway? Do you have to wrestle people into drinking it, or...?"
 
thea ante hominēs
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
28,208
Reaction score
1
"Depends on the kind. Some of 'em, you drink; some can be applied topically, if they're thick enough... and some can just flat-out combust." He chuckled, withdrawing his stirring-arm with a flourish. "This one just vaporises, though, so, uh... try not to breathe it in. It doesn't spread too far, once it's been set off, but still."
 
lost in the sauce
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
0
Theida leans back a little, as though worried it might start permeating the air right here and now. "Good to know...."

"W-Won't happen until it's out of the container," Spindle tells her. "S-Speaking of which--Hother. Are you ve-very mobile, with that magic going? We m--we might be able to find something else to put it in, in the building, i-if there's an excess after the first use. But with Sweetgum, you'll likely need to--well, to apply it yourself."
 
thea ante hominēs
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
28,208
Reaction score
1
The dog offered a determined nod.
"The less it's carrying, the easier it is... as you could probably guess. ...And I can just about handle it at the moment, so... I'll be fine."
 
lost in the sauce
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
0
"Good, because--"

A single knock on the door is, again, the only warning before it opens. "Alright, I have to--What." Sweetgum's eyes sweep through the room. "What the hell!" Seeing Hother's wand outstretched and emanating foreign magic, she takes a wide stride towards him, ready to tackle.
 
thea ante hominēs
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
28,208
Reaction score
1
Hother barked his alarm at the sudden interruption, only realising after the fact that his reflex to jerk the wand aside, flinging the magical mixture towards his would-be assailant, was also entirely the correct and planned course of action. Nevertheless, he found himself still standing, still holding out his wand, and now trembling, his tail flicking anxiously back and forth, as the aftermath of that single moment washed over the room.
 
lost in the sauce
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
0
A splatter of the potion hits Sweetgum square in the chest, startling her enough to break her charge. Within moments, the liquid bursts into smoke-like vapor, which billows upwards around her head and dissipates soon afterwards. It leaves a muted stain.

In the midst of it all, she gasps, and that's plenty. Her forward momentum already has her off-balance, and she drops to her knees, blinking heavily. "What... What did y... Why?" It's all she has time to say before she collapses entirely.

Spindle stares a moment, wide-eyed, as though worried she might pop back up. She doesn't. "W-Well! That's, uh, potent!"
 
thea ante hominēs
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
28,208
Reaction score
1
Bristlecone shrugged, already high from the raw audacity of how far they had gone with this plan. If they had had any chance of being found innocent after all, those chances had since evaporated as readily as the sleeping-gas potion.
"Hey, they gave us dawnspite to do with as we pleased. It's not our fault their expectations of us were completely wrong."
 
lost in the sauce
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
0
Theida raked her claws over each of her circles, making them each completely indistinguishable before sweeping at them with her tail. She managed to even them out into rough patches of ground, which were noticeable against the smoother dirt floor, but no longer distinguishable as any form of writing. "Okay, so the guard's down. Can we get going before someone else notices?" Nerves were making her agitated.

"I-If we go through the back, maybe we could--um, w-we should be able to reach Larch's place from back there. Or--Or at the least, provide you two with means of escape." Spindle looked at Bristlecone for confirmation.
 
thea ante hominēs
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
28,208
Reaction score
1
The alligator simply nodded, and motioned for the group to proceed, setting a brisk pace-- no challenge at all for one of his stature.

Hother almost inhaled to speak, but found himself following in obedient silence instead, his tail twitching back and forth at very much the same hasty speed. He considered attempting to foster some optimism amongst his fellow fugitives through the observation that, with Bristlecone leading, not only did they have a fair shadow to hide in, so to speak, but he would also make for a sturdy first line of defence, should things take a turn for the aggressive-- but even through the processing of that stream of thought, he concluded that staying silent would probably behove their cause more, at the risk of attracting exactly the kind of worst-case scenario he had already started imagining.
 
lost in the sauce
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
0
Theida follows with similar quiet, wings folded tightly against her back. Her tail is lifted slightly up so it doesn't make sound dragging against the earth, and her every step is carefully placed. Although, with little experience in the environment, she isn't perfect at avoiding sounds as she brushes against plant life.

When the brush gets thicker, Spindle starts glancing down every other moment, clearly worried about the sound he's producing. He edges up behind Bristlecone and taps on his arm as a signal of sorts. Then he leaps up onto the alligator's back, clinging easily to his shoulders.
 
thea ante hominēs
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
28,208
Reaction score
1
Hother couldn't quite see it from this angle, but he held a quiet confidence that he had seen a soft smile blossom on Bristlecone's countenance, almost directly spiting the gravity of their situation. The dog inclined his head slightly as he processed the thoughts it brought him.
Everyone should have a chance to find a relationship like theirs. That reptilian smile was infectious, it seemed. ...I want someone who can hold me like that...but I'd want to return the favour, too.

The entire spiral of thoughts brought him some facsimile of peace, despite the tension of their journey.
 
lost in the sauce
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
0
As jumpy as Theida was about every little movement she thought she caught in the corner of her eye, nothing came to attack them before they reached their first destination. Being that they were behind the structure, it took her until they went inside to properly recognize it: they were back at Bristlecone and Spindle's home.

Spindle hopped down from Bristlecone's back. He faced Hother and Theida with the barest whisper. "Any supplies you think you'll need, take them. All right?"

And before any objections could be presented, he started moving around the small dwelling, visibly shaky but clearly determined. He got a bag that looked to be his own down from by the door, and then moved towards the dining area. Before putting anything else into the bag, he stopped in front of the engraved slab of wood on the wall. He put a hand on it, made a move to start unhooking it, and then... looked over at Bristlecone, eyes wide and worried and full of a very clear question.
 
thea ante hominēs
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
28,208
Reaction score
1
Wearing a look of melancholy solemnity, the alligator nodded in silence, offering a hand to assist in the unhooking.

Hother, meanwhile, had missed this entire exchange, busying himself instead with looking for his bindle of supplies that he had brought from home. He reasoned that, at worst, if it had been confiscated during the raid that morning, at least he still had his wand; but to travel for less than a day and to have lost everything else so soon...

His ears flattened in discomfort. At first, he thought that was just his neurotic nature, pre-emptively castigating himself for such a flippant waste of resources and sentiment; but his hackles rose as a boiling chill ran through him. This was more than unease; more than dread; this deep, deep anxiety ran deeper still than his already-swarming emotions towards the current situation. Something was-- and he didn't even need to turn to confirm it-- very, lung-chokingly, head-crushingly, pulse-racingly wrong.
 
lost in the sauce
Joined
Jan 9, 2012
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
0
Beyond any shadow of a doubt, or any glimmer of hope trapped in its wake, he was right.

"And here I thought this could all be dealt with by due process," a voice came from the front entrance. Its slow, perfectly calm cadence sent ice into Theida's veins. "I don't suppose there's any way I could persuade you to get back to it, before things turn sour."

Larch closed the door behind him, and held up a glass vial full of some orange-ish liquid, so that they could all see it. And then he poured it over the top of his makeshift cane, letting it seep into the jagged end of the broken branch. It didn't look particularly sharp, but a good hit would definitely give the target a dose of... whatever that potion was.
 
thea ante hominēs
Joined
Sep 22, 2010
Messages
28,208
Reaction score
1
"'Due process'?!" Bristlecone could barely contain a snarl in his tone, his incensed state grappling with his loath to appear belligerent in front of his husband or guests. Still, he took a defensive stance, stepping forth and spreading his arms, as if to act as a live shield for the others. "I don't know what in the name of nature's bounty has gotten into you, Larch, but this has gone too far! Leave us and our guests alone...and get out of our house!"
 
Top