• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

RP Everyone Anywhere and Else *Me (Thestarjar) and That Guy*

thestarjar

lost in the sauce
Reaction score
Theida had left her home village early in the morning. The mountains had been getting distinctly smaller as she went. In fact, at this point, it might as well be flat land- she'd never seen mountains this tiny. She was getting awfully worried. She'd be in so much trouble when she got back- if she got back. It was late afternoon at this point. If she tried to head back now, it would be dark before she reached home, and she'd never get anywhere in the dark.

Sounds up ahead distracted her from her thoughts. It sounded like... people. People! Theida crept up onto a hill, masked by nothing but small size, and stared at the buildings just ahead. From what she could make out, there was nothing recognizable. The things that were talking didn't look like anything she'd ever seen before. With nothing else to be done, she began to walk down towards the town, worries keeping her low to the ground.

Hother raised a paw in protest, but he knew trying to take the discussion any further was utterly futile, especially with someone like his grandfather. Through a combination of the values the elder Collie had been raised on; the stereotype of older generations having tenacious attachments to their political leanings; and the plain old fact that he was responsible for determining if Hother would even have a job to come back to tomorrow, the younger conceded defeat, bowing his head for a moment, hoping that would be enough to convey submission, for the time being.

His grandfather gave a half-nod of stern approbation.
"Right. Now that you've got all those questions out of your system--" There was some level of contempt in how he emphasised the word. "--be a good boy and get on home. You're no good to me here if you're not well-rested."
"Yes, Grandpa..." Hother replied, with resignation, but obediently all the same, doing his best to suppress the urge to roll his eyes. The elder reverse-nodded, jutting his chin out to gesture generally away from where he stood.
"Go on, then. Get."
With no further orders to issue, he turned on the spot and left Hother to his own devices, which, for now, consisted of-- as usual-- doing as he was told, turning to face the direction his grandfather had indicated, and, with little enthusiasm to keep his head raised, begin to set off homewards for himself.

He had anticipated nothing outshining the bland interest of the rhythm of his pace as he walked, but he discovered, fairly presently, that, for once, and for better or for worse, this was not to be the case. Something had caught his eye, slowing him to a stop almost as quickly as he had taken up moving in the first instance. Given its size, he didn't have to raise his head too far to notice, though the temptation was too much not to look more intently, and incline his head. Whatever it was, it was unusual, and unknown to him, which-- again, for better or worse-- made for something of a refreshing change of circumstances. His tail flicked cautiously, not quite ready to commit to proper excitement just yet, in case the Thing was dangerous after all.

Last edited:
She'd been noticed. Oh no. Theida straightened her legs and stared stiffly at whatever was looking at her. Her feathers pricked, but she resisted the urge to run away- she could always escape by air, since this thing didn't seem to have any means of flight. She might as well make an attempt to reason with it, since she'd heard voices coming from similar creatures. She opened her mouth, and out came the pinnacle of civilized speech.

"What the heck are you?" Okay, well, not exactly the best way to start a conversation, but it certainly got the point across.

Hother restrained a modest bark of surprise. The Thing could talk. The Thing was sapient. His tail flicked a little faster.
"I..." Words failed. Reason failed. Why was he expected to explain himself to this curious creature? A flash of indignation saw him re-evaluate his approach. "...First of all, what are you, since I'm guessing you're not some weird new kind of sheep?"

So it really did talk. The tail movement seemed like a sign of aggression, and it unnerved her, but at least the tall creature wasn't attacking or anything. Just refusing to answer her albeit rudely asked question. Couldn't back down from her tone now, though.
"Um, no? What's a sheep? I'm a griffin, my name is Theida, and again, what the heck are you?"

Sassy, defensive, and...griffin? Hother's head inclined the other way, trying to process this new word, coupled with the notion that this "Theida" somehow didn't know about the two species of lifekind that formed society. Well, if it-- she, he reprimanded himself, if the part of his consciousness claiming the moral high ground wasn't mistaken-- truly had all these questions, and was only this kind of hostile, perhaps she was just lost...although from where, he simply couldn't fathom.
"Well...I'm not a sheep, so I must be a dog..?" His rising intonation wasn't born of an intent to patronise; more that he still found it so odd that this could be foreign to someone. Is it not like this everywhere, or something? Strangest of all, perhaps, was that she wasn't familiar with the species, and yet she could talk, and the concept of a name wasn't lost on her. Which reminded him-- "And, Hother...is my name."

"I don't know what a dog is either." Theida paused, then revised the statement. "Other than you, I guess."
The thing- he- the dog? seemed friendlier now. Her feathers flattened again, and she looked around. This place was so strange, now that she could focus on it without fear. What she could only assume were buildings were sprouting out of the ground instead of built into mountainsides- not that they had much mountain here to work with. "Okay. Hother. How's there even a town way out here? Everyone knows you can't survive outside the mountains-" she gestured towards the mound she'd just come down from- "and that barely qualifies."

"How does that make sense? This town has been here for ages-- generations, even." He pondered this new information. "...So where did you come from, then? I thought this town was the closest civilisation got to the mountains."

If anything, it was a relief to know she was probably not going to die, if these 'dogs' (and sheep?) had lived out here for so long. Still, it was strange that he didn't know anything about what was up in the mountains.
"The mountains, obviously. The real ones. Where all the griffins are." Theida used a wing to point at the high mountains behind her as she spoke.

"There's more of you?" No sooner than the words had left his mouth did Hother realise what a stupid question that was. "Then...why have I never heard of these..."griffins"? I've never even heard the name before."

"I don't know, why haven't I ever heard of a dog? It's probably because you live out here in the middle of..." It wasn't quite nowhere. "...somewhere. Yeah. Instead of the mountains."

"Fair point, I suppose..." He finally re-aligned his head, tail still absently twitching every few moments. "So my people have never gone into the mountains, and your people have never come out. Then why are you here?"

She stared fiercely at the ground, remembering again how much trouble she'd probably be in when she got back. "I... I wanted to explore. Maybe find some more inhabitable mountains, so the kingdom could get bigger. Nobody ever goes anywhere!"

Hother looked away for a moment, himself, surprising himself by just how much he could relate to the frustrated undertones of her actions.
"I'd hate to disappoint, but that's true here, too. Nobody goes anywhere, and nothing ever changes. It's...just not right."

"I mean... nobody thinks anyone else is out there... but I'm "out there!" And I found this! Why doesn't anyone ever try?" Theida's tail flicked with annoyance, then fascination. "It's crazy enough that there's more than one civilization. Maybe there are more..."

The impossibility of the idea captured Hother's imagination, his tail picking up speed. There could be more than just these two little worlds, completely unaware of each other..! And even if it was just his and Theida's, that was still twice the world he had ever known. Perhaps these other, unpromised lands offered new ways of life, at that; societies he could show to his grandfather and his peers with equal parts excitement and a smug, "I told you so" mentality, that things didn't "have" to be the way they were here. And yet...it was still a gamble, wasn't it? Who was to say that there was a bigger world out there? Who was to say it would welcome him on sight? These thoughts thrilled him as much as they scared him.

It occurred to him, at this point, that he had stagnated into staring into space as his mind ran away with him. He blinked a few times, re-adjusting his eyes to seeing reality, rather than the flights of fantasy his imagination had conjured up.
"Then...should anyone be allowed to find out that you're here? The people here are divided enough as it is. If they found out that there was a third species that could reason-- and one that's not even from around here, at that-- who knows what could happen? Never mind what would happen once they realise that there is more world beyond our borders..."

Theida watched him phase into contemplation of the idea, shifting back and forth on her feet until he spoke again. "Um... you know this place better than me. What do you think they'd do? 'Cause if everyone starts going crazy or attacking me, I'll just leave and find someplace else." The last part was said with some hesitation. She didn't know how willing she really was to keep going further from home by herself. Not that home wasn't becoming a decreasingly likely option to return to.

"I...don't know. I think it would be safer to keep you hidden for now, if you plan on staying here."
His ears danced a little, then his head followed suit, looking around, left, right, then left again. They seemed alone enough for the moment, as far as his senses would tell him.

"Yeah, makes sense." Theida frowned and followed his example, looking around. "But I don't see the point of sticking around long and being in hiding."

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom