• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

APNG is dumb

...maybe it should be made an user choice, by using a cookie to save settings? Is that even possible?

It could probably be possible for users with accounts, but unregistered readers wouldn't be able to. It would just be an account setting (or I would think).

Oh, and 1 question about ImageMagick resizing: can we make it so that it uses nearest neighbour/point filtering for resizing the sprites? Can I take a look at the results if possible? Maybe bilinear/bicubic just doesn't cut it for sprites.

Do we have roundy corners detection? I know we have APNG detection, but I didn't know it worked for roundycorners.

Too much of a pain to implement - a lot of the roundycorners work by enveloping the cell in which there is an image, such as the evolution box. Plus that's a different roundy image for every pixel-size, color, border color, and so on... It's not logical, and likewise, those without browser roundycorner support can live without, because it doesn't prevent them from accessing information. This is the same reason I don't think we should go back to 1992-style animated gifs, because dude, it's just a sprite, we're not preventing you from learning what moves Pokémon learn, their types, whatever - it's why I made the Arceus typeswitcher a gif and a png - because that's a necessary animation to show them all in order. The rest of the stuff, not so much. Especially move images - have you noticed how colorful the games are now? Change those to gifs to show motion, and you get not only a crappy resize look, but random color artifacting as the ancient-ass gif architecture tries to interpret the colors used in the game.

...maybe it should be made an user choice, by using a cookie to save settings? Is that even possible?

Archaic hates us using switchers for forme changing enough, you think he'd really support blowing the server up twice as much per user for this? And considering how websites load, it'd load up both gif and png and decide when it was finished loading which one you'd see, just hiding the other.

Not when the screenshots are not resized at all. Also, can we implement something like APNG detection? If not, oh well. But at least, maybe APNG should be made default, with a link leading to GIFs for those who cannot view the animations.

Yes, I know about colour depth reduction, but I thought, "So what?" Use per-frame CLUT whenever possible, and don't use any dithering. At least it doesn't look as nasty. (Do you want me to post an example?)

...Pick your poison. None of them are APNGs, by the way - APNGs should have perfect image quality.
I didn't use ImageMagick - I hate commandline tools. I used Photo-Paint that was installed for school use. (Both support AVI-to-GIF, but Photo-Paint doesn't do per-frame palettes well.)
Adaptive, no dither
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums...gifconversion-adaptivenodither-photopaint.gif

Adaptive, Floyd-Steinberg dither (over 2MB limit)
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums...conversion-adaptivefloyddither-photopaint.gif

Optimized, no dither
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums...ifconversion-optimizednodither-photopaint.gif

Optimized, Floyd-Steinberg dither (over 2MB limit)
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums...onversion-optimizedfloyddither-photopaint.gif[

Last edited:
Not when the screenshots are not resized at all. Also, can we implement something like APNG detection? If not, oh well.

I would recommend making just one test page with APNG detection and one animation, and then ask people what they think.

I would recommend making just one test page with APNG detection and one animation, and then ask people what they think.
More like, two different kinds of animations - sprites and move animations. We don't need semitransparencies in both cases - binary transparency is good for sprites, and no transparencies are required for move animations.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom