• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Apparently there's a really bad crash bug

Blockhead Pippi

North America's only Pippi fan
Reaction score
So I only just found this out on Twitter, but apparently Japanese players are experiencing some pretty horrendous crashes while playing. It's allegedly related to auto-saving and it wipes out data on the Switch's SD card.

I'm not sure about posting the Twitter thread about it (since there's swearing in it), but there is this streamed footage of it happening.

I figured this might be worth making a thread about as a cautionary warning and to discuss. I don't plan on getting Sword/Shield, but this is pretty concerning.

Thing is, I've also heard reports that it has also been occurring even with auto-save turned off. Definitely hope they fix it soon.
Ah, got it. The tweets I read seem to imply it’s related to SD cards, so I’d personally be fine, but I really hope it’s something that they fix soon.

I also read that it might be related to certain SD cards/knockoffs version of certain ones, though I don’t think anything is certain at this point.

I heard it only affects eshop copies.
Given how much GameFreak thinks we're still in the 90s with their trees and boasting about free camera like it hasn't been an industry standard for well over a decade, I wouldn't put it past them if this is caused by some GB era anti piracy measure designed to corrupt rewritable memory they implemented while forgetting about modern technology like the eshop and micro SD. QA sure as hell forgot the eshop version when they let this through.

Has this happened to anyone with the game installed to Switch memory?

Edit: It's happening to physical copies as well
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dwky10/some_players_are_reporting_that_a_crash_during/f7kh3z8/?context=1

Apparently it's only affecting SD cards formatted to exFAT, reformatting your SD card to FAT32 supposedly solves this.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dwky10/some_players_are_reporting_that_a_crash_during/f7kjkij/

Last edited:
So I only just found this out on Twitter, but apparently Japanese players are experiencing some pretty horrendous crashes while playing. It's allegedly related to auto-saving and it wipes out data on the Switch's SD card.

I'm not sure about posting the Twitter thread about it (since there's swearing in it), but there is this streamed footage of it happening.

I figured this might be worth making a thread about as a cautionary warning and to discuss. I don't plan on getting Sword/Shield, but this is pretty concerning.

they did a failure not making a longer test run to eliminate glitches. Hope they create a downlodable fix patch after collecting the errors.

Gamefreak and Nintento run the pokemon company too fast wanting games faster insted to give them time limists...
If they would avoid Kanto G-max and put them later into usage... then more time for testing the games...

They wanted to avoid leaks and spoilers this gen but it would have been better to give games and test them more and longer time period.

Last edited:
Reading around it sounds like it's to do with the formatting of the SD card - apparently Smash had the same problem. Sounds more like a Nintendo problem than a Pokémon problem.

Seems safest bet is to turn off autosave as that seems to be where most people are reporting the big problems.

Really? The game is already out. Has Galar not suffered enough?

Well, all I can say to this is: good luck digging your way out of the mess you've made for yourself, Game Freak. Better shape up soon, or you'll soon officially join EA in the hall of video game developer infamy.

Edit: Ok, so it wasn’t the their fault. My bad...

Last edited:
I heard that it was because of bootleg sd cards?

I didn't have the sd card issues with Smash Bros Ultimate that people were talking about. Does that mean I'm safe?

Edit: If your game is downloaded to system memory instead of an sd card would that help?

Sword and Shield got me but I managed to tame the Sword and Shield doggos!

View: https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1195341413484883969?s=20

Again, it seems to be a Switch issue rather than a Pokémon issue.

Does this happen to other games? Any idea why does it happen to SwSh specifically, if it’s a Switch issue? I find the situation really unfortunate if it isn’t the fault of the game's code though. They already jabs enough negative PR and don’t need more thrown at GameFreak if it isn’t their fault.

I'm all for criticism if it’s GameFreak's fault, but if it isn’t it just promotes the narrative that people are just looking to attack them: and I really don’t like that. Criticism when it’s fair.

It's not "bootleg" ones, it's to do with the formatting. I think older/cheaper SD card are probably more likely to get it but can be sorted by putting the card into a computer and formatting it (which will wipe the card so needs backing up first)

It's has been noted to happen on Smash Bros but it's worth knowing that it seems to be more of an issue with digital copies of games which are saved on the SD card when they are saving data etc onto the console.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom