• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Apple tries to silence owner of exploding iPod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
So apparantly, a guy's son's iPod overheated, and so he threw it away. It exploded shortly impact and flew around ten feet into the air. They wanted a refund and Apple agreed...but only if they never said anything about it ever again. Sounds like something more befitting the mafia than a multi-million dollar company that promotes their products as hip, but I shit you not. Of course, since you're reading this, the family not only refused, but was throughly disturbed and went to press with it.

And they've done this in the past, too. This wasn't an isolated incident - apparantly, iPods have a history of blowing the fuck up! Bloggers have reported it (including myself on this same story), overprotective mothers have reported it...even the Japanese Government has reported it. There were even incidents with exploding laptop lithium ion batteries. Apple has kept the incidents largely under wraps...until now.

My opinion? Shit's about to go down in the world of technology, boys and girls. So strap in, crack one open, and enjoy the show.

Check out the full article here.

Aww and I wanted to get one along with a Mac, oh well. :/

ETA:Seems like this is fake. I can wait to get the Mac and the Ipod if so.

Last edited:
Well, that's my interest in Apple products gone. I can see why Apple wouldn't want the idea of their products occasionally being explosive to get out, but surely it would be better and ultimately more profitable to, well, not make them explosive?

As much as I hate Apple, I can't help but be a little bet skeptical of this. Catching fire makes sense considering the batteries and all, but what exactly would make an ipod explode? I'd like to see more evidence, or maybe an explanation of exactly what causes this to happen.

Didn't I tell y'all that Apple was evil? ;-)

This isn't going to make me throw away my new iPod Nano anytime soon.

Lol. I can't even imagine an iPod blowing up. How strange.

Holy crap. That's just messed up. Is Apple run by terrorists now? *scoffs*

Are some of you really giving up on an iPod just because of this story? Even if it is true, it's a one in a million thing.

Just feels like an excuse to needlessly bash a company.

I wouldn't be surprised if this kid made it up, either.
Seriously, how many times have you heard of this happening? iPod's are safe.

I see you people are forgetting the point about lithium-ion batteries having a documented history of exploding. A few of them are linked on Wikipedia, including an incident where a man's pants caught fire. Search exploding ipod on Google and see what comes up, too. Quite a few news stories.

This wasn't a one-time deal, folks. Apple is refusing to comment on such incidents as well, so it really makes you wonder...

Another reason why i am never buying a apple again, they make their owners live in a demension where apple rules the world and you must NEVER buy a pc/non apple product again. Which is also why apple fanboys freaked out at the MS Laptop hunter ads.

Whoa. The fact that it might explode at any second makes my iPod so much cooler.

Aren't I glad I don't pack an iPod. Now I have three reasons why not...
1. Incredibly expensive, considering the alternatives.
2. Has way more features than necessary.
3. Explodes.

I can't wait 'till they aren't allowed on planes anymore. Materialists everywhere would be up in arms...

Acutially they now have way to little features. Look at the ipod classic (no wifi, smaler screen than main competetiors). And also the ipod shuffle (Now with NO BUTTONS! MUHAHAHAHAHA!) And now i also know why teachers at school confiscitate ipods, they will blow up.

Whatever suits ya. I'm just happy if it lets ya play music and lets ya decide what music you play. I still shop on iTunes, but I always save my downloads to disc (so I can rip them to Windows Media Player.)

Look on the bright side, Apple can make billions selling iPods to the army so that the army wont have to buy the more expensive hand grenades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom