• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Appreciating Each Generation

Well, sharing the love is nice. I'll join too. 8D

Gen I: I hate how overrated this Gen is, but it gave us Electrode and Mewtwo, so I can forgive it.

Gen II: Same as Gen I. But! Gen II also gave is Scizor and Crobat, two awesome Pokemon. It also perfected the happiness from Yellow, so now you can share love with all Pokemon!

Gen III: Major improvement! Hoenn was a beautiful region, and I was breath-taken by all the COLOR! It is a vast place, with many inspired and creative Pokemon, the best music in routes and cities, brought us Contests, better improved the EV/IV system, gave us two rivals (even if one was temporary), Battle Frontier, and you actually had a dad! It was an amazing Gen!

Gen IV: Every improvement seen in Gen III taken up to eleven! Even more Pokemon, including the handsome Darkrai! The best battle music of all time, tied with Johto. There's also the rival, who's hilarious and then becomes better and smarter. Ooh, and Platinum's intense, well-written plot was truly lovely!

Gen V: By far an outstanding generation, even if BW are just a tad behind Platinum. Animated sprites, that is astounding! 2.5D environments, and Skyarrow Bridge instantly comes to mind! An engaging, MOTHER 3-esque story, and two rivals who are both well written and developed! The charge at N's Castle with the Gym Leaders is also cool. Plus! Cute distractions like Musicals and Ferris Wheel are very fun.

Haha, this is what I think. 8D;

Gen.I-Does anything even nedds to be said.

Gen.II:
-Beautiful colors added to already great graphic style.
-Animated sprites
-Day/night exchange
-Breeding
-Johto

Gen.III:
-Great improvements in battle mechanics
-first remakes

Gen.IV:
-Introduced 3D graphics which still keep the charm of the first two generations
-GTS and Wi-fi battles

Gen.V
-Great story
-Cool legendaries after a long time
-More Wi-fi events
-Great graphic style especially in battles
-Dream world

Gen I: Never played it.

Thats right. I have never finished a Gen I game nor do I ever intend to.

Gen II: Breeding. And Typhlosion. Those are the only things I liked about that generation.

Gen III: Massive improvements over Gen II. Running Shoes, Abilities, Natures, refined EV and IV system, double battles,great music, great region with the moist varied and interesting locations ever, great Pokemon. Colosseum is supremely awesome especially badass Wes.

Gen IV: A worthy successor to Gen III. Split gave more coverage to Pokemon that desperately needed it. A great region too.

Gen V: The region looks great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, guys, this is a thread to appreciate each generation for what it offered best (and each one surely offered something better than any of the others); not to say what disappointed you. There's a thread in the B&W section on Gen V disappointments, and the posts relevant to that conversation have been moved over there:

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/showthread.php?p=3097957#post3097957

Please limit the content of posts in this thread to positive commentary on each generation.

I-well this one although everyone says has flaws I loved. I think because it set the grounds for everything. I can still remember the music to different areas
II- well I cant remember at the time what I loved about it now I think back and after HG I love the huge plot. I also liked the new evolutions
III- can't really remember guys looked cool, I loved snorunt so much
IV- Well I didn't get it right away it sort of brought back my interest in pokemon as I hadn't played for a while
V- newest and prob the first time I can think of looking forward to a new generation. So hyped about didn't even want to look at the guys so it would be a great surprise. I also love the dynamic camera

this is a great thread, for the record. I'm glad to hear some positive comments about the generations!

Meh...To be honest, there isn't a generation that I dislike.
The one I find least interesting is Hoenn, but that doesn't mean I dislike it.
Anyway...To the point.
I'm gonna make +:s from all the games I've played and not the whole genertaion thing...
There is games I haven't played, so...

Blue - Yellow
+ Here we go, the world of Pokémon
+ ...Pretty much everything...Cool game, so moving onwards

Silver - Crystal
+ Crobat & Politoed
+ More pokémons
+ Day/Night
+ Another region
+ Special transforming into S.ATK and S.DEF
+ Daycare
+ Bug catching
...Well...Other than that it's pretty much same so...

Sapphire
+ New region...
+ Starters, it's hard to pick just one
+ New graphics, even though they are bit darkish...
+ Kyogre, amen
+ Even more new pokés

Platinum - Soul Silver
+ New region, pokémons and definitely loving the new graphics
+ Given nostalgia (SS)
+ Return of the starters (SS)
+ Much bigger region (Pt)
+ Return of the Day/Night
+ Special Hidden Power
+ New items and more TM's
+ walking with your pokémons (SS)
+ Battle Factory
+ Music and the old school remix's
+ Lastly, something you don't see everyday: Chimchar line

White - Black
+ New mechanics like Castelia City
+ Colorful world, desert, sea and all the other stuff.
+ Galvantula, Emboar, Samurott, Krookodile, Darmanitan and lot others
+ Version exclusive areas...The reason I have both of the games this time
+ Pokémon league
+ Plot. The old End of the World FTW
+ Day/Night and seasons

That's all I can come up with in a minute.
Meh...I kinda find every new game as an improvement to the one before.
Long live the new, upcoming, generations.

I like that you were specific. I'm also a fan of Bug Catching contests, new regions, the Battle Factory, and Castelia City. And you're right, long live future generations!!!! :kawaii:

I was just thinking about this earlier today, and now I find a thread for it! :ksmile:

Funny, I used to be the kind of person to await the reveal of a new generation with more apprehension than excitement. With the release of Ruby and Sapphire, I was heartbroken because I could not transfer my old Pokémon to these games. I had (and still have) Pokémon that my first best friend traded to me when I was still in Argentina almost 10 years ago (!) and bits of data they may be, but I had grown attached to them, transferring them from cartridge to cartridge. Being unable to play with them slashed my enthusiasm, and I played less and less.

Last I played had been Diamond/Pearl, and I didn't even finish those. But now that I'm playing Black, I seem to have acquired a new appreciation for every generation, new and old. Even the ones I didn't like before! I was surprised by how many adorable Pokémon Generation V has. This made me go back to look at some of the older generations I'd written off as "bad" or "unoriginal" and realized that I actually like a lot of those Pokémon too… I don't know why I was closed-minded about it at the time! Lol.

I'm also amazed by how beautiful the graphics are in Gen V, and how the game doesn't seem too easy to me anymore, what with Rotation Battles and all (maybe it's just my lack of practice?) And I love how I can trade or battle with anyone over Wi Fi. And the starter Pokémon in this Gen!! Tepig is too cute, and now I love even Oshawott and Snivy though I didn't like them as much when I first saw them.

As soon as I'm done with Black, I'm getting SoulSilver, which I've yet to play but I'm sure I'll love. Too bad they didn't keep the feature of Pokémon following you around in Black/White. I've wanted that since Yellow! Wonder why they took it out again?

Anyway, I feel my love for Pokémon reignited since getting Black… for all generations! :crush:

Me encanta tu respuesta hermana!! I also skipped a few games (only the side games), but I got Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky a few months ago. It's really fun, and it makes me appreciate the main Gen IV games a lot more. But you should really get back into playing the games. It's too much fun! :-D

Gen I: The birth of Pokemon that introduced the basics of the games and has tones of fun and strange glitchs to mess around with

Gen II: Well my first Pokemon game was silver so it got me into Pokemon.

Gen III: The plot was a lot better then the first two gens and the music was just insanely great also had a lot of great Pokemon in it.

Gen IV: Had a good plot and also the Poke-walker was great too!

Gen V: Just wow this is great first it had an amazing plot and the ending was just very well done. Also the animated sprites are all great as it brings more life to the battles then just staring at a static image. The battles also are a lot faster then gen IV. Also I love a lot of the new Pokemon and think they are all very well done. Oh and reusing TMs FTW!

Yeah, I also love being able to reuse TMs FTW!!!! ;-)

this is a great thread, for the record. I'm glad to hear some positive comments about the generations!

Thanks, I'm glad you like the thread! :-D Too many people find it easy to thrash the Gen's, and that just annoys me. I hope more people find this thread and comment, because the Pokemon series needs more love....

Let's see:

1: introduced pokemon
2 apricorn balls. I loved getting a free pokeball daily. I also liked using the time capsule.
3. A new evil team(s). It was nice to get away from team rocket. Oh, can't forget the contests.
4. Poffins
5. I loved how Game Freak succesfully rebooted the games. It felt like I was playing pokemon for the first time.

Interesting thread. All Gens had their ups and downs, definitely. For me, the ups would be...

Gen 1: Whether you dislike it or not, fact stands that Gen 1 set the standard every main series Pokémon game after has followed through the franchise's entire life. The formula has worked greatly for years, and besides technical and storytelling aspects, it has remained untouched. At the time, they were very fun games despite their archaic build as well. I also like how it used to be the Generation with the most completely, truly new Pokémon introduced.

Gen 2: I liked Johto as a Region, its deep myths and all its people, as well as its quaint feel. Also, Whitney and Bellossom, my top characters not just in Pokémon. I also liked genders and breeding mechanics.

Gen 3: That the new Pokémon were properly showcased throughout the Region, and that we had so many new ones as well, all of them very damn interesting and awesome. Hoenn was also the first truly lively Region with several different environments throughout it. I also liked the spin-offs, which saw the beginning of my two top Spin-off series, Colosseum/XD and Ranger. Wally, a very nice Rival for a change, and a nice character in every way, was also a spotlight. FRLG were excellent Remakes and injected much-needed trivia and depth to the once-bland Kanto characters, as well as the Sevii Islands and connecting the original games to GSC in a much better fashion, tying almost all loose ends. The first much-needed fresh start of the series. Natures, beyond their contribution to Stats, also made Pokémon feel more like individuals and more alive. Emerald brought Battle Frontier and Gym Leader Rematches as well, two features I absolutely loved back then.

Gen 4: I liked Sinnoh's myth, Maylene and Candice, and their Yuriness. Team Galactic was a very outstanding evil Team, and Cyrus is both one of the most intriguing and powerful villains in the whole series. I also adored Mars and Dahlia. Likewise, I loved Whitney's new outfit in HGSS. The return of a non-Monotype Champion was much welcome too. Also, Looker was epic. Many great new Moves, and finally, a widespread 80 Power Grass Move! In that vein, the Physical/Special classification for Moves was one of the best ideas ever.

Gen 5: It's much easier to list what I didn't like, which are nitpicky and meager flaws, but this isn't the thread for that... even if it's to say that I absolutely love and praise every other aspect in Black and White. Best characters in the entire series, best plot, excellent Region, astonishing Pokémon, as well as kicking out Gen 1's former "Most new Pokémon introduced" spot with excellent results, a much-needed life injection to the battle interface, great connectivity additions, the Dream World, and the fresh feel that even outdid 3rd Gen's... makes it easily the best Generation as far as I'm concerned.

Funny that a thread like this had such a short-lived life.... If anyone likes something about the generations (and Pokemon in general), try to get other members to post here too!!! :)

I loved Gen II for all the new Pokemon I saw when stealing my brothers gameboy and popping in this new mysterious game.

I love Gen III for all the things it's have done to me.Being my first game,having my first ever starter,etc etc.

GEN IV.I loved the Wifi features.No more would people have to use cords to trade.Now we can trade with anyone,anywhere.

GEN V?Just Perfect.Animating sprites.New Battle types.A bunch of other things that would take hours to type.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom