• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Appreciating Each Generation

\/\Stormbolt100/\/

Reaction score
Ever since the 2nd generation, there has been a large number of people who denounce the whole Pokemon series as "dead" and "commercially milked" They found hundreds of glitches and disadvantages for each generation, and talked about how great it was in "the old days of Pokemon"

If there's something in a generation that you don't like, that's fine. But for a few minutes, can you pick something from each generation that you loved? I love humor as much as the next guy, but try to limit the sarcasm please.

PS- If anyone likes something about the generations (and Pokemon in general), try to get other members to post here too!!! :) This thread is way too good to have a few replies

Last edited:
Despite what I think about the Pokemon of a new Generation, I actually like the new Generations more that the old ones. There are more Pokemon available. A lot of them better than Gen I Pokemon. The graphics, and music, and newer game mechanics. I mean, you can't play a Gen III game for a while, then go back to Gen I without noticing how much better the game play is in the newest generation. Gen II added in the Sp. atk and def stats, then we had the Physical/Special split, then each move was either Physical or Special (Something I absolutely love) plus each Generation has added a new battle style. Double, Tag, Triple, and Rotation battles.

IMO: Each Generation is better than the last.

^^That's interesting. I've never heard someone say that "each generation is better than the last" I actually agree with that statement, although I love every generation to death lol. It's just that while the main game mechanics have mostly stayed the same, all the little details like graphics and music are big improvements.

I love all the odd-numbered generations.

I- I loved it because it was the birth of Pokemon

III- I liked that day/night was taken out, and the Pokemon were cooler than Gen II

V- Pokemon was reinvented, and the graphics are amazing

Gen III:
Abilities
Streamlined EV/IV system
Streamlined Berries
Contests
Secret Bases
Awesome music
... Mudkip. o3o

Gen IV:
Underground
Physical/Special Split
Wi-fi introduced
The start of giving gym leaders more of a personality

Gen V:
Animated sprites

... Uh, I love Gen V, but I'm kind of brain dead right now in thinking of specifics for it. xD;

III- I liked that day/night was taken out, and the Pokemon were cooler than Gen II

I actually hated that day & night was taken out in Gen III :-( Time was still put into the game (the clock that was in the player character's room), but the Berry Glitch stopped it from working correctly

Generation I - The start of it all, the birth of something great. Early childhood nostalgia.

Generation II
- My premiere games. Day/Night, breeding, two regions, Battle Tower, Happiness, Shinies. Biggest improvement in Pokemon franchise history, no doubt. Biased, much?

Generation III
- Different plot, refreshing region, abilities, natures, contests, double battles, secret bases, berry uprising etc. Unique new feeling that GameFreak was aiming for. The creation of 'remakes'. I have not spent as much time with these games as I would've liked to, my Emerald is gathering dust because of Platinum, HeartGold, and now White. So, I might have missed some great features.

Generation IV - My return-from-Poke-hiatus games. Brought back day and night, Special + Physical move split, deeper plot, wireless capabilities (The Underground) umm, introduction to 3D graphics/capabilities. HG/SS: Poke-followers, Pokeathlon, and.. remastered nostalgia?

Generation V
- The next big upgrade since II. Seasons introduced, 2.5D mastered graphics, moving sprites, triple and rotation battles, Dream World, Wi-Fi capabilities, far-off region similar to Hoenn, deep and amazing story plot, revolution in EV/training/catching/TM mechanics, and a great musical score. The epitome of Poke-rebirth; GEN II (major improvements) + GEN III (foreign region, pokemon) = GEN V.

^^ ..what?

Some people were unable to catch certain Pokemon as they could not play during certain periods of the day, I assume.

That's the reason I always see for disliking the day/night system.

Gen III:
Abilities
Streamlined EV/IV system
Streamlined Berries
Contests
Secret Bases
Awesome music
... Mudkip. o3o

Gen IV:
Underground
Physical/Special Split
Wi-fi introduced
The start of giving gym leaders more of a personality

Gen V:
Animated sprites

... Uh, I love Gen V, but I'm kind of brain dead right now in thinking of specifics for it. xD;

I'm with you on just about everything. And I love the 5th generation so far, but I'm still discovering the great things about it lol :-D

Generation I - The start of it all, the birth of something great. Early childhood nostalgia.

Generation II
- My premiere games. Day/Night, breeding, two regions, Battle Tower, Happiness, Shinies. Biggest improvement in Pokemon franchise history, no doubt. Biased, much?

Generation III
- Different plot, refreshing region, abilities, natures, contests, double battles, secret bases, berry uprising etc. Unique new feeling that GameFreak was aiming for. The creation of 'remakes'. I have not spent as much time with these games as I would've liked to, my Emerald is gathering dust because of Platinum, HeartGold, and now White. So, I might have missed some great features.

Generation IV - My return-from-Poke-hiatus games. Brought back day and night, Special + Physical move split, deeper plot, wireless capabilities (The Underground) umm, introduction to 3D graphics/capabilities. HG/SS: Poke-followers, Pokeathlon, and.. remastered nostalgia?

Generation V
- The next big upgrade since II. Seasons introduced, 2.5D mastered graphics, moving sprites, triple and rotation battles, Dream World, Wi-Fi capabilities, far-off region similar to Hoenn, deep and amazing story plot, revolution in EV/training/catching/TM mechanics, and a great musical score. The epitome of Poke-rebirth; GEN II (major improvements) + GEN III (foreign region, pokemon) = GEN V.

^^ ..what?

Whoa, Really nice answer lols. So basically, you like all the new features and improvements of each Gen. Me too. I guess that's why they're improvements lol!

Some people were unable to catch certain Pokemon as they could not play during certain periods of the day, I assume.

That's the reason I always see for disliking the day/night system.

I didn't completely hate the day/night elimination because I couldn't catch a Pokemon ( the only pokemon I missed from Ice Cave was Snorunt) But that was part of it. I never got another chance to catch it. The main reason was that I simply like the realistic feeling of day and night lol.

Last edited:
Gen V:
Animated sprites

How about being able to trade from anywhere and through the PC? Or the Dream World?

I like every generation, and the most current is always the best to me because it always has the most to offer.

Gen I: The birth of Pokemon that introduced the basics of the games and has tones of fun and strange glitchs to mess around with

Gen II: Well my first Pokemon game was silver so it got me into Pokemon.

Gen III: The plot was a lot better then the first two gens and the music was just insanely great also had a lot of great Pokemon in it.

Gen IV: Had a good plot and also the Poke-walker was great too!

Gen V: Just wow this is great first it had an amazing plot and the ending was just very well done. Also the animated sprites are all great as it brings more life to the battles then just staring at a static image. The battles also are a lot faster then gen IV. Also I love a lot of the new Pokemon and think they are all very well done. Oh and reusing TMs FTW!

Gen. I - I guess the simplicity of it had its GB RPG charm. If it were a forgotten game with no success, I'd still have played and enjoyed it the same way.
Gen. II - Huge improvement over the first! About everything in here stands out. They revisited almost everything from the previous game.
Gen. III - Well, it is my favorite after all... though I can't really point my finger on why exactly. I'd say... it's how it expanded the world itself. Instead of being the usual regions with the cities and whatnot, it made a point in stating there was a whole world, that it went far beyond what the games covered. You could say that Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza really shaped the pokemon world as it is presented physically.
Gen. IV - I guess how it greatly expanded all the pokemon mythos. Not just legendaries; before a pokemon was simply a monster, here, they gave a personality and a history to everything. Basically the same as III but with the world's history.
And so far, Gen. V... I'd say it expands on the plot and story itself, giving focus on interactions between people (which is what makes an story), though I can't wait to see what does it exactly do...

In fact, thinking about the games' themes you can see where they tried their strong points: Gen I was a new game and was about experimentation, and given the development of the game itself of course it had a science and investiagation theme. Gen II was instead a direct sequel where they improved everything, which ties in with the traditions, and revisiting the old game's world. Gen III was a whole new game in a whole new system, with a new development, and had many more possibilities, so it's about an expansive world and the enviroment. Gen IV, which was about history and mythology, standarizes pokemon's popularity and keeps it as a solid franchise up to the time's standards, specially with the competitive online play, and makes a point in saying "this is how the game you are playing was before!". Gen V seems to try to deal with social interaction, what with the many ways players can and are told to interact with each other, and in turn they work on the story, as character interaction is what kinda defines an story.

I was just thinking about this earlier today, and now I find a thread for it! :ksmile:

Funny, I used to be the kind of person to await the reveal of a new generation with more apprehension than excitement. With the release of Ruby and Sapphire, I was heartbroken because I could not transfer my old Pokémon to these games. I had (and still have) Pokémon that my first best friend traded to me when I was still in Argentina almost 10 years ago (!) and bits of data they may be, but I had grown attached to them, transferring them from cartridge to cartridge. Being unable to play with them slashed my enthusiasm, and I played less and less.

Last I played had been Diamond/Pearl, and I didn't even finish those. But now that I'm playing Black, I seem to have acquired a new appreciation for every generation, new and old. Even the ones I didn't like before! I was surprised by how many adorable Pokémon Generation V has. This made me go back to look at some of the older generations I'd written off as "bad" or "unoriginal" and realized that I actually like a lot of those Pokémon too… I don't know why I was closed-minded about it at the time! Lol.

I'm also amazed by how beautiful the graphics are in Gen V, and how the game doesn't seem too easy to me anymore, what with Rotation Battles and all (maybe it's just my lack of practice?) And I love how I can trade or battle with anyone over Wi Fi. And the starter Pokémon in this Gen!! Tepig is too cute, and now I love even Oshawott and Snivy though I didn't like them as much when I first saw them.

As soon as I'm done with Black, I'm getting SoulSilver, which I've yet to play but I'm sure I'll love. Too bad they didn't keep the feature of Pokémon following you around in Black/White. I've wanted that since Yellow! Wonder why they took it out again?

Anyway, I feel my love for Pokémon reignited since getting Black… for all generations! :crush:

Gen. I - I guess the simplicity of it had its GB RPG charm. If it were a forgotten game with no success, I'd still have played and enjoyed it the same way.
Gen. II - Huge improvement over the first! About everything in here stands out. They revisited almost everything from the previous game.
Gen. III - Well, it is my favorite after all... though I can't really point my finger on why exactly. I'd say... it's how it expanded the world itself. Instead of being the usual regions with the cities and whatnot, it made a point in stating there was a whole world, that it went far beyond what the games covered. You could say that Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza really shaped the pokemon world as it is presented physically.
Gen. IV - I guess how it greatly expanded all the pokemon mythos. Not just legendaries; before a pokemon was simply a monster, here, they gave a personality and a history to everything. Basically the same as III but with the world's history.
And so far, Gen. V... I'd say it expands on the plot and story itself, giving focus on interactions between people (which is what makes an story), though I can't wait to see what does it exactly do...

In fact, thinking about the games' themes you can see where they tried their strong points: Gen I was a new game and was about experimentation, and given the development of the game itself of course it had a science and investiagation theme. Gen II was instead a direct sequel where they improved everything, which ties in with the traditions, and revisiting the old game's world. Gen III was a whole new game in a whole new system, with a new development, and had many more possibilities, so it's about an expansive world and the enviroment. Gen IV, which was about history and mythology, standarizes pokemon's popularity and keeps it as a solid franchise up to the time's standards, specially with the competitive online play, and makes a point in saying "this is how the game you are playing was before!". Gen V seems to try to deal with social interaction, what with the many ways players can and are told to interact with each other, and in turn they work on the story, as character interaction is what kinda defines an story.

Couldn't agree more.

First let me say thank you for making this thread. Whenever I see people say they hate EVERYTHING about a certain gen, I always wonder, Really? There was nothing you liked?

Generation 1-The gen that started it all. Honestly do I even need to explain this one? LOL. Never been able to understand how someone can dislike the original.

Generation 2-(IMO) One of the most important Gens and i'd go so far as to say every gen since has been built on what this one did. Basically improved on everything in gen 1 AND then added a little more. Opened everyone up to the idea that there was more in the pokemon world than just Kanto. 2 new eeveelutions. There was just so much to do, even after the Elite 4. Brought Red back as the final boss.

Generation 3-I hated RSE when they first came out, but even then I had to admit that GF did a good job with redesigning pokemon to get new fans. Hoenn was and in my opinion still is the most physically beautiful of all the regions. The introduction of abilities and berries. A new plot with Team Magma and Aqua. Started the tradition of remakes so what came before wouldn't be forgotten.

Generation 4-Expansion on the pokemon worlds creation. Return of Day/Night. Pokewalker and another intersting group of new villains. Wasn't as revolutionary as any of the other gens, but it kept the series going strong.

Generation 5-Basically a combination of Gens 2 and 3. Major improvements to the franchise plus a far off region that took away the old pokemon. Moving sprites. The introduction of seasons. Allowing TM's to be used an infinite number of times. Amazing plot. Great antagonist in N. The gym leaders FINALLY seemed to be doing something to help. It was great how it was basically your ideology vs N's.

Meh...To be honest, there isn't a generation that I dislike.
The one I find least interesting is Hoenn, but that doesn't mean I dislike it.
Anyway...To the point.
I'm gonna make +:s from all the games I've played and not the whole genertaion thing...
There is games I haven't played, so...

Blue - Yellow
+ Here we go, the world of Pokémon
+ ...Pretty much everything...Cool game, so moving onwards

Silver - Crystal
+ Crobat & Politoed
+ More pokémons
+ Day/Night
+ Another region
+ Special transforming into S.ATK and S.DEF
+ Daycare
+ Bug catching
...Well...Other than that it's pretty much same so...

Sapphire
+ New region...
+ Starters, it's hard to pick just one
+ New graphics, even though they are bit darkish...
+ Kyogre, amen
+ Even more new pokés

Platinum - Soul Silver
+ New region, pokémons and definitely loving the new graphics
+ Given nostalgia (SS)
+ Return of the starters (SS)
+ Much bigger region (Pt)
+ Return of the Day/Night
+ Special Hidden Power
+ New items and more TM's
+ walking with your pokémons (SS)
+ Battle Factory
+ Music and the old school remix's
+ Lastly, something you don't see everyday: Chimchar line

White - Black
+ New mechanics like Castelia City
+ Colorful world, desert, sea and all the other stuff.
+ Galvantula, Emboar, Samurott, Krookodile, Darmanitan and lot others
+ Version exclusive areas...The reason I have both of the games this time
+ Pokémon league
+ Plot. The old End of the World FTW
+ Day/Night and seasons

That's all I can come up with in a minute.
Meh...I kinda find every new game as an improvement to the one before.
Long live the new, upcoming, generations.

Day/night was still included in Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald but it did not affect the pokémon available and days of the week were not included. Day/night was still included to allow Eevee to evolve into Espeon or Umbreon.

Last edited:
I love every generation. I hate those people that go "TER AR ONLY 151 POGEYMANZ!!!!111!!!11 POGEMON DIED IN GEN 2!!!!!!!11!!1"

Gen 1 = the original
Gen 2 = Day and night
Gen 3 = abilities
Gen 4 = Not sure what I like about it, I just... do.
Gen 5 = Awesome graphics

And of course each gen has some pokemon that we love and some that we hate, that's just how it is.

I love things about each generation. everything of which everyone above have already mentioned so I won't say it all again. The only generation I had a problem with was gen III at the time it came out. I think it was because of it couldn't connect to gen II. Well, after gen IV came out and you could transfer from gen III to gen IV I loved the Pokemon more and everything. There are now very few Pokemon I don't like, *cought* Bidoof *cough*

Gen I: It was the start of Pokemon, and brought in a lot of things that have sticked to the end.
Gen II: Brought in day/night, breeding, move tutors, new types, shinies.
Gen III: Provided better graphics than GI and GII combined, brought in abilities, creative Pokemon, remakes, more legendaries, and a much bigger region.
Gen IV: Changed the battling system, provided Wi-Fi, slightly better graphics, and more touch screen capibilities (HGSS).
Gen V: Much, much better graphics than GIV, fully animated sprites, more interesting story, more Pokemon than in GI (156 compared to 151).

I-II: I wasn't playing for those, actually.

III: It was my first gen! I loved the gameplay, the Pokemon... everything!

IV: It felt hugely refreshing after Gen III. (up to getting Platinum, I was still playing FR on my DS). The graphics were more up-to-date, the new legendaries were awesome, and I got the most out of this one so far. I thought I'd never get Mew, or Jirachi, or Celebi... and there were events for them! (ok, I had to go to London for the Celebi, but still...)

V: The latest and the best. By far. Awesome graphics, awesome fast battles, tag-mode (not very useful in the UK, but a nice touch), the coolness of the new Pokemon (I'll try to forget Watchog for now...), Global Link, Dream World, Entralink, all the new wireless features full stop, different camera angle (oh why did you remove it from Platinum, Gamefreak?) and everything. Gen V is awesome.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom