• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

April CoroCoro begins to surface: Boxart for Black 2, White 2 revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem is that not many users of bulbagarden are huge TCG fans. I know they exist, but if I were to post TCG news on say, SixPrizes, I'd get a bigger reaction there than I would here. Maybe this is one of those chicken (TCG news writers) or the egg (TCG fans) situations. In any case, if Bulbanews wants more TCG writers, they need to provide a bigger incentive than other sites. Not necessarily a monetary incentive, but like, a gold star or something.

I think the problem is that not many users of bulbagarden are huge TCG fans. I know they exist, but if I were to post TCG news on say, SixPrizes, I'd get a bigger reaction there than I would here. Maybe this is one of those chicken (TCG news writers) or the egg (TCG fans) situations. In any case, if Bulbanews wants more TCG writers, they need to provide a bigger incentive than other sites. Not necessarily a monetary incentive, but like, a gold star or something.
like on time and accurate TCG new stories? the wiki categorizes and lists all the cards and sets, so there not much else we can do on that front except our news effort. if youd like to help on that front, by all means, BN is open to everyone to give it a shot.

Yeah, I have noticed that the Bulbanews team has been publishing more TCG news recently, which as a TCG player, I greatly appreciate. But, I also have noticed that there aren't as many TCG players here than on some other sites. I think that's because there isn't a lot of news here about the current state of the metagame, which I completely understand because going to a tournament and writing an objective report takes a lot of effort, and there aren't any sources to back up a writer's claims that "such and such a deck beat such and such deck".

So if I do take the time and effort to go to a tournament and write a report, I then have to ask myself, why should I post this on Bulbanews rather than a different site? The answer of course is because I've worked with you guys before and you're all really helpful, but new writers don't know that. They'd rather publish that on a site with more TCG fans so they can get more recognition.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there should hopefully be a way to break out of the few TCG writers -> few TCG fans cycle that's happening here, but I think it needs a bit of brainstorming. Actually, if you guys can find someone to do some strong reporting on the Japanese metagame, I think you guys would get loads of TCG readers. Unfortunately, I don't live in Japan, nor do I speak Japanese, so I really can't help you there.

By the way, I hope I'm not sounding insulting. I really like Bulbagarden, and would love to see it grow. I'd be happy to report tournament results of the few I'm able to attend, but that only happens about three to four times a year.

By the way, I hope I'm not sounding insulting. I really like Bulbagarden, and would love to see it grow. I'd be happy to report tournament results of the few I'm able to attend, but that only happens about three to four times a year.
Definitely not. Your input is quite good actually. Problem is, we're dealing with a catch-22. TCG writers don't want to write for us because the audience is small, and the audience is small because we don't have TCG writers. If we can figure out a solution to that problem, then we're good.

OMG I love these box arts by far the best. Also did anyone else notice that Keldeo is comes at Level 15 and already knows Sacred Sword so what's the point of the Moor of Icirrus event unless I was thinking that Black Kyurem Forme and White Kyurem Forme are version exclusive and the Keldeo unlocks the opposing one in Black 2 and White 2.

OMG I love these box arts by far the best. Also did anyone else notice that Keldeo is comes at Level 15 and already knows Sacred Sword so what's the point of the Moor of Icirrus event
The Moor of Icirrus event unlocks Secret Sword, which is a special move whose damage is calculated using the opposing Pokémon's Defense stat. In contrast, Sacred Sword is a physical move which is learned by the Musketeer quartet via level up, and isn't very good for Keldeo to use due to its low Attack.

The reason for Keldeo's low level is that it will be released soon after B2W2's release, and so many players will be able to use it in their new games almost from the start. Granted, those players will still have a field day with a legendary Pokémon that has Hydro Pump and such high Special Attack...

Edit: According to the official website, Keldeo's real moveset is Aqua Jet, Leer, Double Kick and BubbleBeam. I'm guessing that the CoroCoro leaker got the information wrong for some reason, or perhaps CoroCoro itself showed the wrong screenshot. At any rate, the fact that Keldeo knows no special moves (these are just its level-up moves) shows that the Pokémon Company wants players to use it in B2W2 without making the story mode battles too easy. It's funny because they had no problem encouraging players to trade a level 100 Regigigas to Platinum and a level 100 Arceus to HGSS, although at least those Pokémon were disobedient prior to getting all the badges.

Last edited:
So, since Keldeo is so low-leveled, that essentially means we'll be starting over again?

Maybe I shouldn't have such high expectations for these games.

So, since Keldeo is so low-leveled, that essentially means we'll be starting over again?

I'm not sure why having to raise a team from scratch means that the games won't meet your expectations. It is possible for Hilbert and Hilda to start anew due to unforeseen circumstances and/or moving over to a new region. If we have done it so many times, why can't the games reflect that? At the same time, it is completely understandable that we are not supposed to use our old Pokémon, whose levels may be as high as 100, as that would make the games ridiculously easy.

While I'll be disappointed if Game Freak turn out to have taken the easy route by introducing new players characters, the expectations which I consider important don't hinge on the identity of the player characters. I just think the story will benefit from having the stakes be raised as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Definitely not. Your input is quite good actually. Problem is, we're dealing with a catch-22. TCG writers don't want to write for us because the audience is small, and the audience is small because we don't have TCG writers. If we can figure out a solution to that problem, then we're good.

I can't even get people to write for us and we're the most visited TCG site! The only people who are going to do it are the people doing it now, and they all have their own sites.

I'm not sure why having to raise a team from scratch means that the games won't meet your expectations. It is possible for Hilbert and Hilda to start anew due to unforeseen circumstances and/or moving over to a new region. If we have done it so many times, why can't the games reflect that? At the same time, it is completely understandable that we are not supposed to use our old Pokémon, whose levels may be as high as 100, as that would make the games ridiculously easy.

While I'll be disappointed if Game Freak turn out to have taken the easy route by introducing new players characters, the expectations which I consider important don't hinge on the identity of the player characters. I just think the story will benefit from having the stakes be raised as soon as possible.
While I doubt that they would go to some way as to justify using the old characters, I do believe they are however a necessity. BW made it clear that those characters are important to the story, and you know what, even if its just reversing the gender of your chosen gender this time ala platinum, I'll take it. Hilbert/Hilda where part of what made BW story, unlike how previous time's we were the unfortunate youth to get caught up in the whole mess of events.

even if its just reversing the gender of your chosen gender this time ala platinum, I'll take it.
As I see it, reversing the gender would just be clunky. It would mean playing as the same character as before, and yet all of that character's accomplishments would be associated with the character of the opposite gender, who may as well be a brand new character seeing as the real-life player didn't even see that character when they played through Black or White. It would be like having your memory reset and identity stolen.

I'm just frustrated by all these people screaming for new protagonists because it's "easier." If they wanted easier, then they just would've done a third version.

I guess it's too soon to pass judgement on these sequels, since we still know next to nothing about them.

Not just Hilbert and Hilda. Bianca and Cheren have an important role in the story too, and they developed a lot and learned about themselves in the first installment. It wouldn't make sense for them to restart their journeys either.

Even if Hilbert and Hilda are the player characters, why wouldn't there be a start-over in the Pokemon levels? Why would Game Freak want to alienate people from getting 2(BW)? The people who didn't get BW originally are having a hard time justifying these titles as it is. And for the people who did have BW, how would GF know what levels to make the wild Pokemon? If they start at around Lv50 (since that would be approx. the level of the end-game bosses) it would be horribly boring for the people who raised their teams all the way up to Lv100, don't you think? And they obviously can't have the wild Pokemon any higher, because what about the people who only had the time to raise their Pokemon up to around Lv50 or 60?

It's not that "starting over" screams "easy," it's that it screams "reasonable." Making sequels as opposed to a third version may not be easy, but it's reasonable.

And yes, Hilbert/Hilda were essential to BW's plot, but that is over. Yeah, we need to go off and find N and Ghetsis and the like, but there's no guarantee that the whole "hero of Unova" thing will be brought up ever again. We should only really be passing judgment on the use of the player characters once we know what the plot of 2(BW) will be.

Am I the only one wondering what the starter will be for these new games? I just don't see them giving us traditional starters this time around. Problem is, I don't see what they would give players instead. Any ideas?

but there's no guarantee that the whole "hero of Unova" thing will be brought up ever again. We should only really be passing judgment on the use of the player characters once we know what the plot of 2(BW) will be.

The hero of Unova thing will most definitely be brought up again. We aren't going into a new generation, were still in 5th gen so people should expect the same themes even in a sequel. Not saying of course that the games will be the same or anything, just that the themes of the original BW will carry on to BW2.

Hilda/Hilbert are now just as important as N or Ghetsis, as they are the heroes of Unova. As for how they could handle that there are multiple ways, like how the anime handles Ash whenever he starts a new journey as an example.

The only thing that I'm uncertain of is if this does take place in Unova with Hilda/Hilbert again, then I wonder how the badges will be handled, but again there are multiple ways they can go about this.

@Siva No, the starters will still be Snivy/Tepig/Oshwaott, we aren't in gen 6. I will admit the thought of having previous starters (from gen 1-4) would be a first, but it would take away from the Unova starters.

@Siva No, the starters will still be Snivy/Tepig/Oshwaott, we aren't in gen 6. I will admit the thought of having previous starters (from gen 1-4) would be a first, but it would take away from the Unova starters.

In all likelihood, you're probably right. But my gut just tells me the starters will be a bit unconventional this time. I wasn't actually suggesting new Pokemon or Pokemon from a previous generation be the starters. I actually meant a Pokemon from the Unovadex. Kind of like what they did in Yellow, only without the anime influence.

I just think it's strange to re-use the same starters from before, even if it is in the same region. It would make even less sense Hilbert/Hilda were the main protagonists again this time around. I mean, giving someone who should already have a starter another starter is just impractical.

Last edited:
but there's no guarantee that the whole "hero of Unova" thing will be brought up ever again. We should only really be passing judgment on the use of the player characters once we know what the plot of 2(BW) will be.

The hero of Unova thing will most definitely be brought up again. We aren't going into a new generation, were still in 5th gen so people should expect the same themes even in a sequel. Not saying of course that the games will be the same or anything, just that the themes of the original BW will carry on to BW2.

Hilda/Hilbert are now just as important as N or Ghetsis, as they are the heroes of Unova. As for how they could handle that there are multiple ways, like how the anime handles Ash whenever he starts a new journey as an example.

The only thing that I'm uncertain of is if this does take place in Unova with Hilda/Hilbert again, then I wonder how the badges will be handled, but again there are multiple ways they can go about this.

All I'm saying is that just because Hilbert/Hilda is just as important as N doesn't necessarily mean they absolutely need to be the player characters. Yeah the themes may be there, maybe they'll mention the heroes of Unova, but will they play front seat again? They might, they might not. Just look at GSC, where Red is the super special awesome hero from three years ago--the plot of Team Rocket still managed to be resolved without Red, though. Also, if we're to guess that Kyurem (and later, his formes, which we know are the mascots) is the "main legendary" of these games, why would there be such a huge need for Hilbert/Hilda as player characters again? Unless something is stated in 2(BW) (which, again, we don't know yet), Kyurem doesn't need a "chosen warrior" or "unique hero." He just needs someone brave enough to come by and catch him. So it's not like we 100% need Hilbert/Hilda again as player characters for this to be a successful game.

Just look at GSC, where Red is the super special awesome hero from three years ago--the plot of Team Rocket still managed to be resolved without Red, though.

GSC is Gen II. Red was from Gen I. So no, I wouldn't expect Red to be the protagonist again in GSC.

However, these sequels are still set in Gen V. It doesn't make sense to bring in new protagonists while we're still in the same generation. Especially if the sequels are set only a few years after B/W.

Just look at GSC, where Red is the super special awesome hero from three years ago--the plot of Team Rocket still managed to be resolved without Red, though.

GSC is Gen II. Red was from Gen I. So no, I wouldn't expect Red to be the protagonist again in GSC.

However, these sequels are still set in Gen V. It doesn't make sense to bring in new protagonists while we're still in the same generation. Especially if the sequels are set only a few years after B/W.

That's true, but again, we have no idea when these games are set. They are gen 5, but what if they're set 3 years after BW? The fact that we're getting sequels and not a third version already shows that GF is willing to mix things up. These games don't necessarily have to start up 5 seconds after N jumps out of the castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom