• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Arcanine vs Ninetales

Ninetales. Better movepool, in my opinion. Arcanine's always seemed a little overrated, I mean, 'Legendary Pokémon'? Come on!

Keep in mind, Arcanine was the "Legendary Pokemon" before that term was used for actual Legendaries. Arcanine all the way, dogs are way better than foxes... and hunt them IRL. Plus, Arcanine has a great physical move pool.

I definitely love Ninetales over Arcanine by their visual designs, though I admit that I may be a bit biased - Ninetales was an enormous help in SoulSilver, but I haven't really used Arcanine in battle yet.

Well, Ninetales has Drought, which allows for a powerful Fire Blast, along with Nasty Plot, Energy Ball, Confuse Ray, and Extrasensory (if that helps at all...)

Arcanine has both a powerful Flare Blitz & instant recovery in Morning Sun, plus Wild Charge y Close Combat for coverage, and Extremespeed to knock another 'Mon out before it dies.

Now, personally, I remember using an Arcanine on my old Crystal file to considerable success, and using a Growlithe on FireRed. Whereas I've never once used Ninetales (might in the future, though.) So, Arcanine.

Arcanine should've been had drought... and Ninetales should've had Illusion (She's a fuckinng KITSUNE!! Kitunes are famous for illusions... ) Justified is cool but doesn't fit Arcanine and flash Fire's better anyway he getts a power-up ANd a immunity

Ninetails, because it can pull off some tricky moves (Confuse Ray, Grudge, Hex) and just because I've had one and always liked it lol

Gen V officially made Ninetales superior to Arcanine. Good thing too, she's been living under his shadow since Gen I.

Ninetales. Not only does it have Drought for its DW ability, but also Energy Ball, which means it has complete coverage over its weaknesses. I feel sad for Arcanine as I like him more than Ninetales.

Like Arcanine more, but as of Gen 5 i'd say Ninetales has probably taken over as top dog. Don't worry Arcanine for every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun.

Even if Ninetales got Energy Ball doesn't mean that it can beat Drizzletoad or T-tar. And Ninetails is often dead wieght on most teams apart from being the sun inducer. If it didn't have Drought, it would NU.

On the other Hand, Arcanine is good and actually viable for OU, even with intimidate or flash fire. It also looks better. So my vote goes for Arcanine.

Even if Ninetales got Energy Ball doesn't mean that it can beat Drizzletoad or T-tar. And Ninetails is often dead wieght on most teams apart from being the sun inducer. If it didn't have Drought, it would NU.

On the other Hand, Arcanine is good and actually viable for OU, even with intimidate or flash fire. It also looks better. So my vote goes for Arcanine.

Common misconception. A bulky Ninetales with Will-O-Wisp will beat Tyranitar and as long as it can keep the sun up, also Politoed. That said, Arcanine is the stronger Pokemon. However, Ninetale's sun support is too valuable this Gen to justify shafting it for Arcanine ninety percent of the time. Ninetales' utility is too useful this Gen and that's why I think Ninetales is currently the better Pokemon.

The problem with Arcanine is that you have other Pokemon that can do its role better than it in OU. The monkey, Darmanitan, Chandelure, Heatran, Victini....

Ninetales, on the other hand, provides unique support to a team which makes her the best at what she does.

IMO, both are awesome, but I prefer Ninetales' design and the fact that she singlehandedly made my favorite Pokemon (Venusaur) viable in OU so I picked her.

Common misconception. A bulky Ninetales with Will-O-Wisp will beat Tyranitar and as long as it can keep the sun up, also Politoed. That said, Arcanine is the stronger Pokemon. However, Ninetale's sun support is too valuable this Gen to justify shafting it for Arcanine ninety percent of the time. Ninetales' utility is too useful this Gen and that's why I think Ninetales is currently the better Pokemon.

The problem with Arcanine is that you have other Pokemon that can do its role better than it in OU. The monkey, Darmanitan, Chandelure, Heatran, Victini....

Ninetales, on the other hand, provides unique support to a team which makes her the best at what she does.

IMO, both are awesome, but I prefer Ninetales' design and the fact that she singlehandedly made my favorite Pokemon (Venusaur) viable in OU so I picked her.
Energy ball ones cannot beat t-tar and thats a fact.
A scarftar albeit rare and predictable can beat that Ninetales. Even setting up sr puts it in trouble. Secondly half of SS abusers can beat Ninetails. SS & Drizzle >> Drought.
And don't forget that for 4 gens , arcy has been better than the fox. As I said, without Drought, ninetails is terrible.

Energy ball ones cannot beat t-tar and thats a fact.
A scarftar albeit rare and predictable can beat that Ninetales. Even setting up sr puts it in trouble. Secondly half of SS abusers can beat Ninetails. SS & Drizzle >> Drought.
And don't forget that for 4 gens , arcy has been better than the fox. As I said, without Drought, ninetails is terrible.

The trick is to Wisp the incoming Ttar on the switch. Scarf or no, a crippled TTar won't be doing much to Ninetales.

I never said Ninetales was better than Arcanine. Just the opposite, in fact. I explicitly mentioned that Arcanine is by far the better battler, but that the utility Ninetales provides is far more invaluable in today's weather infested metagame than the offense Arcanine brings. Especially considering that other Fire types (Chandelure, Darmanitan, Victini, Heatran, the monkey) are superior offensive threats than Arcanine.

Furthermore, Sun, while not as viable as rain or sand, is still a premier strategy in the current Gen V OU metagame, so Ninetales, much like Politoed, is hardly dead weight for the simple fact that they can summon it. Is Ninetales the worst weather inducer in the current OU tier? Yes. Will she lose against Poli and TTar? Most likely. Is the previous statement 100% undeniable fact? Most certainly not. Is her ability to summon permanent sunlight still more valuable than her counterpart's meh offensive presence in OU? I think so.

Feel free to disagree, that's what these debate threads are for. Those are just my two cents. :)

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom