• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Arcanine vs Ninetales

The trick is to Wisp the incoming Ttar on the switch. Scarf or no, a crippled TTar won't be doing much to Ninetales.

I never said Ninetales was better than Arcanine. Just the opposite, in fact. I explicitly mentioned that Arcanine is by far the better battler, but that the utility Ninetales provides is far more invaluable in today's weather infested metagame than the offense Arcanine brings. Especially considering that other Fire types (Chandelure, Darmanitan, Victini, Heatran, the monkey) are superior offensive threats than Arcanine.

Furthermore, Sun, while not as viable as rain or sand, is still a premier strategy in the current Gen V OU metagame, so Ninetales, much like Politoed, is hardly dead weight for the simple fact that they can summon it. Is Ninetales the worst weather inducer in the current OU tier? Yes. Will she lose against Poli and TTar? Most likely. Is the previous statement 100% undeniable fact? Most certainly not. Is her ability to summon permanent sunlight still more valuable than her counterpart's meh offensive presence in OU? I think so.

Feel free to disagree, that's what these debate threads are for. Those are just my two cents. :)

If you a want good weather inducing killer, all you have to do is use a wobbuffet.

Anyway the problem is that ninetails is simply coveted for Drought. Specstoad actually hurts and t-tar is t-tar. Just like Blaziken, ninetails was blessed by the DW.
So what am I saying? Assume a scenario in which both ninetails and Arcy get Drought. Who would you use?

Simply put : Drought is good, Ninetails isn't.

If you a want good weather inducing killer, all you have to do is use a wobbuffet.

Anyway the problem is that ninetails is simply coveted for Drought. Specstoad actually hurts and t-tar is t-tar. Just like Blaziken, ninetails was blessed by the DW.
So what am I saying? Assume a scenario in which both ninetails and Arcy get Drought. Who would you use?

I understand and fully agree with your argument. As a Pokemon, Arcanine is clearly superior. However, the fact remains that Ninetales got Drought and Arcy didn't. As a result, her utility becomes much more coveted than Arcanine's offensive prowess.

As a sidenote, would you use Specstoed in OU if Poli never got Drizzle? I believe Poli, like Ninetales, is used for his DW ability, not for anything else.

I understand and fully agree with your argument. As a Pokemon, Arcanine is clearly superior. However, the fact remains that Ninetales got Drought and Arcy didn't. As a result, her utility becomes much more coveted than Arcanine's offensive prowess.

As a sidenote, would you use Specstoed in OU if Poli never got Drizzle? I believe Poli, like Ninetales, is used for his DW ability, not for anything else.

No, i wouldn't ever use specstoad. Its ridiculously outclassed.

Agreed. Ninetails got lucky with Drought, but its flaws still exist.

Drought does fi tNinetales.. she should've had Illusion if yuo ask me (she's a Kitsune for gods sake!)

Ninetales is the winner in my eyes mainly because of it's elegant appearance and ghostly aspects. It's DW ability of course makes it even more useful in competitive battle and I usually prefer the special attacker over the Physical attacker.

I love Arcanine as well again mainly for it's strong aggressive appearance and legendary aspects. It is a powerful Pokemon and would get my vote if it wasn't against Ninetales.

Ninetails is ridiculously more useful in 5th gen as a result of Drought whilst Arcanine as pretty effective running a mixture of sets in gen 4 UU. In fact, one of my most successful teams ever utilized Choice Band Arcanine. However, I'm going to go with Ninetails because it also looks far cooler and is linked to Kitsune.

I'm not interested in which of the two is a better battler, in all honesty. My preferences are never based on that. That said, my vote goes to the bewitching and disquieting Ninetales. The obscure charm that it possesses... Arcanine is miles behind under this aspect. A fox that is said to be intelligent enough to understand human language... that is said to be extremely vengeful and capable of placing horrible curses... that can use its gleaming red eyes to take control of its opponent's mind... that can create illusions... Frankly, Arcanine is nothing in comparison. It's just a fire-spitting big dog with stunning speed that is admired for its beauty. Not so special. Besides, I don't like dogs that much. Especially the big ones, yeah. I hate those.

Last edited:
I'm not interested in which of the two is a better battler, in all honesty. My preferences are never based on that. That said, my vote goes to the bewitching and disquieting Ninetales. The obscure charm that it possesses... Arcanine is miles behind under this aspect. A fox that is said to be intelligent enough to understand human language... that is said to be extremely vengeful and capable of placing horrible curses... that can use its gleaming red eyes to take control of its opponent's mind... that can create illusions... Frankly, Arcanine is nothing in comparison. It's just a fire-spitting big dog with stunning speed that it's admired for its beauty. Not so special. Besides, I don't like dogs that much. Especially the big ones, yeah. I hate those.

Exactly, Ninetales is mysterious, elegant and graceful. Arcanine is "generic badass pokemon #59"

I like Arcanine's design well enough, but Ninetales just leaves him in the dust.

The fact that Drought makes her OU worthy while he's stuck in UU is just gravy, really.

Arcanine vs. Ninetales

In Generation I, they introduced two fire type Pokemon that are thought to be counterparts: Arcanine, and Ninetales.

:059: :038:

* Which one is better in battling, from a competitive or in-game view?
* Which one looks better to you?
* Who would win in a battle?

And most importantly, which one is your favorite? My favorite is Arcanine (Arcanine is my favorite Pokemon).

Re: Arcanine vs. Ninetales

Bleh. It's a tie. I love both of them equally, and even though Arcanine has a bit better stats, I still think either one could beat the other depending on how they were used.

I would guess Arcanine is better competitively, even though I see Ninetales more often with the Drought.
They both look equally awesome to me. I really like them both.
Once again, I would guess Arcanine would win in a battle, since it's the better attacker.

It's hard to choose which one I like better. Arcanine is very cool. I used one in Gold, White 2, and even Red Rescue Team. And I've used Ninetales in Silver, Soulsilver, and Explorers of Sky. And I really like her Kyuubi design. I figure since I love Vulpix a good bit more than Growlithe, just on looks alone, that I'd say Ninetales is my favorite.

I've had several Arcanine and Ninetails throughout my games, but it's hard to say which is better in game, because I've never actually used either of them too much in battle :s

I can at least say appearance wise, I really like Arcanine. I like how it's a sort of split between a dog and a tiger. I like Ninetails to, but it's design is a bit more plain.

Ninetales looks amazing and it was perhaps the best looking Pokémon back in Generation I. Also I love its origin. I dislike Arcanine's design, it is so ugly.

Ninetales isn't bad and all, and has some interesting lore behind it, but I find Arcanine to be a better design and has a better movepool. Also, I just like dogs better.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom