• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are Ghost Pokemon Really Ghosts?

What Are Ghost Pokemon Really?

• The Spirits of Deceased Pokemon, Obviously!

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • Their Own Unique Species, of Course!

Votes: 94 83.2%
  • Silly Question... GHOSTS AREN'T POKEMON!!!

Votes: 6 5.3%

• Total voters
I doubt they're ghost of other Pokemon. Ghost Pokemon have names and traits and all other sorts of things. Like one person said, they breed and make other ghost types so logically they're just referred to as ghost because they resemble them.

This is a problem that the anime and the games don't agree on. The anime shows Ghost types phasing through walls and saying "Boo." In the games however, Ghost Pokemon seem like real ghosts. Like in FRLG the Ghost Marowak, and all those creepy dex entries. I think that when Pokemon die they become ghosts of themselves and then, in time, become Ghost typed Pokemon.

The fact that they can hatch from eggs leads me to say no, but the fact that Spiritomb is a being made up of spirits leads me to say yes. I'll try to explain my theory fully later on, once I can actually understand it myself...

What happens when a ghost Pokemon dies? Does it become a different ghost Pokemon, or come back as the same ghost Pokemon? Or can a ghost Pokemon EVEN die?

(I like making people think about things that are impossible to completely answer.)

Depends on the pokey.

The standard ghost type, I view as being 'demons' of the Pokemon world - not deceased, as they never had a body to begin with. This would apply to Gastly's line, Misdreavus', Duskull's, etc.

However, there's also things like Froslass - legends say it's a woman who perished in a blizzard, but logic states it's merely a female Snorunt exposed to a Shiny Stone. However, what if it's both? By that I mean, the spirit of a woman possessing a Snorunt.

Then there's the things like Shuppet, Banette, Shedinja, Drifloon, the chandelier and golems, ect, which seem to be objects animated by supernatural forces. Which is precisely what I believe them to be - objects, possessed by the aforementioned demon concept.

Then there's Giratina, who merely has power over the 'pokemon underworld', which would explain his typing.

What happens when a ghost Pokemon dies? Does it become a different ghost Pokemon, or come back as the same ghost Pokemon? Or can a ghost Pokemon EVEN die?

(I like making people think about things that are impossible to completely answer.)

Ghosts are usually already dead. Ghosts are really spirits, just with a somewhat evil twist to them. However, that brings up a new question. How does a ghost-type pokemon faint if ghosts are those of the dead?

When one uses a Revive on a Ghost-type, why is it still a ghost?

It's simple: 42. Just like the answer to the secret of life.

Ghost pokemon are that, pokemon that share traits with "human" ghosts. I think Ghost pokemon can be "touched" when they don't feel harm, but, in battle, they aren't be touched by Normal and Fighting type moves because those actions are meant to hurt. The pokedex entries could be myths from various places or old legends asociated with them, like Arcanine's legendary status in China or Slowpoke's heroic actions in Azalea town ( a Slowpoke ended a severe drough by releasing a loud yawn, thus, causing rain ). That's my opinion.

I think the ghosts in Lavender town are ACTUAL pokemon ghosts. I think ghost pokemon are just pokemon that have ghost like qualities.

Last edited:
The very first games PROVED pokemon don't turn into ghost types when they die, so I don't know why people keep on pushing that rumor as true. Also I thought everyone agreed--dex entries usually exaggerate information or just go with whatever sounds cool. They all can't be true, not when you remember some of these entries talk about a very specific story (the thousand souls thing) and this story can't apply to EVERY pokemon of that species.

But, ya, anyways...

Ghost pokemon aren't ghosts, it's just a name given to explain their ghostly appearance and attacks. You guys don't actually believe the Ghost shark is a real ghost do you? Or that the Tasmanian devil is actually a demon?

They're just a species that resemble ghosts. I mean, Ghastly isn't really dead, it's just...there. And I bet if something could kill all Pokémon, it would kill ghost types just like the rest of them.

I think Ghosts are a type of their own, so I chose "species" of their own.

One of the things about Ghost Pokemon is that there are Pokemon that are obviously living creatures, like Pururiru and Burunkeru, whom are jellyfish, and have ghost characteristics (like their softness, rendering them immune to Fighting moves). Drifloon and Drifblim follows the same example, as they also don't look "spectral". Froslass is where the Ghost type proves to be a characteristic, because she is the only species that earns this type by evolution.

Another thing about Ghost Pokemon is that, besides a special few, can breed. In fact, many of them are in the Indeterminate category, which are where the Pokemon classified as blob-like are, and thus can breed with some weird ones like Wobbuffet and Rankurusu line, among others, and the ability to breed is a sign that the Pokemon is alive. The few whom are not breedable (Shedinja and Giratina) are probably counted as "dead", especially Shedinja. Giratina is probably immortal.

This brings us to the next question: are Ghosts immortal, as in cannot die? Obviously, everything living thing has to have death, but with some species being based on living things (Burunkeru), there has to be. So I guess Ghost Pokemon are living things that can die, but again, with certain exception (Shedinja! especially).

I think its a bit of both.
Some like Drifloon, the jellyghosts, Froslass aren't really actual dead pokemon.

But Desumasu's (Desukan's pre evo) pokedex entry says something like ''The mask it carries is the face of when it was alive'' , which would imply, it did really die.

Aside from that, I think they're probably just a species of their own.

I think they are living Pokemon with ghostly qualities. But as PinkGyara pointed out, some evidence for certain Ghost Pokemon being dead exists.

So... to those who said Ghost Poke's are, in one form or another, spirits of the deceased, do PEOPLE die and become Ghost Poke's as well? :uhoh:

Actually it seems that, according to it's pokedex entry, the new coffin pokemon was a human in a former life.

i believe that some ghost types are spirits of deceseased pokemon such as the marowak ghost, but i think that the ghost type it self is it's own species.

imo, the ghost type is probably on of the most intriging of types, as there isn't really a lot of good known information on it:/

Eh, Nintendo loves to leave us with these gaping holes in what's true and what isn't. That's the fun in these things, we fill 'em in ourselves.

Now that other people have voiced their opinion, I believe that Pokemon that don't look like much of anything, like the Gastly family, could be, as others have stated, Pokemon that share similarities with spirits. Pokemon such as Banette and Shandera, who resemble actual objects, could be classified as demonic possession. But some Pokemon, such as Shedinja, are confirmed to be dead, and are treated as such.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom