• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.
  • Announcing the National Bulbagraphic photography contest, open to entries from New Pokémon Snap and Sword and Shield, with prizes for the winners! A thread with all the details on how to enter can be found here.

Are high power stat-lowering moves worth it?

Reaction score
Do you think high power stat-lowering moves worth it, like Overheat, Draco Meteor, and Leaf Storm worth it? Or is it better to use a weaker move with no drawbacks? For instance, you could use Heat Wave, however most pokemon that learn Overheat can also learn Fire Blast (which has no drawbacks, but less accuracy.)

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
I feel that when a move has a drawback that harsh, it's not worth using. Which is why I tend to avoid recoil moves like Double-Edge, its counterparts, and others. Even if it has high power, if the "recoil" (so to speak) is too compromising, then it shouldn't be used. For example: Emboar learns Take Down, Flare Blitz, and Hammer Arm naturally, and can learn moves like Overheat and Wild Charge. Though those moves pack a nice punch, it's the drawback that keeps me away. So, no, I don't feel they are worth it, especially when the either do massive recoil damage or sharply cut a stat.

MrC

Is Confirmed
Reaction score
Well, I don't really use them, but I sometimes do (My Torterra with Leaf Storm, my Gurdurr with Hammer Arm, my Arcanine with Wild Charge, etc.).

Something for nothing
Reaction score
Yes in some cases such as having a mixed dragonite with the moves Draco Metor,Outrage,Icepunch and Earthquake it could use D.M to do massive damage and still use the other moves with the same power as before.

Over all yes I think they are worth it if you know how to use them right.

Your Rain
Reaction score
Over all yes I think they are worth it if you know how to use them right.
Exactly this.
If your Pokémon is powerful enough, with a single attack like that could K.O. your enemy.

Reaction score
It depends. I like to use them as either OHKO's or finishing moves. Or if the Pokemon can restore the stat reduction, like Celebi knowing Nasty Plot and Leaf Storm.

The Egg Mouse Pokemon. :P
Reaction score
I use them on some of my team..mainly suicide sweepers, but other times I use them in a pinch and then attack with the stat that didn't get lowered. :p

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
These attacks are best used in a sort of hit-and-run tactic, lashing out with an extremely powerful attack, then switching the stat drops away.

DCM

Man Skilled In All Ways of Contending
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
depends on what stats it affects. Suicide leads and sweepers do well with Close Combat. Draco Meteor is generally good for spamming. It's a case by case basis.

Glorious Goo
Reaction score
It depends on who's using the moves and the strategy behind it. I use those moves primarily on mixed attackers like infernape who can use a high powered special like overheat to blast down a physical wall then fall back on its physical moves and u-turn to recharge :)

On hold, not abandoned
Reaction score
I don't normally use those moves after how weak Draco Meteor turned out. But if it's a last resort or you can trade out or raise the stats again, then it's worth it.

Also, DW Serperior + Leaf Storm = evil. Very worth it.
(DW Serperior have Contrary. With it, lowered stats become power-ups instead, and vice-versa)

Glorious Goo
Reaction score
^ Draco Meteor weak isn't weak when used on the right mon, on the right moveset. Salamence with draco meteor, outrage, earthquake and flamethrower tore up the metagame almost as much as garchomp did because nothing could switch in and it would always get at least one kill.

Australia is my city
Reaction score
I believe they can. Like a dragonite with only Draco meteor as a sp.atk move.

If you can restore it thats good.

Also if you can suicide it's all worth it in the end.

the future is not written
Reaction score
As I don't play in the metagame, sure. My friends and the NPCs aren't well-versed in metagame tactics (with the exception of Ghetsis (Protect + Toxic) and the trainers in Challenger's Cave (stat boost + baton pass), so I don't mind using them since I'm going to win anyway.