• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are high power stat-lowering moves worth it?

Pokestar

Reaction score
Do you think high power stat-lowering moves worth it, like Overheat, Draco Meteor, and Leaf Storm worth it? Or is it better to use a weaker move with no drawbacks? For instance, you could use Heat Wave, however most pokemon that learn Overheat can also learn Fire Blast (which has no drawbacks, but less accuracy.)

I feel that when a move has a drawback that harsh, it's not worth using. Which is why I tend to avoid recoil moves like Double-Edge, its counterparts, and others. Even if it has high power, if the "recoil" (so to speak) is too compromising, then it shouldn't be used. For example: Emboar learns Take Down, Flare Blitz, and Hammer Arm naturally, and can learn moves like Overheat and Wild Charge. Though those moves pack a nice punch, it's the drawback that keeps me away. So, no, I don't feel they are worth it, especially when the either do massive recoil damage or sharply cut a stat.

Well, I don't really use them, but I sometimes do (My Torterra with Leaf Storm, my Gurdurr with Hammer Arm, my Arcanine with Wild Charge, etc.).

Yes in some cases such as having a mixed dragonite with the moves Draco Metor,Outrage,Icepunch and Earthquake it could use D.M to do massive damage and still use the other moves with the same power as before.

Over all yes I think they are worth it if you know how to use them right.

It depends. I like to use them as either OHKO's or finishing moves. Or if the Pokemon can restore the stat reduction, like Celebi knowing Nasty Plot and Leaf Storm.

I use them on some of my team..mainly suicide sweepers, but other times I use them in a pinch and then attack with the stat that didn't get lowered. :p

These attacks are best used in a sort of hit-and-run tactic, lashing out with an extremely powerful attack, then switching the stat drops away.

depends on what stats it affects. Suicide leads and sweepers do well with Close Combat. Draco Meteor is generally good for spamming. It's a case by case basis.

It depends on who's using the moves and the strategy behind it. I use those moves primarily on mixed attackers like infernape who can use a high powered special like overheat to blast down a physical wall then fall back on its physical moves and u-turn to recharge :)

I don't normally use those moves after how weak Draco Meteor turned out. But if it's a last resort or you can trade out or raise the stats again, then it's worth it.

Also, DW Serperior + Leaf Storm = evil. Very worth it.
(DW Serperior have Contrary. With it, lowered stats become power-ups instead, and vice-versa)

^ Draco Meteor weak isn't weak when used on the right mon, on the right moveset. Salamence with draco meteor, outrage, earthquake and flamethrower tore up the metagame almost as much as garchomp did because nothing could switch in and it would always get at least one kill.

I believe they can. Like a dragonite with only Draco meteor as a sp.atk move.

If you can restore it thats good.

Also if you can suicide it's all worth it in the end.

As I don't play in the metagame, sure. My friends and the NPCs aren't well-versed in metagame tactics (with the exception of Ghetsis (Protect + Toxic) and the trainers in Challenger's Cave (stat boost + baton pass), so I don't mind using them since I'm going to win anyway.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom