• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are Pokémon fans incapable of suspending their disbelief?

PDL

Not into Ponies I swear!
Reaction score
Looking around the fourms, it's common to see people posting threads about things such as explaining "anime physics" and "game logic".

Why is it that Pokémon fans absolutely need an explaination for everything? Are they even capable of just enjoying something at face value?

If this doesn't fit the anime section, feel free to move to to the appropriate section

I guess people just like a little explaination behind different things. And because of their love of speculation.

I'm kind of the same way but only with certain things.

Complaining is sport... we're hoping it'll make the Olympic program in 2020, so in the mean time, we're intensely training.

Seriously, I don't really have a problem with it, as long as it fits the storyline and that it works in the battle. Rule of cool helps.

Most like anime physics and stuff really don't bother me, but what does annoy me a lot is the extent of teh sparkulz in contests. Anime physics don't bother me with like Ash carrying a 100lb hippo on his head, because that's just kinda stuff on the side. Fireworks coming out of something like water hitting a rock though, is just unbelievable and I feel like that really takes away from some of the contests. Some coordinators can pull of great appeals that don't involve making sparkles, or giant wings, or something like that, and I feel like all contest appeals and battles should be more like that.

Everyone wants an explanation for something, not just Pokemon fans. Live action explosion-happy movies don't make that much sense either, but people expect some aspect of it to explain itself.

Those crazy about something DEFINITELY want explanations to factors that are not explained, and since they are not explained, what's wrong with making up stuff that is a logical deduction based on information that is already given?

I see a lot of people make comments like these throughout the threads, and I have to say why do you even bother posting? There is no harm to this in any way.

DA SPARKLEZ = MAGIC cough... I need my daily dose of da sparklez!!!

DA SPARKLEZ = MAGIC cough... I need my daily dose of da sparklez!!!

When you are dealing with visual mediums, its' sometimes necessary to use those steryotypes.

People grew up thinking sparkles/lights are associated with magic. It's a social viewpoint.

No I'm not saying that da sparklez is actual magic. It just magically makes an episode a thousand times better...

Pokemon is first and foremost, a fictional cartoon. So, it technically does not have any "physics" or "rules." That I understand, and have come to accept.

However, it's just too much fun to see arguments (or partake in them) about the "fanon" view of the matter. I mean, without fan speculation and wild theories, where would these great forums go?

Wait...never mind.

But in all seriousness, I'm sure every fandom takes things too seriously. I guess Pokemon takes a comfortable position at the top of the mayhem. Argue and rejoice, fellow fans. Help feed the fandumb flame(s?) that keeps the vitality of this fandom strong!

lol fans cant help themselves, heck even i get caught up in the mess. but whats exactly wrong with an anime displaying real physics every once in a awhile you know?

Fandom and love of speculation, as two other people have already said. That's all it is lol.

You love or enjoy something so much, you just want to talk about it. Speculate about it. So people do, and here's what you get. A forum with hundreds of thousands of posts speculating about what's going to happen next. [x

My guess is that people become bored with it and try to find out every single fucking thing possible(in fiction which is just lol) or they are completely obsessed and wanna found out everything(again it's fiction which is just lol).

I used to do it too, I think I have like 3 threads I've made about anime physics but some people just take it too far.

Of course Pokemon fans are caapable of suspending their disbelief, they're watching a show about animals that shoot fire/ice/... and are kept trapped in small balls by travelling 10 year olds.

Complaining is sport... we're hoping it'll make the Olympic program in 2020, so in the mean time, we're intensely training.

2020? We're not going for the next Olympics? What was all this hard work for then? :p

Some people just like to explain things, even the little ones. And I agree with Ryuu; it's because of fandumb.

It's the pokemon fandom. People just want something to complain and bitch about, especially since the few things they can legitimately bitch about these days are far and few between.

I'm also surprised about the lack of Suspension of Disbelief around here. Did everyone get their imaginations zapped out of them or something?

2020? We're not going for the next Olympics? What was all this hard work for then? :p
We're too tiny, so we need a couple more years to work these fingers and lungs. Can't beat fandoms of the Big Three shounene manga if we don't after all.

Looking around the fourms, it's common to see people posting threads about things such as explaining "anime physics" and "game logic".

Why is it that Pokémon fans absolutely need an explaination for everything?

Counterquestion: Why is it that Pokemon fans spend many many hours of their free time with something that, according to your opinion, doesn't obey the laws of physics or logic at all?
Either those people haven't thought about this yet or they are completely aware of the fact that Pokemon does have certain logical rules, which entitles adults to watch the series without being called crazy

If you have enough time to watch something childish without any purpose, well then, fine for you. I for once only concern myself with things that I deem reasonable and worth busying myself with.

And again, I'd like to repeat what some other users already said: Why bother complaining about those users who allegedly are "incapable of suspending their disbelief" in the first place?
What's wrong about wanting questions?
For an intelligent mind it's perfectly legitimate to search and ask for explanations whenever you come across problems.

And if some users should have reached the point where all they can say is : "Oh well, it's just a stupid illogical cartoon, just nice Saturday/Sunday morning entertainment", then I want them to honestly think about their attitude towards Pokemon and ask themselves if they are still real "fans"

Counterquestion: Why is it that Pokemon fans spend many many hours of their free time with something that, according to your opinion, doesn't obey the laws of physics or logic at all?

Easy. Because it's fun time waster.

Either those people haven't thought about this yet or they are completely aware of the fact that Pokemon does have certain logical rules, which entitles adults to watch the series without being called crazy

I see what your problem is. You like Pokémon, but your afraid of what others think of it. That's pretty immature of you.

If you have enough time to watch something childish without any purpose, well then, fine for you. I for once only concern myself with things that I deem reasonable and worth busying myself with.

And yet you have the time to moan and complain about said childish thing on an internet forum. Do you see any irony in this?

And again, I'd like to repeat what some other users already said: Why bother complaining about those users who allegedly are "incapable of suspending their disbelief" in the first place?
What's wrong about wanting questions?
For an intelligent mind it's perfectly legitimate to search and ask for explanations whenever you come across problems.

Yes, but there comes a point where someone should come up with their own explainations and stick with that... Or just realise that it's a fictional TV show/video game and accept that as a hobby.

And if some users should have reached the point where all they can say is : "Oh well, it's just a stupid illogical cartoon, just nice Saturday/Sunday morning entertainment", then I want them to honestly think about their attitude towards Pokemon and ask themselves if they are still real "fans"

Why don't you ask yourself why you feel the need to analyze something to death. It only makes you look like an obsessive dweeb. Oh, and throwing around the term "real fan" makes you sound like a enormous shithead. It falls squarely into Fandumb.

No offense, but I've seen many of your posts, and while you present many "questions", you also come off as an obnoxious asshole who wants to ruin other's enjoyment by jumping to conclusions and being pissy about things that you don't like. That's what is most obnoxious.

It's fine to speculate, but there comes a point where it kills the "wonder". It's like dissecting a frog. You know how it works, but you kill it in the process.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom