• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Are Scarlet and Violet the worst Pokemon games?

but the other day the game crashed when I was playing and i lose all the progress,
This is why I've been telling people to leave autosave on. I've had 5 crashes so far, but thanks to autosave I've only lost minutes of progress at the most.

I do actually agree with you about these being the worst Pokemon games ever, but that seems to be a very rare opinion. I'm saddled with a large amount of bugs, many of them gameplay breaking... the latency and low framerate is driving me crazy, I don't like most of the characters, and while some of the stories are interesting, overall they are just bland. I am also a huge fan of open world games, but The open world in this game is just frustrating me.
I mean, some designers are sick, splendid, and I already love them. But there are a fair amount that seem to be among the worst in the franchise (Gholdengo, Spidops, Nymble, Garganacl, etc...) That, not to mention the failed attempts to replace everyone's favorite Godzilla Pokemon (Baxcalibur and Iron thorns).
And to be fair to the new games, EVERY generation is like this. Generation 1 had some really awesome, and really bad designs. As did Generation 2, 3, 4, etc.

This is why I've been telling people to leave autosave on. I've had 5 crashes so far, but thanks to autosave I've only lost minutes of progress at the most.
Shouldn't it be auto-save off? If you got stuck in a loop, and it was saved, then you're really screwed, you would have to start the game all over. Best is to save the game manually often, and use your judgment on that.

-

Until we get a DLC, and possibly a patch, little early to fully decide.

going to agree with the "yeah i disagree with you" crowd in this thread. the framerate drops are most certainly annoying, but i think on the technical side that's the worst i've ever experienced? my game has never crashed (no seriously, not once), and aside from minor glitches that are of my own doing, i haven't really had many technical hiccups at all. that's not to say that they don't happen, but i don't experience them /shrugs

that said, i'm only nearing end-game, but i like the characters introduced so far, and team star so far is tbh less boring than i expected which is definitely pleasing. once again, another generation where pokemon gets the characters right, and this is after SwSh where Leon and Hop were, imo, pretty well-written characters in their own right.

No lol, not even close. It's not even top 5 worst, it might not even be top 10 worst. This is a MASSIVE over exaggeration, since, objectively, Red/Blue are the worst games in the franchise due to the lack of content and QoL updates. That's just the nature of being a 26 year old game, but even by modern standards SV has an abundance of content and is probably the largest Pokemon game yet. Contest-wise it's one of the better games if not the best game, graphically it has it's issues, sure, but so do other Pokemon games. It's not Legends: Arceus, ORAS, or USUM levels of good, but it's still a solid game, it's a helluva lot better than Sword and Shield. Sword and Shield are maybe the worst Pokemon games on the Switch and I say that including BDSP and LGPE. BDSP and LGPE, while they have their issues, objectively accomplished what they set out to do, which was provide authentic Gen 1 and Gen 4 experiences, even down to the archaic game design choices.
if you use X+B+D-pad Up on the title screen you can access the backup data that the game automatically saves along the way anyways.
Damn is this for real? So the game essentially autosaves frequently even if you have it turned off, it's just not the normally-accessed save profile?

Shouldn't it be auto-save off? If you got stuck in a loop, and it was saved, then you're really screwed, you would have to start the game all over. Best is to save the game manually often, and use your judgment on that.

-

Until we get a DLC, and possibly a patch, little early to fully decide.
Can you get stuck in a loop? I let my autosave on, and didnt know that.

Far from it in my opinion. While from a strictly technical point, then yes technically it's the worst, however from an actual gameplay point, definitely not the worse. Being able to explore and adventure wherever you want while also exploring three different storylines deems it as one of the better games. I also quite enjoyed the final battles/storyline leading to the end of the game. Also, while I was initially concerned about Team Star and getting a third 'lame team' in a row, I ended up liking them more than Team Skull and definitely more than Team Yell (The team I despise the most).

With that said, if Gamefreak decide to severely limit the customisation in the next generation of games, I'll rage. Even from a lore point it was an annoying decision, since we spend most of the game away from the school anyway.

No, I tell people to leave autosave on. I haven't experienced a save loop, and I've had 7 crashes so far... Autosave has been a life saver.

In some aspects it might be? In terms of glitches it seems to be the worst currently and not in a cool fun way that RB and DP glitches were (stuff like Missigno, Mew on the Nugget bridge and walking through walls to catch Arceus). Although it kind of depends on luck. I think I ran into more game breaking glitches while playing PLA than SV (getting stuck in the ground after landing and Cherrim being uncatchable).

Other aspects are a mixed bag. The textures are nice but the lack of character customization feels like a step backwards after the improved options in SWSH. I think this problem could easily have been solved by letting us at least change the color of the pants. It wouldn't be too time consuming to implement but it would make a huge difference.

Not using PLA's catching mechanics and not having Pokémon attack you in the overworld is the worst change imo. PLA isn't even a year old and they are already removing good and popular features for arbitrary reasons. Sure, they do this all the time but since PLA just came out it is even more noticeable. I keep trying to sneak up on Pokémon just because that is now how my muscle memory works.

Having more diversity among the NPCs is awesome. More skin colors, female bodybuilders and a beautiful professor with abs. I still don't think the female characters are as good as the male ones but they certainly get to be important to the plot this time. The only other games that really give the girls the spotlight are SM and to a lesser extent the postgame of ORAS and XY.

Sada and Turo having almost the same dialogue and personality is jarring though especially after playing ORAS which did a good job with giving Archie and Maxie different personalities. I also think Area Zero could use some visual differences too like how Opelucid City changes in BW.

The message of being critical of what you read and the media you consume is good and relevant right now but to be honest it wasn't what I expected the main focus of the plot to be. Also did they really have to use the
evil mom/dad plot again!?

Not having Pokemon attack you in the overworld?

Then i guess i have been playing PLA with Regional Tauros included, since it keeps attacking me.

Not having Pokemon attack you in the overworld?

Then i guess i have been playing PLA with Regional Tauros included, since it keeps attacking me.
They probably mean how Pokémon can actually hurt you without necessarily initiating battle; in SV they just trigger a regular battle if they approach you.

Not even remotely close imo. The only 3D era pokemon game I'd place over S/V is probably USUM, but that has the benefit of being a third version, so this may change when gen 9 DLC drops.

For all its performance woes and lack of polish the game has the widest scope of any project gamefreak has done. The game almost feels like the anithesis to Sword and Shield with how it approaches its world and exploration. If you look at games like Platinum, HGSS/ BW2, as this untouchable mount rushmore of pokemon games, I'd say S/V is the closest we've gotten to the games actually being that fun again. I wouldn't consider it the best (though I'm sure many understandably would) but I definitely think its in the upper tier of the series, especiallyyyy with how the games in recent years have been.

The main adventure pre-credits is a blast, even though it has its faults. It's still miles better than SwSh.

The post-game, or lack thereoff, is a major let-down. We're talking things you could do repeatedly. I'm not into Shiny hunting, and I'm waiting for the Home-update next year to transfer my 5 IV Ditto to start breeding new Pokémon for either some multiplayer matches or hypothetical DLC content.

Apart from the visual errors, there's still enough to be critical about. Even though the story and the characters, the new designs, and a big part of the open world are very enjoyable.

The post-game, or lack thereoff, is a major let-down. We're talking things you could do repeatedly. I'm not into Shiny hunting, and I'm waiting for the Home-update next year to transfer my 5 IV Ditto to start breeding new Pokémon for either some multiplayer matches or hypothetical DLC content.

No more than other recent Pokemon games really. And I think with the games going open world, we're going to be shifting away from the notion of "post game content". Having content that unlocks after the credits roll conflicts with the open world design philosophy of having a giant open area where you can go anywhere you want and do anything you want from the start. Now we could use more side modes along the lines of Contests, Secret Bases, the Battle Frontier, etc., but that's been a recurring problem throughout the 3D games and there are other games that you could criticize for the same things (XY, LGPE, SwSh before the Expansion Pass, I'm also disappointed with what USUM added in that department). I suspect DLC will alleviate this somewhat just like SwSh's did.

Having content that unlocks after the credits roll conflicts with the open world design philosophy of having a giant open area where you can go anywhere you want and do anything you want from the start.
How so? Plenty of open world games open up new areas after the main quest is done, most of them precisely because of the events that happened there and thus couldn't be available during the main quest.

So yeah, i don't get why we can't have postgame content just because it's an open world game.

How so? Plenty of open world games open up new areas after the main quest is done, most of them precisely because of the events that happened there and thus couldn't be available during the main quest.

So yeah, i don't get why we can't have postgame content just because it's an open world game.

I haven't seen much of this and again, it detracts from the open world experience of "go wherever you want and do whatever you want" if you CAN'T go to a particular area that unlocks with the story.

Also keep in mind the context. @AngryBinacle's issue was the lack of recurring sidequests and side content. Adding more unlockable areas wouldn't fix that because they're not recurring, once you've explored the area in its entirety, caught all of the Pokemon, and fought all of the trainers, it's done, there's nothing else to do there. The game needs more sidequests/side content (something like Contests, Secret Bases, the Battle Frontier, etc.) to fix that problem, and there's little to nothing along those lines that needs to be held back until a particular point in the story.

I haven't seen much of this and again, it detracts from the open world experience of "go wherever you want and do whatever you want" if you CAN'T go to a particular area that unlocks with the story.
Bethesda has plenty of areas that only unlock after the main story is done and people cream all over their open worlds. And again, i fail to see how it goes against anything because there's no rule that open worlds shouldn't have unlockable content.

And if anything unlockable areas make it so the world is reacting to what is happening and changing according to it instead of being a static place where nothing changes. You know, like a believable world instead of a theme park, which the latter is the worst thing an open world can be.

Bethesda has plenty of areas that only unlock after the main story is done and people cream all over their open worlds.

That explains it, I've never played anything from Bethesda other than Skyrim and that does not have any unlockable areas, just DLC areas.

And again, i fail to see how it goes against anything because there's no rule that open worlds shouldn't have unlockable content.

There's no hard and fast rule, but it does go against the design philosophy and purpose behind open world. As for why, do I really need to keep explaining this? The whole point of open worlds is to let you go wherever you want. If you want to start the game and go straight to the end game area you can do that. If you just want to go to neighboring areas you can do that. If you just want to wander around you can do that. The game is basically designed as "here's all of the content in the game, now go have fun!". If you have to unlock stuff you can't really do that.

Now I do think there should be some leeway for the early and end game for tutorials and storyline endings, I don't think it needs to be strictly everything everything unlocked from the start. But as far as the context of this conversation, I don't think what AngryBinacle is looking for fits the category of stuff that needs to be reserved for storyline purposes, it's mostly unrelated to storyline issues.

And if anything unlockable areas make it so the world is reacting to what is happening and changing according to it instead of being a static place where nothing changes. You know, like a believable world instead of a theme park, which the latter is the worst thing an open world can be.

There are better ways to accomplish this than unlockable areas. Having dynamic changes to the wild Pokemon rosters (there's a good example of this at the end of the game where a greater variety of Paradox Pokemon spread throughout Area Zero after you beat A.I. Sada/Turo, likely as a result of you unlocking Zero Lab) or having new trainers show up there over the course of the game would create this dynamic without having to lock off sections of the world until a certain point in the game.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom